Trip to PA

So I'm going to PA in the early summer for the all ford nationals at Carlisle. I have a NH non-resident permit which from what I have found covers me in PA. Wold it be a good idea to apply for a PA permit anyway just to make things easier if a cop did not know the law but checked anyway? So for the states I must travel through to get there (CT, NY, NJ) what is required? I know NJ has horribly strict gun laws so I do want to be very careful to comply with all of the laws during my drive to PA. I can guess at a minimum I will have to have all firearms locked in the trunk while I am in these states.

Any info is appreciated!

Yes, get a PA non-resident permit. The PA Attorney General has published an opinion that PA reciprocity includes non-resident permits. However, the PA state police do not agree. So, while you'll beat the charges, you would get arrested, if you encountered the state police and your carry status came up.

As far as NY/NJ, your gun must be secured in the trunk and unloaded. I'd also avoid stopping in those states. FOPA is supposed to cover you, but they've been known to try to ignore it.

Yes, get a PA non-resident permit. The PA Attorney General has published an opinion that PA reciprocity includes non-resident permits. However, the PA state police do not agree. So, while you'll beat the charges, you would get arrested, if you encountered the state police and your carry status came up.

As far as NY/NJ, your gun must be secured in the trunk and unloaded. I'd also avoid stopping in those states. FOPA is supposed to cover you, but they've been known to try to ignore it.

I've just sent an e-mail (through their website comments form) to the Pennsylvania State Police asking if their official position is to disregard the Commonwealth Attorney General's official opinion. Since the Pennsylvania Attorney General IS the Commonwealth's senior law enforcement officer, it will be interesting to see what the PSP answers in writing.

I got a NH NR license precisely because PA and NH have reciprocity and we have friends that we visit in PA.

Not surprisingly, the Pennsylvania State Police has so far ignored my query. They have my cell phone number and e-mail address should they care to respond.

Not holding my breath.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally heard from the PA State Police.

Their official position is that the follow the reciprocity agreement to the letter and that my information that PA troopers would arrest people with non-resident licenses from states that have reciprocity with PA is incorrect.

There you have it. From the horses' mouth.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for your email. Your information is incorrect. We do comply with the reciprocity agreement.

-----Original Message-----
From: PSP Public Web Site Administrator [mailto:[email protected]]
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2008 8:38 PM
To: PSP Web Administrator
Subject: New Web Forms eAlert
Importance: High

A user has completed the Web Form: PSP Contact Form
The answers have been REMOVED from the database. Here is the only copy of their Answers:

Please Enter Your Name:
Jose Rossy

NAME
2/5/2008 8:38:00 PM

e-mail Address:
[email protected]

EMAIL

Type of Input?
Comment
Comment

ISSUE

Telephone Number
937-xxx-xxxx

PHONE

Contact Information:
N/A

CONTACT INFO

Comments/Suggestions:
I have heard that the PA State Police will arrest holders of concealed handgun licenses from states that have reciprocity with Pennsylvania if the holder of such a license is not a resident of the issuing state, notwithstanding the Pennsylvania Attorney General's official opinion that the license holder's state of residence is irrelevant so long as he or she is in possession of a valid license to carry a handgun issued by a state with which the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania has entered into a reciprocity agreement. Is that indeed the official position of the Pennsylvania State Police?

COMMENTS

The PSP Contact Form web form was called from this page: http://www.psp.state.pa.us/psp/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=170362

Sent in the app yesterday..... I wonder how long it will take.

I got mine PA non-resident in about 10 days, it's just a little sheet of paper. Comes in duplicate, I think, you sign it and send one back to 'em. That's it!

Note: I'd sent mine to the Center County Sheriff. Different areas might take a different length of time to process.

Back
Top Bottom