• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trying To Identify An SR22 Part For Troubleshooting

The trigger is not moving freely. When I look into the trigger area from above there is a plastic part that looks to either be broken or out of place. It's sort of at an angle. There is a spring in front of it that looks like it's not straight and this part is hitting it. The part is also rubbing against the trigger bar which is what's causing the trigger to not move freely. I'm going to get in touch with Ruger but I'd like to be able to explain it intelligently so if someone here knows what this part is please let me know. I can't figure it out looking at the exploded view. The part in question is circled in red in the pic. The spring is circled in yellow.
Thanks.

SR22TriggerPartCircled.jpg

Send it to ruger, they'll just fix it, end of problem. If its pretty obvious something is wrong with the trigger, I have little doubt they'll be able to check and repair it.

-Mike

I just like knowing what's what. I forgot to mention that when I shot it the other day it seemed like the reset wasn't working. It never had a real short reset but now it doesn't reset until the trigger is pretty much all the way forward. I'm pretty sure it's all related.

I saw that part but it I guess it looks different while it's in the gun.
I can see that your spring is straight. Mine isn't.
And the plastic part looks different too.
I think mine is... broken.
I already submitted an online ticket with Ruger and I'm sure they'll send me a label to send it back. At least I know what it is now.
I'd actually try to take it apart and fix it myself if it wasn't under warranty but it is so I'll let them mess with it.
Thanks.

I just like knowing what's what. I forgot to mention that when I shot it the other day it seemed like the reset wasn't working. It never had a real short reset but now it doesn't reset until the trigger is pretty much all the way forward. I'm pretty sure it's all related.

Don't get me wrong I like tinkering with stuff once in awhile but IMHO its a waste of effort on a gun that is essentially an appliance. "No user serviceable parts inside" (nor will ruger ever send you any parts, unless they change their policy, which given their legal dept's patently obvious, cranial-rectal inversion problem, will probably never happen) These little 22 plinker guns are toasters and should be treated as such....

-Mike

I saw that part but it I guess it looks different while it's in the gun.
I can see that your spring is straight. Mine isn't.
And the plastic part looks different too.
I think mine is... broken.
I already submitted an online ticket with Ruger and I'm sure they'll send me a label to send it back. At least I know what it is now.
I'd actually try to take it apart and fix it myself if it wasn't under warranty but it is so I'll let them mess with it.
Thanks.

sure, that was just a photo a googled. I don't own one but I did stay in a holiday inn...

i have the Walther P22 and it's a bastard born from plastic and pot metal (e.g. crap!) i suspect the Ruger 22 is similar. they'll probably swap out the inner assembly and send it back.

Send it to ruger, they'll just fix it, end of problem. If its pretty obvious something is wrong with the trigger, I have little doubt they'll be able to check and repair it.

-Mike

^^this
ruger will likely provide you a shipping label very quickly. i've sent 2 guns to their AZ facility and they had them back on my doorstep in like 1 week. even if they make you pay shipping one way it's still worth it because the SR22 is sortof a weird little gun. i would rather have Ruger fix it than me fumble around with the trigger.

with regards to what that specific part is, i do not know the name but i'm pretty sure it is part of the magazine disconnect system. the SR22 is the only gun I own that i haven't been able to remove the mag disconnect because it's crazy complex.

BTW, how did that part get damaged? were you trying to remove the magazine disconnect? was a magazine rammed into the gun too hard? those are the only 2 ways i could image such damage happening? just be ready to answer that question in case ruger asks if you were trying to futz with the mag disconnect.

Last edited:
BTW, how did that part get damaged? were you trying to remove the magazine disconnect? was a magazine rammed into the gun too hard? those are the only 2 ways i could image such damage happening? just be ready to answer that question in case ruger asks if you were trying to futz with the mag disconnect.

I definitely did not try to remove it. I didn't even know what it was. It's probably best to maintain ignorance so they don't think I tried to remove it.
I don't ever slam the mags into my guns so I think it just plain broke.
I returned this gun twice when I first got it. Once due to FTE and when it got back it wouldn't shoot straight. I had to put the front and rear sights at opposite ends for it to shoot straight.
The speed at which they fix them and get them back is impressive.

I definitely did not try to remove it. I didn't even know what it was. It's probably best to maintain ignorance so they don't think I tried to remove it.
I don't ever slam the mags into my guns so I think it just plain broke.
I returned this gun twice when I first got it. Once due to FTE and when it got back it wouldn't shoot straight. I had to put the front and rear sights at opposite ends for it to shoot straight.
The speed at which they fix them and get them back is impressive.

10-4

By FTE, you mean ejection or extraction?
the reason i ask is my SR22 has always been picky w extracting several ammo types but others it cylces perfectly. Ive never bothered to send it to Ruger but it is quite annoying that I cannot shoot certain ammos because each round gets stuck in chamber after firing. Probably i should send it to them too!

Sorry, I mean failure to extract. Exactly the symptoms you describe. They replaced the slide and it wouldn't shoot straight so I sent it back again and they replaced the slide again. It never had another FTE and it shoots any ammo as long as it's high velocity. It even says in the manual that they recommend HV and that "target" ammo may not operate properly. I'm betting you have exactly the same problem. Send it back and get a new slide. The first thing they will ask is what kind of ammo you are using. They use CCI Minimags for testing so tell them that and other HV brands.

Last edited:
with my Walther P22 I stopped using oil on it all together. I cleaned it the best I could with solvent to remove all traces of oil. Then applied a teflon lubricant spray and it runs much better this way. The oil seems to be too sticky and causes extraction failures. I did the same for my Ruger 10/22 but YMMV.

I sent it in yesterday. I had to initial that I didn't try to mess with the trigger and that if anything on the gun wasn't factory installed they would remove it and I wouldn't get it back.
If I'm going to mess with a trigger it isn't going to be on a plinking gun.

I got my SR22 back with no problem found. If someone here has an SR22 I'd appreciate it if you could tell me how the reset acts on your gun. Mine essentially has no reset. There's no click until the trigger goes all the way forward. I could have sworn there was a shorter reset. It wasn't real short but it wasn't all the way forward either. Also, when I remove the slide and mag the trigger doesn't move freely. If I pull the trigger slowly and let it go it meets friction coming forward and stops at the halfway point. I've cleaned and oiled it and it makes no difference.

can you specify again, is the gun working? if you just forget about the "broken" part for a second, what types of malfunction does the gun exhibit?

if ruger said its fine i am inclined to trust their judgment. perhaps call them and confirm they looked in the exact area you specified in post #1.

WRT your questions, the trigger indeed resets pretty much all the way out, perhaps a little takeup but not much. obviously the reset is different for SA vs DA. further, i wouldnt really study anything on the gun w the magazine out because the mag disconnect is a biatch on the SR22 and will complicate things if mag removed.

Last edited:
The gun fires. As I recall there was a distinct reset in SA after a shot and it wasn't all the way out. Maybe half way or so. It wasn't as short as other higher end guns but it wasn't all the way out. At least that's the way I remember it but before this past session it had been a while since I shot it. Maybe I'm mistaken.

Ruger has great CS but they aren't always right. I sent this same gun back when it was new due to an extraction issue and when I got it back it wouldn't shoot straight. I had to move the front sight all the way left and rear sight all the way right to hit my target and I know it wasn't me. They took it back again and replaced the slide again and it now shoots straight.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom