Truck set up

I have a 98 f150, I am considering a set up for ARES. Anyone have any ideas, for mount points? Also if anyone has photos, of their set ups. Even if it is the same model, year. I could still use it for ideas. Thank you gentlemen.

Trig, I can't comment on a setup since I just throw my 2M rig on the seat and stick a mag mount on the roof. I just wanted to say welcome to NES! Reps for going green right away!

When I had a F250 I just had a mag mount on the "Back Rack" and a 2m/440 under dash mount with detachable faceplate above the radio.

Do you want a permanent antenna?

What type of rig do you have?

Is the face plate removable?

Do you have room to mount the rig (as we do not know what else you might have in the truck)

I have and F-250 with an aftermarket radio.
Left me with a space above the radio to mount a face plate (think Icom 2820H) or similar.

Many options for this.

When I was driving my F150 (2004) I had a Ram mount for the radio (it attaches using the passenger seat bolts) and a mag mount antenna. I wish I had a more permanent antenna, but nothing would have fit in my garage. I would put the antenna up when leaving in the morning and take it down when arriving home.

BTW: I no longer have the truck, but the ram mount is in my basement (minus the floor mount). If you are interested, we could work something out.

Is your 150 an XLT? I mount my radio under the back seat, and run a control head to the front. Works out nicely.

I'm a firm believer in NMO mounts for VHF/UHF/800/900 band antennas.
The center of the roof is by far the best place to mount them, because the roofs flat sheet metal forms a ground plane, giving you the best possible omnidirectional radiation pattern.
I've done dozens of commercial radio installations on F-Series trucks, the headliner comes out pretty easy, takes about 10-15 minutes to remove.
You could cheat and not pull the headliner by using a 3/4" mount, which is fed in from the top, but they're not nearly as strong as the 3/8" mounts which MUST be mounted from the bottom. This is the only type I personally use, unless the customer requests something different or supplies his own.
For mounting the radios on these trucks, I usually do them overhead, right above the rearview mirror.
It works great for small units up to 6" wide, such as Kenwood TK-780/880's, Yaesu FT-7800/8800's and Motorola GTX's without interfering with the sun visors.

Back
Top Bottom