Tried my Ciener .22 AR conversion kit yesterday

F

Finalygotabeltfed

I've had the kit for almost ten years and installed it in my gun and shot with it for the first time just yesterday. What a hoot! It functioned flawlessly from the first round using Federal bulk pack ammo with plated bullets from Wally World.

I can see that it will be getting alot more use after trying it out. I'm very pleased with it and should have tried it sooner. Although it comes with only a ten round mag, there are aftermarket mags that work well with it. A friend had some 30rd BlackDog Machine mags for his that I tried and they functioned perfect.

With an AR with a 11.5 inch barrel with the permanent flash suppressor, I was hitting a steel plate at 100yds with very little correction to my point of aim from .223.

Anyone with an AR should look into getting one of these conversions if you can find one. Although it may seem a bit expensive, it will save you lots of money on ammo and they are great for just plinking. I may have to build another AR just to accomodate this little treasure.

+1
I agree, they are alot of fun. Try it in an M-16; on full auto its even better! And WAYYYY cheaper (and more controllable for newbies) than .223...and you can shoot at indoor ranges.

Just remember...

Your gas system is now not being used (the Ciener uses blowback) and you will slowly clog the gas tube/port if you don't clean it or shoot some centerfire to blow it clear.

Understood.

I did fire a couple of mags of .223 after using the .22 kit and cleaned the entire gun today, including spraying some carb cleaner and compressed air down the gas tube. I'll get some of those long pipe cleaners and make sure its cleaned out well. When cleaning the carrier there were no signs of any lead built up yet as I only fired a couple of hundred rounds of .22s.

Understood.

I did fire a couple of mags of .223 after using the .22 kit and cleaned the entire gun today, including spraying some carb cleaner and compressed air down the gas tube. I'll get some of those long pipe cleaners and make sure its cleaned out well. When cleaning the carrier there were no signs of any lead built up yet as I only fired a couple of hundred rounds of .22s.

I'd steer away from the pipe cleaners - just shooting the good 5.56/.223 down the tube will likely suffice. There's that old saying adapted to the AR-15: Never put anything down the gas tube except your elbow"... [wink]

I'd steer away from the pipe cleaners - just shooting the good 5.56/.223 down the tube will likely suffice. There's that old saying adapted to the AR-15: Never put anything down the gas tube except your elbow"... [wink]

Duely noted! I guess its good to go then with the cleaning that I've already given it.

I'll remain alert for any build up in the future if I use the conversion kit often.

Thanks for the pointer.

Back
Top Bottom