Trying to keep up with the better photographers.

stoneypete

NES Member
It was a nice day yesterday so I took the rifles outside for a photo shoot. I wish I could have moved to the front of my building for indirect sunlight, but walking around my town house community with uncased rifles would not be conducive to keeping the peace with my neighbors or my LTC A with no restrictions. (Only one neighbor knows I have firearms because he asked me if I knew how hard it was to get a LTC in this town. He's a good man.)

Anyway here is the results of yesterdays afternoon in the sun. Sure wish I had a wood pile.[smile][wink]

I think I like the rocks better than the grass.
M1andM1401.jpg

M1andM1402.jpg

Solo shots.
ArmscorpM14.jpg

ArmscorpM1402.jpg

I'm not sure why I never took a shot of the M1 on the rocks.
M1.jpg

Any of you camera buffs that have input or advice, I'm all ears.

See the shine that you are getting from the sun? Try it when it is overcast, or an area outside of direct sunlight. And use a tripod.

*TIPS*

Try to shoot outdoors when it is overcast. The clouds diffuse the sunlight and make for a softer light which makes softer shadows. It will also get rid of the specular highlights (shine) as M1911 suggested.

To make a makeshift diffuser you could try using a thin translucent white sheet between the sun and your subject. I use a Photoflex light panel frame and the Photoflex translucent fabric.

The best time to shoot is an hour or 2 before sunset - what they call the golden hours. Nothing beats the quality of that light.

Last edited:
I never take pics in direct sunlight. The trees and shrubs in my backyard offer some great shade.
For me background is everything. I'm thinking of building a rubble pile of bricks and wood. Just kiddin'[grin]

Digital cameras still cannot support the same contrast ratio that film cameras do. Try shooting out of direct sun... and use a big piece (and the glossy side of) white poster-board to reflect sunlight back to the subject to fill the shadows and lower contrast.

Use a flash, even in sunlight.

Back
Top Bottom