Training the women in your life

JimConway

Instructor
There are those of you that try and try to train your wife to shoot well and fail miserably, again and again. The lesson that I have learned from training a number of women is that women process information in a different way than men. For example, I would explain a sight alignment and a sight picture in a few sentences for a male audience. For a female audience, I would expand on what I tell men and even include a few sketches because women process spatial information in a different way than men. This does not mean better or worse, just different.

As an example, I recently did some private training for a female cowboy action shooter what had a number of her husband's friends trying to improve her shooting over the years with no success. It became obvious to me that she did not understand what a proper sight picture was supposed to be. When I asked her about this she said all of the right words. I then drew a sight picture for her and briefly explained what I had drawn. Then I saw that she finally understood and almost immediately her shooting improved. I saw her husband last night and asked how she had at last week's match. He responded that she had shot better than he had ever hoped for and had a gigantic smile on his face.

The problem with teaching a woman to shoot is that we can not do it the same way we teach our shooting buddies. The best approach to teaching a woman to shoot well is to read and understand the 2 books by Vicki Farnam (John Farnam's wife).

Women Learning to Shoot: A Guide for Law Enforcement Officers by Diane Nicholl and Vicki Farnam (Paperback - May 18, 2006)
Buy new: $19.95

Teaching Women to Shoot: A Law Enforcement Instructor's Guide by Vicki Farnam (Paperback - Sep 20, 2002)
Buy new: $19.95

If you buy and read these two books, I am sure that you will save yourself a lot of frustration and have a lot more fun when you do shooting

Books

While the books that I suggested are focused on firearm training they do provide some insight on how a woman pricesses information and could help in other areas.
Round Gun, I doubt that it will help you convince her to wash your car.

While the books that I suggested are focused on firearm training they do provide some insight on how a woman pricesses information and could help in other areas.
Round Gun, I doubt that it will help you convince her to wash your car.

Thanks Jim, they all look like they are worth the read. I got her mowing the lawn, so a little study might get her to do the truck and then I can get her to the range again. (Last time was over 20 years ago)

Training wives

I took me almost 30 years to get my wife to be a shooter. The turning point was when I talked (read that as coerced) her into taking a 2 day Suarez Defensive Pistol class. Before the class, she was generally disinterested in any details of shooting and guns. Imagine my surprise when I found her trying a type 3 malfunction while sitting at the kitchen table after the class. As a result of the class her confidence rose, her safety became great, and this year she became an NRA Instructor. I am a happy camper.

Back
Top Bottom