Turkey down!

Nice! I got one on Monday also. An 18 1/2 pounder dressed out with a 10" beard.

turkey2009.jpg

Last edited:
Mike-Mike: I don't doubt you. But how did you do it? I'm quessing it was dry in the woods and windy as hell to cover your noise? Do tell.

To make a long story short. We had a turkey that was Hit and went into the field. We then walked up on him... when we got there he flew and we took him. We both looked at each other to say "he flew?" on the way back we found our Cripple.. Lucky I guess...

Good work, Hunter46. We have a few turkeys on the property around here. I'm convinced no man can stalk one. They are the most alert creatures on earth. Even to get one from a stand is admirable.

John

As we were setting up at the range late Saturday afternoon a good sized turkey comes walking over the berm. Then the damn thing just stops in the middle of the range for a nap or something.

Range rules prohibit shooting wildlife... and I'm not a hunter anyway. But we did get a bit tired of waiting. So I let a .223 round go about 100 feet to his right. The damn thing jumped about 10 feet in the air and then casually walked off.

I think the same bird gobbles after almost every rifle shot. Kinda like advertising its location.

This one seemed to be a few bricks short of a load... maybe it has sleep apnea or something?

[grin]

I think the same bird gobbles after almost every rifle shot. Kinda like advertising its location.

This one seemed to be a few bricks short of a load... maybe it has sleep apnea or something?

[grin]

I guess even turkeys have those few individuals who are alive despite of themselves... [smile]

I'm too lazy to look it up... Remington or Benelli Nova pump?

It is a Benelli Nova shooting Winchester Supreme 3in #5's.

I just got back from the Berkshires and was in the birds big time. I could have shot 2 more but I was trying to get a friend a bird. I would set up and do the calling.....He was really good at missing....twice. Still, it was super fun

To make a long story short. We had a turkey that was Hit and went into the field. We then walked up on him... when we got there he flew and we took him. We both looked at each other to say "he flew?" on the way back we found our Cripple.. Lucky I guess...

Mike, so you shot a bird that you did not know was there in the first place as you looked for the other cripple? And then got the original crip? The first bird must have been shitting himself hunkering down as you approached and then couldn't stand it anymore and flew. Can see that happening. I always run into turkeys when I'm standing in leaves and making noise. They always hear me and see me before I see them. When they fly, it's like a small Piper Cub taking off. Or a 25 pound partridge. Lot's of noise. My dog's once busted a hen with chicken-size chicks. Mom flew away, babys scattered, dogs got dick.

John

Back
Top Bottom