Trip through Maine nets goodies

I am trying to gather all the supplies needed for reloading. I have not reloaded since I was the armorer for the ft bliss marksmanship unit back in the early '80s.

Since I had to go to Northern Maine I figured I would look for stuff. I picked up these primers:
2,000 - sm handgun
1,900 - lg handgun

On the way back I stopped at cabela's and got:

1 - RCBS RC Supreme Master Reloading Kit

1 - Lyman 1200 Pro Tumbler

1 - container corn cob media

1 - set of calipers.

1 - Lyman reloading manual ( the press kit has the speer #14)

I have brass I've been saving from my range trips. Tomorrow I go searching for bullets and die sets and powder. Other than bullets, powder and dies, what else should me on the top of my list?

Any advise is always appreciated.

Sounds like a good trip. I am jealous about the primers. [smile]

Yeah, I picked up the primers in pawn shop that didn't know the big demand for them. I picked the up for an avg of $34 per 1K. A small gun shop I visited wanted $75 per 1K. I passed on those.

Next time, get crushed walnut shells at the pet shop for tumbling media.

You'll also need:

Bullet puller (for mistakes)
Funnel (helps handle powder)
Case Trays (eases handling while loading cases.)
Something to assist with separating the brass from the media. See my other post, with the colander picture.
Case Gauge
Trimmer
Chamfering tool

Next time, get crushed walnut shells at the pet shop for tumbling media.

You'll also need:

Bullet puller (for mistakes)
Funnel (helps handle powder)
Case Trays (eases handling while loading cases.)
Something to assist with separating the brass from the media. See my other post, with the colander picture.
Case Gauge
Trimmer
Chamfering tool

Duke, thanks for info. I will add this to the list. From the pet shop huh? I take it walnut is better than corn cob.

Oh my! Yes, indeed. Harder, and faster at taking off the stubborn seemingly baked on patina.

My favorite recipe, posted elsewhere, but duplicated here, is:
Walnut Shell Media
1 capful (not cupful) of NuFinish liquid car wax
1-2 capfuls (not cupfuls) of kerosene, turpentine, or paint thinner

Allow the wax and solvent to mix for 15-20 minutes before adding brass. Then, add brass and allow to buff for a couple of hours. Overnight if most stubborn.

You'll have the brightest brass!! Almost able to see yourself in the shine!

Duke, thanks for info. I will add this to the list. From the pet shop huh? I take it walnut is better than corn cob.

Get 2-3 good reloading manuals - read them over and over. Even if you reloaded in the past.

Also, if you are reloading mostly pistol calibers, a trimmer probably can wait. I have been reloading for CAS shooting (1000's rounds / year) and have yet to trim a 38spl or 45 C case. If you are reloading for rifle you will need a trimmer.

Thanks

Thanks for all the info. The only thing I have unpacked was the speer #14 manual. Already ready it all and waiting for my lyman manual to arrive. I have enough commercially loaded ammo to keep me shooting a few weeks so I have time to play is safe. I am also browsing about 5 different forums for info.
Today I ordered:
* lee 9mm die set,
* inertia bullet puller,
* powder trick
* Lyman manual
* hornady lock n load bushing set
* loading trays ( enough to keep things seperate)

Question: if I clean my range brass now will it be ok in two weeks or is it best to clean just prior to reloading?

Question: if I clean my range brass now will it be ok in two weeks or is it best to clean just prior to reloading?

I've got brass that was cleaned over two months ago, and it;s still as bright and shiny as it was the day it came out of the tumbler. The addition of the polish to the media helps coat the brass, keeping it shiny.

Back
Top Bottom