• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

TSA finds sword cane at Logan - man pleads ignorance…

This is one of those weapons that is so ridiculous I don't understand why they're illegal. Not just to carry but to buy/sell.

Understand you could say that about a thousand different stupid laws but this is up there with slingshots

I never really understood the allure of a sword cane. I would think that a knife inside the handle would be much more useful. You could use a 3" blade to peel an apple, open a box or letter, silently remove a sentry, cut a throat after knocking your assailant out with the cane or just whittle while you wait for your wife shopping. Trying to do that with a sword is just going to attract attention, not to mention weaken the cane by having it hollow all the way down. A blade hidden in the thick upper part by the handle would still allow the cane to be supportive and an impact weapon.

Also, a 1" retractable spike on the tip would be good for ice and getting people out of your way at the supermarket checkout line.

This is one of those weapons that is so ridiculous I don't understand why they're illegal. Not just to carry but to buy/sell.

Understand you could say that about a thousand different stupid laws but this is up there with slingshots

Holdupwhat? Slingshots are illegal in MA? LOL. That's one I didn't know.

Only in this state. I use mine to launch ninja stars and sword canes and nunchucks at people.

My mom had a sword cane for years and never knew it contained a sword.
yeah, a friend had one too. it didn't have that "sword-esqe" type handle though that the one pictured has but rather a more traditional grip. his 14 year old grandson found it inadvertently messing with the cane as kids will do.

Apparently we're the authority on these things in MA, maybe I should be more careful what I say [rofl]...according to NES they are legal to own but not to sell

View attachment 600422
the last time i looked, it was the same for "switchblade" type knives. when i was selling knives i couldn't sell them in massachusetts. but it was legal to buy in new hampshire and tote it back into mass. BUT NOT IN YOUR POCKET! that was carrying and a no no. but no law on owning. telling tales out of school, i'd buy them via online vendors and they would send the knife in one package and the guts to make it an auto opener in another. so assembly required. if i'm remembering this correctly, the feds made it illegal to send the springs/mechanism through the post. i don't know if that included a private carrier like ups, fedex and the like.

Holdupwhat? Slingshots are illegal in MA? LOL. That's one I didn't know.

Only in this state. I use mine to launch ninja stars and sword canes and nunchucks at people.

I thought that it was "slung shot" which was more like a loaded monkey fist knot, or a blackjack instead of an actual slingshot.

Even if I'm correct, no one knows what a "slung shot" is, and would just guess that it means a slingshot. I'd love to see the thread when someone has their monkey fist confiscated.

As much as I laugh at the laundry list of prohibited items that likely was copied out of the back of a Kung-Fu magazine in 1983, I'm still fascinated by what a freaking zoobow is. Every time I search, all I find is links to people asking what one is. It's bad enough that we can be accidental criminals (casing in boot tread), but being charged for possession of an imaginary object is worthy of clown world.

Imagine you legitimately didn’t know? I would insist on keeping it… Usually They will let you mail stuff back to yourself..

You never use your range bag as a carry-on it never ends well, I’ve seen and Know a couple people with magazines trying to get on a plane..

It’s really not that hard of a Mistake to make.

guy-williams-zorro-242-6-13-17-jpg.600453
Zorro?
Could be worse.

You never use your range bag as a carry-on it never ends well, I’ve seen and Know a couple people with magazines trying to get on a plane.

Imagine you legitimately didn’t know? I would insist on keeping it… Usually They will let you mail stuff back to yourself..

You never use your range bag as a carry-on it never ends well, I’ve seen and Know a couple people with magazines trying to get on a plane..

It’s really not that hard of a Mistake to make.

Like, "I had no idea that as a cane!"?

1980 or so, visiting Busch Gardens Tampa..I bought an engraved sword cane at the souvenir shop. I was afraid to pack it to bring it home, my parents were staying in Tampa for another month or so so I gave it to my dad and he drove it back home. I gave it to a buddy as a birthday gift

As much as I laugh at the laundry list of prohibited items that likely was copied out of the back of a Kung-Fu magazine in 1983, I'm still fascinated by what a freaking zoobow is. Every time I search, all I find is links to people asking what one is. It's bad enough that we can be accidental criminals (casing in boot tread), but being charged for possession of an imaginary object is worthy of clown world.
A zubo (I expect our legislators had only heard of, but not seen printed, such a thing) is a small handheld wooden or metal piece claimed to be a "manipulation and massage device" in an attempt to game the UK weapon laws. At the end of the day, it's a "poin-ted stick".

1649360461965.png

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x7P_vmXDLg

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PwfA3ysYSE

A zubo (I expect our legislators had only heard of, but not seen printed, such a thing) is a small handheld wooden or metal piece claimed to be a "manipulation and massage device" in an attempt to game the UK weapon laws. At the end of the day, it's a "poin-ted stick".
Could Zoobow be a misspelling of this device name?

Are sword canes technically illegal fir carry in Mass? Its been a long time and I can't find the regulation that called out slung shots etc and I don't remember seeing it in there

Finally someone has solved the mystery of the zoobow!

Could Zoobow be a misspelling of this device name?
Knowing this state, I think so. Some legislator was probably compiling a list of anything bad that anyone could think of, someone said "Zubo", and it got spelled phonetically.

Seriously, look at it. It's part brass knuckle, part truncheon, part poin-ted stick. Scary stuff ! </sarc>

Back
Top Bottom