• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Trapping coons

What do you do with the carcasses? Any commercial use?

il_794xN.2217925065_38oo.jpg

What do you do with the carcasses? Any commercial use?
This time of year the fur is not worth anything. If it was skinned out and fleshed the hide would be blue when dried. That animal will not prime up until early November at the earliest.

Another.

(Also trapped a Red Squirrel and a Gray Squirrel getting in the trash cans this week.)

Raccoon 05.23.23.jpg

I have about 10-20 raccoons and 3 haveahart traps and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I even test the traps several times and leave it extra sensitive. The raccoons somehow outsmart it. I wanna give up on these have-a-heart traps. I always had good luck with the older styles. These new ones stink.

What other options do I have for over a dozen raccoons that are attacking my trash barrels

I have about 10-20 raccoons and 3 haveahart traps and I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. I even test the traps several times and leave it extra sensitive. The raccoons somehow outsmart it. I wanna give up on these have-a-heart traps. I always had good luck with the older styles. These new ones stink.

What other options do I have for over a dozen raccoons that are attacking my trash barrels
I have had great success with dog proof raccoon traps baited with dry dog food.

Turn it on its side. Replace the treadle with a wire trigger (like in a conibear). Put the bait well past the trigger. Tie the bait to the trigger.
Just went out again and threw pizza crust and chicken fingers in them. I'll check out the trigger again tomorrow.
How would I go about replacing the "treadle"?
I will take photos of the 3 traps tomorrow.

I'm curious. Is it legal to shoot raccoons with a pellet gun / bb gun ? Or is that not allowed?

Just went out again and threw pizza crust and chicken fingers in them. I'll check out the trigger again tomorrow.
How would I go about replacing the "treadle"?
I will take photos of the 3 traps tomorrow.

I'm curious. Is it legal to shoot raccoons with a pellet gun / bb gun ? Or is that not allowed?
I don't know where it says that it is "illegal", but the minimum I use is a 22LR in the head. As to the bait that you are using, that is something they can grab, plus too much food. When using live traps, I use just enough lure or bait to make them work the trap. I don't know where you are, but if plan on taking these critters elsewhere and releasing them don't. They will find their way back or be a problem for someone else. If you live in Ma**h***chusetts, Do Not Drown them. (7 year felony) take them out somewhere, where you can shoot them.

I don't know where it says that it is "illegal", but the minimum I use is a 22LR in the head. As to the bait that you are using, that is something they can grab, plus too much food. When using live traps, I use just enough lure or bait to make them work the trap. I don't know where you are, but if plan on taking these critters elsewhere and releasing them don't. They will find their way back or be a problem for someone else. If you live in Ma**h***chusetts, Do Not Drown them. (7 year felony) take them out somewhere, where you can shoot them.
So after I wrote that, I had just put food in all the traps. Just woke up. Traps didn't go off. And food is gone lol.
Might need to buy new traps , different brand.
I am pretty sure I can't be shooting .22lr on my property , but I do feel comfortable with .177 pellets. I own one with up to 1250 fps. It's Shadow Whisper by Gamo
I found out last night . To get maximum FPS you gotta use the Lead-Free Aluminum alloy etc.

I couldn't shoot them point blank , I won't do that. But I do work sometimes 30-40 miles away. So I can release them in a forest near work.

Pellets.....
Should I be using hollow point ? Pointed Tip , copper pellet? Lead or Aluminum alloy

Should I be purchasing heavier grain or lighter grain ?
Shooting from 25 yards away

Last edited:
So after I wrote that, I had just put food in all the traps. Just woke up. Traps didn't go off. And food is gone lol.
Might need to buy new traps , different brand.
I am pretty sure I can't be shooting .22lr on my property , but I do feel comfortable with .177 pellets. I own one with up to 1250 fps. It's Shadow Whisper by Gamo
I found out last night . To get maximum FPS you gotta use the Lead-Free Aluminum alloy etc.

I couldn't shoot them point blank , I won't do that. But I do work sometimes 30-40 miles away. So I can release them in a forest near work.

