TRANSFER FEES on Mass North Shore.....

CaseHardened

Banned
Actually, this should be a MEGA-THREAD across the region, but here goes:

Valid TODAY 2016/10/13 according to Phone Calls and Personal Visits:

Bay State Arms - Peabody - $30 baystatefirearms.com

NorthEast Arms LLC - Peabody - $35 northeastarmsllc.com

North Shore Firearms - Middleton - $80 northshorefirearms.com

As a bloodthirsty PIRATE who lacks all morals, you can guess who I admire !

Eighty dollars? ��������

I asked for a transfer to the MANAGER to confirm the rate.

blackbeard.jpg

Captain, my Captain..........

(I was always a QuarterMaster. I regret NOTHING)

$80 just means I don't want to do this, but if you insist, I will.

These guys want you to buy what they have in the case. $80 transfer makes their prices more attractive, especially for the local yokels.

North Shore Firearms - Middleton - $80 northshorefirearms.com

Wow. As others have said, I don't know how this place stays in business. I guess the average new gun owner that lives in/around Middleton may not know any better?....

From their website:
* Incoming transfer fee & registering firearm: $80.00 each
This includes receiving, processing, filling out state and federal forms, calling in the NICS background check, going over the Attorney General's Consumer Protection disclosures (for handguns), recording the transaction as per B.A.T.F. rules, etc.

Last edited:
In case it helps anyone, I called around recently and got quotes from a bunch of the dealers on this side of the state.

$20 The Armory
$20 Odyssey
$20 Precision Point
$25 Bob's Original
$25 Patriot
$30 Bay State
$35 Northeast
$40 FS
$80 Ugottabeshittinme

Last edited:
Hunters Rendezvous ... Sales tax. [rofl]

Yup...they will try to charge you sales tax + a transfer fee. Can't remember the fee, but they told me over $20.

Sales tax on a service? WTF?!

Yes. They said "it's like buying a car in NH and registering it in MA" - I laughed and hung up.

I should have asked them how would they know how much I paid for the gun, but didn't feel like arguing with them.

Some will charge sales tax on the transfer service (illegal). The RAT did that on a gun (pre-BassPro fiasco) that I bought from another NES'r.

Others will charge you the sales tax on what they ASS-U-ME the retail price of the gun they are merely transferring to you (also illegal).

The way the MA Sales Tax works for the vendor payment to the state, the vendor pays 6.25% of the total retail sales . . . so what they collected for ass-u-me-d value of a gun they didn't sell will never be paid to the state . . . they pocket that as additional profit (tax fraud). If the state was ever asked to investigate this practice, there would be a few less FFLs in MA.

[I've had a MA Sales & Use Tax Vendor Certificate since ~1970 and have to file returns every quarter, so I know how the form & payment to the state works.]

Props to Patriot Arms in Ipswich. They received the transfer of my .44 and were super friendly and professional. Store's clean and well stocked, and they gave my gun a little gift. Looks like they're running low on ammo but I assume that's not the usual condition.

Glenn's in N. Reading has a sign which says they charge $40 for transfers, and I thought that was high!

Anybody know what Collector's charges?

Back
Top Bottom