Turkey hunter shot and killed while hunting

This is a sad story...know one knows what really happened besides the boy that shot that old man. The young man should of had blaze orange around the tree he was under, and the old man should of had at least a hat or vest that was blaze orange. Even if he didn't have his orange on at least speak up and say something. I came across a guy with turkey decoys set up the other day while taking the dog for a run and I yelled out "Hey just walking the dog I'll be out in a minute" so that the hunter would know that 1. there is a person around and 2. don't shoot the dog. If I'm ever in the field turkey hunting or bow hunting for a deer during archery season where birds are not stocked I still wear my blaze orange while walking into or out of the woods even though by law I don't have to. Once I get set up I'll take off my orange. Common sense is what people should use when hunting. One of the rules in gun safety is make sure you know what your target is and what lies beyond it. I understand that a turkey is a small animal and it's tough to see them in the woods, most of the time you can only spot the red of the head. If I just see the red I'm not taking a shot because I don't know if there are other hunters in the surrounding area of where the bird is or if it's even a turkey....I don't know, just my 2 cents.

Forgot to add one thing...PLEASE FOR YOUR OWN SAKE DO NOT WALK AROUND IN THE WOODS MAKING TURKEY SOUNDS!!!!!!! sit down somewhere set up and call from there.

Last edited:
Its tough to mistake a person or a dog for a turkey, deer, etc.

Last season I was in my tree stand and a guy comes jogging through the woods wearing a white shirt... Obviously not too bright. Instead of getting pissed I pulled out the call and gave him a nice big buck grunt. I think he shat himself.

I think its a question of responsibility here gentlemen. Gotta remember, bullets travel far, turkey loads go further than a normal shotgun load... make sure you know what you're shooting at, don't spray and pray. Its called hunting not shooting. Remember ol' uncle carlos... one shot, one kill.

Last season I was in my tree stand and a guy comes jogging through the woods wearing a white shirt... Obviously not too bright. Instead of getting pissed I pulled out the call and gave him a nice big buck grunt. I think he shat himself.

I think its a question of responsibility here gentlemen. Gotta remember, bullets travel far, turkey loads go further than a normal shotgun load... make sure you know what you're shooting at, don't spray and pray. Its called hunting not shooting. Remember ol' uncle carlos... one shot, one kill.
I don't put much stock in newspaper accounts of accidents, especially firearms accidents. But if what they say is true and the distance was only 30 feet, the kid should have been able to clearly identify what he was aiming at. That shotgun blast, most likely fired through a full or modified choke, undoubtably made a real mess when it hit the unfortunate gentleman. Second victim is the kid who pulled the trigger. He will have the burden of that horror on his conscience for the rest of his life.

Sucks :(

Also while turkey hunting, if you see another hunter make sure to shout out LOUD, don't jump up and start waving or moving around real fast...

I'm very much of a novice hunter myself, but I get the hint from the fact that in the Hunter Safety Class there was a chapter dedicated to turkey hunting safety.

In Chinese, we say "An intelligent man doesn't stand next to a failing wall." Sometimes, that failing wall is a 17-yr old with turkey fever.

Not always so black and white when dealing with stupid people.

Here is a story from one of our members here that he posted on a hunting board. Scary stuff!!

Set up and called, Getting sleepy waiting, then I called in a Jake and gave him a pass but kept talking w/ him to bring in a Tom and to enjoy the jakes company. Then I hear a Gobble! So the shock zips thru my body and I wide eyed now. I see the Tom dancing in the bushes 20ish yards away. So I do some coax calls and I can see a turkey but he is not closing yet but moving back & forth just to the right of a Big oak. I will raise the gun when he goes behind the tree to come. Then I see something to the left of the oak, can't figure it out, but its movement and seems odd. Then finally I realize its a Stalk Hunter! WTF! So i whistle to him and he eases his attack, but the dekes keep him convinced, then I whistle again and he can't see me even though I am in the open against a tree and he is stading up too fixated on my dekes. Wasn't until I stood up that he conceded. Now you know how stupid people get shot! I mean he was waving a deke in the bushes as he stalked in, I told he of his luck to be lead free. And off I went. Made 6 set ups only 1 jake came in, better luck tomm.

I mean I was convined it was a turkey and my eyes said it was a Tom. Thank goodness I like to play them a bit before I shoot. I am no rookie and this idiot sold me w/ that deke. He was lucky it was not somebody else or we would be reading about him in the papers today!

Not always so black and white when dealing with stupid people.

Here is a story from one of our members here that he posted on a hunting board. Scary stuff!!

Yeah some people just don't use common sense. Yesterday, I was stalk hunting a Tom that I had been seeing the last few nights roost somewhere in that area. So I got about 30 yards away from the path that I saw tracks all over the place. About 8:30am I hear multiple hens and a gobbler coming down the path, when I can finally see what was coming it was two idiots walking down the path in full camo one with a box call and the other with a shake it gobble call, when I got up each of them also had mouth calls.

The kid who pulled the trigger should be in prison. There is absolutely NO excuse for this.

I have to agree.

I just don't understand how shooting at 'something' thinking it was a turkey, without having clearly identified a turkey, gets classified an 'accident'!

The cost to the victim and his family is too enormous to write this off as an accident!

Back
Top Bottom