Trapping coons

Been thinning out coons on my property. Usually I use a live trap and dispatch them in the morning, but lately before I go to bed I'll poke my head out and see them all over my chicken coop, on the feeders etc. Its like whack-a-mole around here. So, i've been thinking of setting conibear traps for them. Can I set a conibear trap on a tree, say 5ft up on the trunk? This would keep other ground animals out of them, of course a coon could get to them.

Secondly, if I'm thinning out coons....will more just move in to fill the void? I've gotten rid of 10 so far, not seeing them every night anymore, but if I can be proactive in trapping them before I see gangs of them all over my bird pens, I'm thinking thatd be a plus.

I can effectively trap them in my cage trap, I was thinking more in numbers, like setting conibears around my tree line, so as to cover a couple hundred yards vs one spot where i have a cage trap.

Conibears can be a great tool however there's no release non targets. I would maybe add some (pull only) dog proof traps. Make sure they're anchored well coon are like little bears. Not sure what state you're in but maybe save the conibears for trapping season when the fur is prime so if you get a fisher or something it's able to be utilized. Feel free to reach out I always love to talk trapping!!!

Go with the Dog Proof traps, gang set the area (that means several sets in a particular area) Make sure they are well anchored. I like using a Berkshire or similar anchor with about 18 inches of cable. Oh, by the way I am not talking from by butt, I have been trapping for over 45 years and now trap regular season and do animal damage control work. I just finished attending the National Trappers Association Convention in Lima, Ohio as the NTA Director for New Hampshire

I recently lost a chicken to what I think was a raccoon; something reached in through the poultry fence and killed it.

The very next night something (again I think a raccoon) found a gap in the fence and grabbed another chicken.

I found the carcass about 10' outside the run; breasts gone, head chewed up, a little bit of the insides ripped out.

Over the last couple of years I've had them get into the pig feeder.

I trapped one raccoon in a havahart...

Raccoon Havahart trap Oct 18.jpg

... and shot three more.

Two with white light...

dead raccoon Nov 2018.jpg

Dead raccoon June 2020.JPG

And one with a thermal sight (no kill photo).

AR rifle thermal scope left side.jpg

Most recently I've put out the havahart and baited it with bacon, or marshmallows, or cantaloupe, but I think they've wised up to that ruse and avoid the trap.

I also set out a few conibear traps in likely avenues of approach near where they climb the pig fence, or near the hole they found in the fence.

I do have a motion alarm that I use to alert me when they were on the pig fence.

I may redeploy that near the coop run to get a heads up when they are lurking around.

camo motion sensor on post.jpg

Sardines work great!
This is the answer.

The other option which isn’t legal advice is sponges soaked in bacon greese or any lard…

Slightly better than poisoning but a terrible way to die. Also you have to worry about Peoples pets and other stupid shit that shouldn’t be on your property in the first place

Thanks for the replies. Well, so far, the past three nights haven't yielded anything so hopefully I've got them all, for now of course. They'll be back I'm sure. Just got to stay on top of it so its not a full on invasion like it was this year.

Barring any rain, how long should is it recommended to leave dog food in a dog proof raccoon trap before re baiting?

How long should I try dog food before switching to a different type of bait?

Back
Top Bottom