• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Turkey hunter shot in MA

I’ve turkey hunted off and on since the season opened up and have always heard and been advised, don’t stalk turkeys. Scout, set up and call em in. Don’t stalk turkey.

I’ve stalked them for years and settle in once I’m in a few hundred yards. Never an issue and I’ve never accidentally shot anyone either

Know your target and what’s beyond. It’s really that simple.
I never thought about this until I saw the earlier video posted in this thread where the guy is sitting still in a goddamn ghillie suit. I can see how this happens when there's some guy sitting silently, blending in with a tree, completely motionless for hours. Wear orange or get shot.

My son and I gave up turkey hunting because we had several fools stalking us while we were calling. Not the way the game should be played!!!
Scout preseason, set up during the season in a good location and call the turkey to you. Too bad some ruin the sport for others.

I never thought about this until I saw the earlier video posted in this thread where the guy is sitting still in a goddamn ghillie suit. I can see how this happens when there's some guy sitting silently, blending in with a tree, completely motionless for hours. Wear orange or get shot.

That “hunter” did not know his target. You don’t just shoot AT an animal, they have kill zones and that’s where you aim. That idiot shot at a noise, which was not just one hunter, but 3.
Why you call it a “ godamned” ghillie suit is beyond me. First it’s camo , not a ghillie suit and second, turkeys have incredible eye sight so not wearing camo makes hunting them exponentially more difficult.

Stop blaming the victim for the act of the guilty person.

Do you even need camo this year? things are everywhere. [rofl]

I saw a bunch of them literally walking the street in west cambridge. I've also seen a shitload of them as roadkill this year, more than ever before.

-Mike

In my opinion, that wouldn't be stalking at that distance, but locating.
Correct. Much less danger of hitting another hunter when your outside of 100 yards of a flock and call the birds in to you.

I am looking farward to hunting on my own land...
Ive been throwing people out because i dont have to deal with this kind of stuff
WMAs and other known public spots just aren't safe.

As was suggested earlier a hunter orange cap between sits is a good idea. A fluorescent orange tree strap for the tree you are using to protect your backside is a good idea as well.

I rarely hunt turkey anymore as I have had two close calls. I would have been hit the second time if I didn't choose a good backstop for protection.

He knew that I was there as I told him where I was going when I saw him sitting on the trail when I was walking in. I was dropping down the other side of the ridge so I didn't interfere with his hunt.

It was the usual story where he was sneaking in on the bird I was working. I got busted by the tom and he circled around behind me and them it was Blam Blam and I had shot ripping through the woods around me.

The worst part of it all is that my brother knew the guy and he had already shot some else hunting a few years prior to my run in with him. Needless to say I haven't hunted there since.

Choose your backstop well.

Bob

That's why you sit with your back to a large tree that is wider than your shoulders preferably.

Bob

This x 1,000,000. That being said, as a guy who has hunted turkey in NH for years, there is no excuse for shooting a person while turkey hunting if it is being done properly. Period. Exclamation point. Here's my 2018 Spring Bird, taken in Stoddard, NH this morning.

Attachments

• DAD SPRING TURKEY 2018 #1.JPG
    DAD SPRING TURKEY 2018 #1.JPG
    190.3 KB · Views: 14
Do you even need camo this year? things are everywhere. [rofl]

I saw a bunch of them literally walking the street in west cambridge.

Business casual has been approved for the 2018 Spring Turkey Season...

I won't go anywhere without my dickie.

iu

If I'm calling, and a hunter comes "stalking" within 50 yards of me, I'm going to call that person an idiot. I'm not that good at calling.

As was suggested earlier a hunter orange cap between sits is a good idea. A fluorescent orange tree strap for the tree you are using to protect your backside is a good idea as well.

I rarely hunt turkey anymore as I have had two close calls. I would have been hit the second time if I didn't choose a good backstop for protection.

He knew that I was there as I told him where I was going when I saw him sitting on the trail when I was walking in. I was dropping down the other side of the ridge so I didn't interfere with his hunt.

It was the usual story where he was sneaking in on the bird I was working. I got busted by the tom and he circled around behind me and them it was Blam Blam and I had shot ripping through the woods around me.

The worst part of it all is that my brother knew the guy and he had already shot some else hunting a few years prior to my run in with him. Needless to say I haven't hunted there since.

Choose your backstop well.

Bob

Maybe it's time for a change in the law.. You shoot someone in a hunting accident = lifetime ban from hunting in the state. Never able to buy license or tags again. People that careless - as in the example above - shouldn't be hunting. Either that or allow us to return fire... but I'm sure the state wouldn't go for that so lifetime ban should do it.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom