RMR optics

greencobra

NES Member
i feel the need to aquire a 9mm pistol equipped with an rmr optic. that pistol will be a glock 19. beyond that i'm dead in the water. i guess one needs to choose the optic first? cause it looks like these optics need some kind of a base plate to mount and not all bases are equal. it looks like each of these plates is different from the next, like a fingerprint. [hmmm]

i found some more gen 2 frames in my safe. yeah, i dunno either, don't remember gathering them. all are small g19 sized, i just put together the only large one recently. so, i need the slide and there's a bunch of decent ones, but they seem to be cut for different rmr manufacturers optics. or at least cut to accept their base plate. not looking for the cheap way out but not wanting to go top of the line either. what are you guys running and why if you don't mind sharing. and back up sights, also. it looks like the same deal as an ar rifle, to co-witness or not. thoughts?

The first thing you want to do is pick the dot, yes.

The RMRs come with three red dot sizes - 1MOA, 3.25MOA, and 6.5MOA. A friend of mine and I both have 3.25MOA dots and we have no complaints, but I'm 28 and he's 25 or 26. We both have fine short range vision. People with vision issues might want a bigger dot, I believe @daekken has a 6.5MOA dot because of that. Ignore 1MOA unless the RMR is going on a rifle or maybe shotgun, like a slug gun.

Then there's three types of RMRs: adjustable, non-adjustable, and dual-illuminated, meaning battery and solar powered. The industry-standard, CR2032 batteries on RMRs have a pretty long shelf life, I think around five years in theory, but most guys change their batteries out once a year. The adjustable RMR is the best option for most people and has a bunch of settings for everything from low light settings for night vision users to bright-as-the-sun for people shooting in deserts.

There's three ways to mount a RMR on a pistol. First is to replace the rear sight and use the dovetail, which requires a mount that goes into the dovetail. The gun I currently have a RMR on is a Steyr L9-A2 MF and that's how I have the RMR mounted because the Steyr's slide is too thin to be milled - milling the slide would cut into the ejector/extractor, can't remember which. Second option is to use a Glock MOS (or otherwise pre-cut by the factory) slide. Third and best option is to have the slide milled, which then just requires a mounting plate and sealing plate if I remember correctly.

Co-witnessing the dot to the sights is ideal because, that way, you don't have to re-learn your grip and presentation. Having the dot above the sights requires holding your head up a little more to see the dot and takes a bit more time to find the dot, generally. Co-witness allows a more natural presentation where you find the dot and the sights generally about the same time. I've shot pistols that both have and do not have co-witness and I was faster with the co-witnessed gun - its just objectively better.

However, either way, you want to spend a few hours dry firing the gun to learn the setup and then you want to shoot a minimum of 200-300 rounds before you become fully oriented. Once you get the hang of it, you'll realize that you're acquiring the target faster and thus shooting faster.

I have a Trijicon RMR on a Glock 17. The RMR came with several adaptor plates. The slide was milled, leaving the dovetail in place, and the adaptor plate was mounted, then the RMR mounted to the plate. The RMR is a really solid appearing/feeling optic with great reviews. Downside is that it's expensive. I bought the slide/RMR combo on FleaBay.

I have a Trijicon SRO on a Glock 34. I had the slide milled removing the dovetail and the SRO mounted directly to the slide without an adaptor plate. The SRO does not appear to be as rugged as the RMR, but this is a range toy/competition gun only. Acquisition of the dot in the SRO is easier and more natural than in the RMR for me. Same downside as the RMR - you get what you pay for - it's not cheap. The G34's slide was cut locally for the SRO by a shop that has a good national reputation.

I like the RMR/SRO for "action" shooting. I have a couple of Burris FastFires that I use for plates and pins - and they just feel fragile in comparison. However, they go from case to shooting station to case - so they don't need to be as rugged.

I have a 6.5MOA dot on one of my Burris FastFires, it's really easy to acquire, but it loses precision at distance. The RMR and SRO are 3.25 and that works well for me.

I’m about to go down this rabbit hole myself. I need to either sell my brand new Gen 5 17 or get the slide milled. I’m kicking myself in the ass for not waiting and buying the MOS

I just had my CZ P-01 slide milled to accept an RMR and it’s taking some getting used to! I find myself having to ‘aim low’ to get the dot in the window, but it’s growing on me.

I’ve been unholstering and dry-firing a few times a day for a few minutes and won’t start carrying it until I’m more proficient.

Also, i’m still waiting on the ‘suppressor height’ 10mm trijicon night sight to come back in stock on the CZ customs website. Having a front sight post could very well help my situation with acquiring my dot because I’ll be able to line the sights up through the ‘window’ of the RMR.

If you have the option, Check out someone else’s before you make a final decision.

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:
Mounted an RMR w/ a 3.25 moa dot on my Glock 17 Gen4 MOS last week and it hasn't left my side since. Finding the dot was perplexing at first, but training has been key. After a few hundred presentations the dot is just starting to appear. I won't be putting one on my carry guns until I have a lot more time behind the optic, but I can see why so many people do.

