Turkey hunting 2010

Let me preface this by saying I am a hunting NOOB. I've never officially hunted anything except squirrels as a kid with my pellet gun.

I am not sure about deer hunting just yet, but I am ready for turkey for sure! I want to bag a bird in 2010. I live in NH

What do I need to do? I know I will need:
-Hunting permit: This means scheduling to take a course and I need to do it this winter to be ready for the spring season. Any advice on a good place to take a course? How much can I expect to pay?
-Shotgun: This is easier. I will research, source and find a gun.
-Gear: Full camo, head to foot....

Does everyone suggest a guided type hunt for a first timer? Can i go about it solo or should I talk someone into tagging along?

Do turkey hunters typically get a bird each year? How does success rate compared to something like deer?

Get a good call (squawk box type is easy) and maybe a decoy. Find out where the turkeys are and go there and have a ball. Buy the best turkey loads and aim for the head. Turkey hunting is some of the most fun hunting around.

Fish and game and local shops will put on Turkey Hunting Seminars that can be very helpful to a new turkey hunter. One thing I'd suggest is get a turkey calling CD and listen to it in the car on the way to work. If you have a mouth call you can practice right along with it. Calling can make you or break you so make sure you practice.

Put your back up against a big tree to breakup your outline and to keep yourself safe from others. Also, don't stalk turkeys, especially hen sounds as it could be another hunter. Do lots of scouting and know what areas they're in; understand if you see them in fields near the road, so don't everyone else...

Thanks for the responses, everyone!

Sounds like I just need to get out there!

I'm going to try to get the whole hunter certification thing out of the way this winter, but i'm having trouble since all the NH sites arent listing any more training courses or dates for 2009 and dont have any 2010 dates up on their site just yet. I can do all the stuff online, but i'll be at the whim of whenever the next "field day" certification is...im hoping its before the spring turkey season!

How about shotguns...not looking to go crazy here....

Any suggestions? Maybe one that I could use for deer, too, if I ever go that route? looking to keep it well under $500.....

I'm going to try to get the whole hunter certification thing out of the way this winter, but i'm having trouble since all the NH sites arent listing any more training courses or dates for 2009 and dont have any 2010 dates up on their site just yet. I can do all the stuff online, but i'll be at the whim of whenever the next "field day" certification is...im hoping its before the spring turkey season!

Any suggestions? Maybe one that I could use for deer, too, if I ever go that route? looking to keep it well under $500.....

You dont need anything special for turkey. 12ga 3" is fine. An $89 single shot gun will get you a Turkey if you put it on him.

Look into Mossberg, especially their combos. They'll sell a 12 gauge combo with a turkey barrel and a slug barrel for deer.

Look into Mossberg, especially their combos. They'll sell a 12 gauge combo with a turkey barrel and a slug barrel for deer.

I just picked up Mossberg 535 Turkey/Waterfowl combo at Dicks for $339.00 last night. It is a great feeling gun and comes with all chokes from IC to XX-full. They also have a Turkey/Deer combo.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/default.asp?id=11&section=products

I ran into a guy at the range who picked up a Mossberg combo turkey/slug for well under $500 at Dick's. I think it may have even come with a scope. He seemed to like it.

Back
Top Bottom