Turkey stickers...

You have got to be kidding me, someone thinks this ugly green dot will make turkey hunting safer?!
While I understand that turkey hunting has serious safety issues, this stupid green sticker BS is just that, BS. Completely pointless, feel-good legislation at its worst. And the scary thing is, the idiots at the National Wild Turkey Federation are behind this pointless crap.

Last edited:
While I understand that turkey hunting has serious safety issues, this stupid green sticker BS is just that, BS. Completely pointless, feel-good legislation at its worst. And the scary thing is, the idiots at the National Wild Turkey Federation are behind this pointless crap.
When I got the envelop filled with those stupid ass stickers I thought it was a joke on the part of the DFW.

How the hell can anyone think this was a good idea? Sheesh. (AND.... the adhesive sucks.)

I am waiting for the little buck stickers so I remember to safely shoot a deer with antlers instead of a doe...
Those stickers are an insult.

I did my license on line. Print out your license, no mailed ones anymore..if you need a sticker, send a self addressed stamped.....

Ah, no, that's ok

OK....I'm finishing my Hunter Safety course tomorrow, and based on the words and attitude of the guest EPO...he'd LOVE to write you a coupon (his term) for not having a sticker. And for having a slug round in your pocket.

If you're going to hunt turkey, put the sticker on the gun. Whether it will increase safety.....? But since the turkey hunting portion of the course was a litany of ways to get yourself shot : Don't drink pepsi (color of the can); when you set up, make sure that the tree is big enough to shield you from a shot from behind; Don't have anything on your person that's red, white, blue or black; when you hear a turkey gobble, don't stalk it, as it might be another hunter, and he'll think you're a tom, and shoot you; if you see another hunter, don't wave - the motion may attract a shot.....etc.

Apparently, there's a need, real or percieved for this sort of silly sticker-fun-time.

I'll wait till it's on sale at stop & Shop....[shocked][laugh][laugh]

Guys, the sticker is stupid. however, I have had the same sticker on my gun for about 6 years. I just leave it there. When I first got it I said "If I need a sticker on my gun to remind me not to shoot my friend, I got a problem"

I am not a hunter so pardon my ignorance but.... A. Whats the deal with the sticker, what is its purpose? B... Why is the pepsi can or red white and blue so bad for turkey hunting, and C... Why is turkey hunting any more dangerous than other animals?

I am not a hunter so pardon my ignorance but.... A. Whats the deal with the sticker, what is its purpose? B... Why is the pepsi can or red white and blue so bad for turkey hunting, and C... Why is turkey hunting any more dangerous than other animals?

A. It's placed so that you have no choice but to see when sighting down the barrel, so it "makes you think twice about what you're shooting at."

B. Turkey Toms are Red, White, Blue and Black - hunters key in on those colors (esp since red and blue together are somewhat rare in the woods).

C. You need to be fully camouflaged and hidden, or the turkeys will spot you. Many people also use calls to lure the birds in. The combination of not being seen in addition to making turkey noises makes for a dangerous combination when people don't make absolutely sure they know what they are shooting at. If you are sitting with a can of pepsi, you are just increasing the odds for a false id by making turkey noises with something that from a distance is the same color profile and rough size of a tom's head.

Ok that makes sense. I'm planning on taking the hunters safety course the next time it's offered at my club. I'm pretty clueless as to hunters safety thanks for the info.

Don't drink pepsi (color of the can)

If you are sitting with a can of pepsi, you are just increasing the odds for a false id by making turkey noises with something that from a distance is the same color profile and rough size of a tom's head.

That's why I drink Coca-Cola...

Sorry...had to do it [smile]

Yeah basically, don't assume the people you're sharing the woods with are smart enough to know their head from a rock. However, do assume that they will shoot at merely the thought of a shadow as opposed to verifying target and backdrop.

And yes, if it's codified that this sticker will make you safer, I'm sure they'll do anything they can to recover any revenue they can. I didn't grow up around turkey hunting, but it sounds like a real cluster out here.

107962065_f054f51b24.jpg

46491-PepsiL.jpg

I don't have the stats WRT accidents/hunter days, but the course is about safety, and the horror stories are what get the attention.

There was also a discussion of the may ways that you could seriously screw yourself up without a tree stand harness, or by using it wrong.

It's almost like they're trying to scare you away from going out into the woods!

There was also a discussion of the may ways that you could seriously screw yourself up without a tree stand harness, or by using it wrong.

It's almost like they're trying to scare you away from going out into the woods!
I can imagine- 20 ft up, crash! Welcome to the hike from hell if the fall didn't kill you. So is fair chase by and large too dangerous out here?

We didn't cover stands at all when I took hunter safety, the instructor just told us they exist and we could find them in catalogs. (ah the days before Internet brought the knowledge of the world.)

I can imagine- 20 ft up, crash! Welcome to the hike from hell if the fall didn't kill you.
A significant proportion of people who use tree stands fall out of them. The resulting fall can be crippling or fatal. Get a good harness and wear it.

So is fair chase by and large too dangerous out here?
You won't be able to sneak up on a turkey, and it is pretty darn hard to do on a deer as well.

Back
Top Bottom