Trapping

The thread about fishers got me wondering, are there any good resources for someone to learn how to trap?

I'm going to look into the trapping class, but I doubt they do a good soup to nuts job for newbies. I'd like to eventually pick up red foxes, beaver, fisher, raccoon.

FWIW,

There is a course bring planned at Georgetown F&G some time in the next few months. The instructor knows his stuff and is a good teacher. Sign up through the DFW.

If you need a place to "practice" your trapping skills I have a swamp full of brown furry things that would love to meet you...

The thread about fishers got me wondering, are there any good resources for someone to learn how to trap?

I'm going to look into the trapping class, but I doubt they do a good soup to nuts job for newbies. I'd like to eventually pick up red foxes, beaver, fisher, raccoon.

If you need a place to "practice" your trapping skills I have a swamp full of brown furry things that would love to meet you...

That would be pretty cool. If any of those small furry things are also tasty, well... I know some people I'd like to feed swamp meat to.

Thanks Rick, I just filled out the signup.

Last edited:
You just blew my mind. Let me get this straight...

I can trap as long as I don't use any devices that can effectively trap an animal?

Last edited:
When I went for my trapper's course the instructors were very knowledgeable. We learned about laws and trapping techniques. They showed how certain traps worked (even the illegal ones). They even skinned a beaver for the class.

If you need more info check out this thread:
http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/117986-Trapper-Education-Course

Sounds like its the same bunch from when I took the course in MA a couple years ago.

You cannot use leg hold traps or snares in Ma.
(Unless the laws have changed since I last held a MA trapping license)

Conibear traps are the most effective but you'll need to keep them under the water.

Box traps will work for some beaver but there are some really big beaver out there. I helped a friend of mine skin out a 80 lb beaver and the hide measured almost five fT across once we had it tacked to a drying board.

The Hancock/Baily's are expensive and a pain in the butt to set.

There's also a lot of anti-trappers out there and the H/B's & box traps tend to grow legs and walk away.

Last edited:
Sounds like its the same bunch from when I took the course in MA a couple years ago.

You cannot use leg hold traps or snares in Ma.
(Unless the laws have changed since I last held a MA trapping license)

Conibear traps are the most effective but you'll need to keep them under the water.

Box traps will work for some beaver but there are some really big beaver out there. I helped a friend of mine skin out a 80 lb beaver and the hide measured almost five fT across once we had it tacked to a drying board.

The Hancock/Baily's are expensive and a pain in the butt to set.

There's also a lot of anti-trappers out there and the H/B's & box traps tend to grow legs and walk away.
Despicable. You can't leave fishing line with hooks set at eye level near your traps to notify others they are near it, right? ;)

I trapped for years as a teen.
My favorite fisher setup was a connibear about half way up a leaning tree and a dead porcupine with some skunk essence on it at the end.
Many a fisher met their doom running up the tree to get to the porky.

I called MassWildlife and they don't have anything scheduled yet for 2011. I'm also interested in a class, have you found anything out there?

Back
Top Bottom