Pellets.....
Should I be using hollow point ? Pointed Tip , copper pellet? Lead or Aluminum alloy

Should I be purchasing heavier grain or lighter grain ?
Shooting from 25 yards away
Releasing them into the wild like that is also unlawful, do so at your own chance and peril.

Okay. I'm throwing away my 3rd trap, it's been mangled and is very old.

Now, I have 1 brand new trap and 1 trap that's just a few years old.

here are the 2 im keeping, is there any way to lube them up so they operate smoother. The raccoons have seem to defeated these 2
20230625_100551.jpg 20230625_100530.jpg

Someone here on NES found a raccoon in their house a few years back. I mean in the living quarters.

When we had a house in Nova Scotia we had a raccoon problem. The caretaker enjoyed dispatching them.

Often they'd hid under the front porch, which was close to the ground. I asked him how he got them. His answer... pitchfork!

I bought an abandoned house at auction.... it came with 12 squirrels in the attic. I became a PRO!
1st find the entrance. They ate thru the wood Gable vent. Problem was trees and branches.

Tree company cut everything back 20 feet.

boarded up the Vent rebuilt with 100% metal gable.

Peanut butter & Small havahart traps , I caught 12 Grey squirrels
I also accidentally killed 4 red / flying squirrels. They were going into a Rat Trap and I thought the house had rats. But the house had a massive squirrel issue.

The day all the Noises stopped was Amazing. You can hear they walking around in the walls.

They caused me thousands in damage they ate and moved around all of my fiberglass insulation. So with ThermoXRay FLIR I found massive wide open areas with ZERO insulation. MASS SAVE paid for almost all of it. I paid another $2000 for lots of extra insulation additional

The squirrels would sometimes get the bait in my raccoon traps without setting them off.

So I put out squirrel traps.

The chipmunks would steal the squirrel bait.

So I put out chipmunk traps.

The mice would steal the chipmunk bait.

So I put out mice traps.

The raccoons would steal the mice bait. They'd set the trap off, but it wouldn't capture or harm them.

It's a constant battle!

The squirrels would sometimes get the bait in my raccoon traps without setting them off.

So I put out mice traps.

The raccoons would steal the mice bait. They'd set the trap off, but it wouldn't capture or harm them.

It's a constant battle!
Omg dude, this is my life story right here! Haha

Those holes in my garden from the chipmunks drive me nuts!

Okay. I'm throwing away my 3rd trap, it's been mangled and is very old.

Now, I have 1 brand new trap and 1 trap that's just a few years old.

here are the 2 im keeping, is there any way to lube them up so they operate smoother. The raccoons have seem to defeated these 2
View attachment 767559View attachment 767560
We trapped a big coon in one of those traps about a week ago.

I had seen it trying to get into our chicken coop-run door around 7:40 one evening. The wife set up the trap that same night, and put it inside our fence-enclosed garden, that is near the chicken coop.

Sure enough, it got itself trapped in it (and it also turns out the same coon had been climbing our 4'-6" high garden fence and getting into the garden, since we have not had any more garden issues since "taking care" of it).

It was a big coon too. Very big & heavy.

That particular Coon problem has been ended (but there will be more to replace it).

(I had to kill 2 of them last year = both broad daylight/daytime incidents and both of them were rabid).

I got the video and photos. He broke thru the metal of the cage. In the back, he busted thru it. There a defect in the new cage.
Screenshot_20230625_213833_ANRAN.jpg Screenshot_20230625_213942_Gallery.jpg
Well i found out why I wasn't catching any raccoons. The rear of the cage is not connected, animal ripped it open

I had one in my barn that got into my trash. A dog proof got him the first night. Unbelievably, I haven't had a problem since.

One of the coaches on my son's baseball team asked me a week or so ago if I had a racoon problem, and I said "No, why?" He told me that he found a dead racoon in the dumpster of the business next to my house.
"Told you I don't have a problem"

So I put out mice traps.

It's a constant battle!
I recently heard that putting a golf ball on top of the raccoon trap will keep the smaller rodents out of them?

Gonna give it a try!

Dog proof raccoon trap golf ball.jpg

Back
Top Bottom