• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Some Questions- Trapping, BOB Hiking...

I browse this part of the Forum just about daily as part of my routine work day, and I see lots of checklists and VERY helpful information. I was thinking about some questions I had and will pose to the Masses:

Has anyone ever tried "Trapping Techniques" like the ones in the Army Survival Manual (http://www.equipped.org/21-76/ch8.pdf) any luck, any ideas, any suggestions? I was thinking about trying a few, but I am afraid of snaring a Neighborhood cat!

How many people have tried a 3 day hike, with just a BOB whether single or in a group? Its something I've often wanted to do, but no one in my Prep Circle has really ever wanted to try it. And as an offshoot of that question:

Where would a good place to try a 3 day BOB Hike? I might be over thinking it, but I know that state forests generally frown upon creating fires, trapping, fishing and whatnot. I live in SE Mass, (Attleboro) where they really aren't any woods to do any major wilderness hiking. And having a Mass LTC, I dont know what the surrounding states would say about me armed hiking through their woods...

Just wanted to throw some questions out there, maybe start a conversation, or this thread will have a slow death and die out peacefully. Thanks!

Appalacian Trail for the hiking with your BOB. Remote enough for you try everything you want (except for the trapping), but you won't be out of reach of civilization.

Wapack trail in NH connects to the midstate trail in MA. I'm fairly sure you can hike from Mt Manadnok in NH to Mt Wachusett in MA. Camping is frowned upon, however I see the remnants of fires and campsites all the time on Watatic mtn...provided you don't make a mess I suspect most folk would leave you alone.

I browse this part of the Forum just about daily as part of my routine work day, and I see lots of checklists and VERY helpful information. I was thinking about some questions I had and will pose to the Masses:

Has anyone ever tried "Trapping Techniques" like the ones in the Army Survival Manual (http://www.equipped.org/21-76/ch8.pdf) any luck, any ideas, any suggestions? I was thinking about trying a few, but I am afraid of snaring a Neighborhood cat! ...

I took the "Trapper Ed" training program just to gain the skill. A skill which is next to useless unless you actually "practice" it.

I have friends who are WCOs (Wildlife Control Operator) in NH and have worked under their ticket with my license. It allows a person to trap nuisance animals out-of-season. Level I & II Operators are allowed different levels of interaction including dispatch on virtually any property in any season.

I would strongly advise against setting traps anywhere (including your own property) until you've educated yourself as regards the rules and laws in your area. The punishments can be severe.

Sign up for a trapper course with your Fish & Game Department. It's educational, eye-opening, and if the SHTF, you'll be one-step ahead of the rest.

FOr trapping check out buckshots website. I would strongly recommend against any trapping without the license etc. Hard to explain how you trapped your neighbors dog. You dont need to build the traps in the woods. You can practice right in your own yard or even in the house. I have done a couple of trial runs on my gear. One was a true 3 day hike and camp. The other time I used a friends camp as a base. I set my shelter up and lived there and packed up every morning and drove to some area trails and humped my gear to get the feel of it.

I have hiked the Wapack trail a few times. Binney Pond area is a good place to try these things out-water source, and some fire rings (although I am not sure if open flames are permitted there or not).

I have to question the use of an open fire in a bugout situation. I think you would be better served with a small backpacking stove of some sort. Much lower profile, no smoke, less smell. YOu fire it up cook your food and shut it down. It also takes a lot less time than gathering wood, building a safe fire area etc. That means more time getting where you need to be.

I have very limited experience with figure-4's, piute deadfalls and snares set-ups, including making cordage from native plants. I've really only scratched the surface of trapping, though I think I have the basics down if need be. MA's trapping course is now box traps only, I believe. So no body gripping traps or snares.

Coastie is right. Check out Buckshot (www.trap-snare-survive.com now IIRC) or Hoods Woods Trapping (www.survival.com) video. Both have good content, but Hoods is a more polished production, but Buckshot shows you how to use a 110 conibear or a snare for fish! I don't have any affiliation with either. Even YouTube has good videos if you search for 'snaring rabbits.'

I did a solo overnighter with minimal gear twice. Check out MA's resources for 'primitive camping.' IIRC, there are two spots in MA that allow this type of camping. This was some time ago. On my summer one, I caught enough brook trout for a meal and got a fire by friction, so it was a lot of fun.

Thanks for all your input, I am just trying to collect some info, the trapping courses are a great idea, and since trapping seems severly frowned upon I didn't know they existed. I dont want to get in trouble with the law, which is why I haven't tried anything yet, and like Hunting and fishing, I wont do it unless licenced, although I have the resources, I dont want to give more money to the PR of M than I have too.

As for Open Flame cooking, I have an MSR International WhisperLite that I want to feild test. Im used to propane stoves, so this will be an interesting additiion.

Thanks for all your input, I am just trying to collect some info, the trapping courses are a great idea, and since trapping seems severly frowned upon I didn't know they existed. I dont want to get in trouble with the law, which is why I haven't tried anything yet, and like Hunting and fishing, I wont do it unless licenced, although I have the resources, I dont want to give more money to the PR of M than I have too.

As for Open Flame cooking, I have an MSR International WhisperLite that I want to feild test. Im used to propane stoves, so this will be an interesting additiion.

Whisperlites are great. I have the international also and it is a good multifuel stove. Dont wait until you get into the woods to test it. Fire it up in the backyard or even on the counter at home. Just put a cookie sheet under it and crack a window.

I have to question the use of an open fire in a bugout situation. I think you would be better served with a small backpacking stove of some sort. Much lower profile, no smoke, less smell. YOu fire it up cook your food and shut it down. It also takes a lot less time than gathering wood, building a safe fire area etc. That means more time getting where you need to be.

Valid points, but don't forget that the art of cooking over a campfire takes some practice and lots of trial and error. Stoves break and run out of fuel.

Back
Top Bottom