Trapping

je25ff

NES Member
I have zero experience with trapping and I don't plan on setting any now. I'm talking about a future scenario where it's something I may have to do. I see a bunch of snares that would do the trick, but also a bunch of traps, but I really have no experience at all to figure out what works and what doesn't.

Can anyone offer a good resource on this? Perhaps advice on what kind of traps? Small game like beaver, squirrels, etc.

Where are you Located? If Mass. You are kind of screwed. If in New Hampshire get in touch with NH Fish and Game to find out when next trapper ed course is. Also Check the New Hampshire Trappers Assoc. Web site and see what they have coming up. I am already committed to teaching someone this year.

Yeah, I'm in MA. I don't even remember how the, "ban cruel traps" BS went down. I's assuming not well considering your comment. Still, I'm not planning on trapping anything now. It would just be something I'd have as a part of my prepper plan.

This is something I would love to learn as well. I read a couple of SHTF type books by "Buckshot" Hemming, and his characters rely heavily on snares for survival. He's got several non-fiction books on trapping and snaring, and he also sells a ton of snares and materials on his website:

New Page 1

I have thought about buying some of his kits to try out, or just getting some fittings and bulk cable and trying out a few.

I have a feeling that this is the type of skill that you want to perfect long before you have to depend on it to survive. My brother used to trap a lot when we were kids. He would get up before school and check his traps, selling raccoon and fox skins to some local guy. I tried it with him a few times, but never really got into it.

Last edited:
If you want an info source, Buckshot had better know a LOT more about trapping, etc, than he knows about guns and shooting, for a fact. :) Google for FurFishGame magazine. Use your local library's "books in print" reference source, look in "subjects" for "trapping". Also look for Ragnar Benson, he has several books on survival and trapping. Google for Paladin Press and search there for Ragnar's books. get the ISBN numbers and order the books, free, from your library's Interlibrary book loan system

A rat trap nailed to a tree baited with peanut butter is going to be your best bet... chipmunk and squirrel stew. Everything will likely be wasted time and calories unless you're in the North Woods of Maine.

Use whatever scraps you have left and sit over it as bait, despite the phraseology crow breast is supposed to make a quite edible steak. http://www.crowbusters.com/recipes.htm

Last edited:
most meat is faily nutritious, digestable and most of it can even be tasty, if you boil it until it's well cooked, and then stew it with tubers, inner bark of trees, greens, roasted/powdered insects, wild onions, and a dash of salt and chilli powder. Meat is best thought of as a nice side dish, not the main course.

NH Fish and Game usually has a trapper ed class the weekend of the NH Trappers Assoc. fall rendevous. The class is a lot of fun and gets out early enough to check out some of the demos and get some toys from the trap dealers. Here is the link for the event: Calendar of Events - NH Trappers Association Here is the link for trapper ed from NHF&G: NH Trapper Ed Course Schedule happy trappin' its a great activity full of tradition.

Back
Top Bottom