• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trijicon RMR

Being a silly grunt who is now buying his kit all on his lonesome, I have a question concerning optics. Being only familiar with Aimpoint, I was curious if anyone has used these Trijicon RMRs. I only saw one of these in passing. Price seems comparable and the reticle or aiming point seems to be larger.

I am a long time Aimpoint guy. Got a compXD, CompM4, T1, and R1 micros. Love-em!
Ive been looking at the Trijicon RMRs too for a while for my pistol. I have a friend who has the dual illumination 7MOA version and I've ordered my own version (RM07 = 6.5MOA dot with manual adjustable brightness) which runs on a 2032 battery, I'm still awaiting delivery as they are backordered. Depending on the model you can get the following dot sizes 3.5, 6.25, 7, 8, 9, and 13MOA dot or a 12.9 Triangle reticle. Ive found my friend's to be pretty indestructible during training evolutions. The sight picture is crisp and clear but its obviously a small optic window due to the sight's small size. The dual illumination models are amber dots and the battery models are red dots. Its up to you whether you like battery or no battery. I'm used to batteries and I wanted the adjustable brightness for range sessions so I got the RM07 model and for my eyes the red dot is easier to see against some backgorunds than the amber dot. The RMR is capable on a rifle (like my buddy's setup on his AR) or shotgun or revolver or pistol. The only downside to these little reflex sights is its not like a scope so there arent any "lens caps" to protect the lens, some other companies make little hoods than sit over the sight to protect it. I haven't seen a cover fromt Trijicon so you just have to make sure your not storing the firearm where the sight might get scratched. Also if you need mounts, there are tons of mounts for the RMRs ranging from weaver and picatinny to AK47 and AR platform, quick release models, and for pistols and shotguns. If you have the money to try one and you like the look of them then I think you will enjoy the purchase.

I have a 8 MOA RMR on my Saiga AK74. Im going to put a 4 MOA on it when I can find/afford one.

What do you want to know about them specifically?

I have two Trijicon RMR LED 6.5MOA red dots mounted on handguns right now and love it. I'm currently running them on the Trijicon replacement rear sight base with plans in the very near future to send the slides off to Bowie Tactical and have the slides milled out so I can get the dot to cowitness with the the irons. As for mounting this sight on a rifle I have no future plans. I run Aimpoint T1s right now and have been very happy with them over the years. Depending on where you shop you can find an H1 for the nearly the same price of the RMR. The Aimpoint rep that sold to my agency absolutely abused the scope right in front of us (throwing it down range and skipping it down concrete) and it still worked and was about 1.5-2 MOA [at 100yds] off from zero when it was remounted to the weapon after all the abuse. I was sold after that day purchasing my own for my personal weapons. Until I see someone do that with an RMR [I'm not doing it with mine] I'll stick with Aimpoints on my long guns.

NICE! I concur, for long guns I prefer my aimpoints. The RMR seems to be perfectly suited to pistol/revolver use.

I have two Trijicon RMR LED 6.5MOA red dots mounted on handguns right now and love it. I'm currently running them on the Trijicon replacement rear sight base with plans in the very near future to send the slides off to Bowie Tactical and have the slides milled out so I can get the dot to cowitness with the the irons. As for mounting this sight on a rifle I have no future plans. I run Aimpoint T1s right now and have been very happy with them over the years. Depending on where you shop you can find an H1 for the nearly the same price of the RMR. The Aimpoint rep that sold to my agency absolutely abused the scope right in front of us (throwing it down range and skipping it down concrete) and it still worked and was about 1.5-2 MOA [at 100yds] off from zero when it was remounted to the weapon after all the abuse. I was sold after that day purchasing my own for my personal weapons. Until I see someone do that with an RMR [I'm not doing it with mine] I'll stick with Aimpoints on my long guns.

My concerns were how they stacked up with EOTech's and Aimpoint's. I guess it really just boils down to use, (nothing professional for mine), and preference. I just don't want to settle on one thing that expensive, (daycare costs a lot!), without considering all possibilities.

They are advertised as being as rugged as the trijicon ACOG. I know a few ACOG models come with the RMR mounted on top of them. During my research into whether or not I would actually order one (which I did in the end) I never heard anything bad about their ruggedness or reliability. Also, as with any product, if someone ended up with a lemon, Trijicon customer service was fast and friendly and got the issue fixed quickly to bring the problem sight back up to their quality specs. All I can say is check them out and be assured its a good sight and everything so far for me says its worth the price.

I know this is off topic, but I thought I would mention the Leupold "Delta point". This sight seems to offer the best of both worlds; large 7 moa triangular dot that works well for speed with the option of sighting the gun in for point of impact at the tip of the triangle. This allows you to stick the dot (or delta) in the center of large targets when speed is required, but also use the point of the delta for fine work where accuracy is necessary. I have been using one on a Marvel 22 conversion/1911 in Steel Challenge matches where it has done very well; the dot is large and bright enough for this type of shooting but will also shoot tight groups at fifty yards using the tip of the delta as an aiming point.

As others said, RMR is best used on handguns or as a backup to another sight such as an ACOG. Regarding Delta Points - while they are less expensive, they are also not as robust. The one I used on a rifle to put a magazine through, the reticle was not as bright as the RMR. Also Leupold isn't known for their electronics.

Back
Top Bottom