Now if only this holster would come back in stock..

thanks for the answers. as much as i'd like a trijicon...a wee bit pricey. does anyone run something other than trijicons? i'd like to know what you're happy with.
...but it loses precision at distance...
at what distance does this start to happen. i don't see me doing farther than 25 yds ...50 max and that would be pushing it for me.

I'm assuming you don't mean to stick with RMR and that you just mean a red dot in general?

I've been running Vortex Venoms on my CZs and I like them a lot. Cheap and Vortex warranty is no questions asked.

Mine have been milled to accept adapter plates, so that if I do choose to go with a different manufacturer, I can just get the correct plate.
I'm guessing, that as long as you get your Glock slide milled to accept the MOS plate system, then you could also switch around to whatever you like

I like 6 or 8 MOA dots. I'm not trying to do bullseye with these... so the bigger dot for faster acquisition is what I'm looking for.

thanks for the answers. as much as i'd like a trijicon...a wee bit pricey. does anyone run something other than trijicons? i'd like to know what you're happy with.

at what distance does this start to happen. i don't see me doing farther than 25 yds ...50 max and that would be pushing it for me.

Most people who want something cheaper than a RMR go with Holosun red dots. The RMR is primarily intended as a combat, duty optic for military, police, and daily carry. It can be overkill for say competitive shooting and plinking.

Consider the dot size when thinking about far shots. A 6.5MOA dot is going to cover a small target closer than a 3.25MOA dot. Flip side is obviously correct - a 3.25MOA covers less of the target.

The Glock MOS system is not the best, the weakness is in the plates, which are not the best quality. The screws also can be a problem.
There are aftermarket plates and screws to fix this.
Having a slide milled for a particular optic or buying a slide cut for an optic is the better option, as it sits lower than with the plates and is more securely mounted.
Trijicons RMR is the gold standard, but holosun makes some tough optics with the same footprint.

When you factor the cost of everything, Sigs P320 RXP https://galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=798681623976&zipcode= is a real bargain at $850 (vs $750 for a glock MOS) as it comes with the optic, the gun and the cowitnessed sights installed from the factory, but the durability is not as good as the trijicon sight.

My 6.5 on Browning Buckmark is perfect for 4x6 plates at 15 yards.
My 3.25 on G34 lets me do IDPA/USPSA headshots at 30 yards or bowling pins at 31 feet.

Last edited:

I run a Vortex Venom on my M&P Pro C.O.R.E and so far I absolutely love it. As @LuvDog said the warranty is great and they in no way feel “cheap.” I have about 2,000 rounds with mine and no issues at all. Just make sure if you buy it, you get the “venom.” This one has the battery on the topside of the optic so you don’t have to take it off the slide when it dies. Also for co-witness sights- I love mine. They make finding the reticle much faster and more natural (for me anyways) and when your battery dies they’re a great backup.

The Glock MOS system is not the best, the weakness is in the plates, which are not the best quality. The screws also can be a problem.
There are aftermarket plates and screws to fix this.
Having a slide milled for a particular optic or buying a slide cut for an optic is the better option, as it sits lower than with the plates and is more securely mounted.
Trijicons RMR is the gold standard, but holosun makes some tough optics with the same footprint.

When you factor the cost of everything, Sigs P320 RXP https://galleryofguns.com/genie/default.aspx?item=798681623976&zipcode= is a real bargain at $850 (vs $750 for a glock MOS) as it comes with the optic, the gun and the cowitnessed sights installed from the factory, but the durability is not as good as the trijicon sight.
Yes! I forgot I had to buy my own screws to get it to fit right and installed a battery plate.

I went with the SRO on my Gen5 G19 MOS and love it.

For those considering having their slide milled, there are more than a few manufacturers of slides pre-cut for an optic, if you want to keep your original slide as is for whatever reason.

I have a swampfox justice on my glock 19 mos gen 5. I was using the Swampfox kingslayer on it before and really liked it but wanted the upgraded features of the justice like shake awake and wider view etc. So far I really like them.

I've been looking into this as well for my use.
I don't know how much I trust the dove tail mount though.
I'd rather buy an additional slide and have it milled, but that breaks into new gun territory when the cost of that and an optic are considered.

I want the sro bad, but not at that price.
Holosun seems to be the next best bet with some nifty features.
I kinda wish eotech would do something for pistols with a hologram without being to large.

went down this exact same rabbit hole

ended up with an agency arms glock 19 gen 4 (that i got on here) with an RMR 3.25moa

works great out of the box, won a casual steel match with it at MRA first time out

I've been looking into this as well for my use.
I don't know how much I trust the dove tail mount though.
I'd rather buy an additional slide and have it milled, but that breaks into new gun territory when the cost of that and an optic are considered.

I want the sro bad, but not at that price.
Holosun seems to be the next best bet with some nifty features.
I kinda wish eotech would do something for pistols with a hologram without being to large.
The Swampfox kingslayer i had on my g19 was a dot in circle reticle in green. I did really like it but felt it was better suited as a 45 backup on my lpvo rifle and now the 3moa Swampfox justice took its place. I do kinda miss the circle dot reticle

I found a 43x MOS magically on armslist and picked it up, then got a holosun 507K, but am waiting on an adapter plate to be able to use it.

Can't find a holster for it to save my life.

Back
Top Bottom