Trading in a Sigma 9mm???

I'm thinking about trading in my S&W Sigma 9mm that has less than 250 rounds through it and buying a M&P. Anyone have any idea what I would get if I went to a local shop? Thanks[grin]

You won't get much for that pistol. They sell new for under $300 so I would imagine they would give you around $150 or so? Either way the upgrade to the M&P will be worth every penny you lose on the Sigma.

Don't even bother selling the Sigma, it could be useful as a car gun or SHTF backup. Save some money, get the M&P, and get a trigger job for it. Save the Sigma for pinking because you lose more than half the value by selling it.

Just my 2 cents; the sigma and the M@P have the worst triggers in a striker fired gun.You might want to look at a refurb glock or a walther p99. I can live with the sigma because of the price but the m@p is about the same in price or close as a glock or walther and you don't have to send it out and spend more money to fix the trigger.I know there alot of glock haters here but for me they are best poly frame- striker fired gun out there for us in this state because of this 10 lb. trigger pull b.s. Just my 2 cents.

I couldn't disagree with you more. The M&P trigger is great with a little bit of work. I had my tuned by Dan Burwell and the trigger is so slick and it breaks perfectly. The other option is to spend the $25 and buy the trigger bar that the rest of the country gets. The M&P is such a great firearm and is the best value on the market at this time. Great ergos and a great shooter.

You made my piont; the trigger NEEDS work. It sucks that you buy a new gun and it needs work out the box. I have fired a m@p 40 with the stock trigger and I agree with you its a great gun but most of us can not buy it with the standard factory trigger. Also will SW cover any repair on a weapon that has been changed with in any way.

S&W will still warranty the work on the pistol with trigger work. I know someone that had a custom trigger job on his M&P and then did some more work himself on it to the point that the trigger wouldn't reset. A trip to S&W and the gun was fixed good as new. I agree it sucks about having the MA trigger but that is said for any handgun we buy new in this state not just an M&P. If you remember when the Glocks were avail. the triggers we got we aweful as well.

The Walther P99 doesnt have a 10 lb trigger. What I am saying is that going from a sigma to a M@P is not the only or best step up, one bad trigger to another.There are other models that are available in the poly frame striker fired weapons. But your right with a trigger change the M@P is a fine gun.

I'm thinking about trading in my S&W Sigma 9mm that has less than 250 rounds through it and buying a M&P. Anyone have any idea what I would get if I went to a local shop? Thanks[grin]

Sell it yourself then e mail me. .I will be selling a M&P 40 with custom sights and the famous Burwell 4# trigger job very soon. Price will reflect the work but not the full amount.

Sorry for the shameless plug but I am currently working on a list for hand guns to sell.

regards,

Don't even bother selling the Sigma, it could be useful as a car gun or SHTF backup. Save some money, get the M&P, and get a trigger job for it. Save the Sigma for pinking because you lose more than half the value by selling it.

Listen to this man. The Sigma is nearly worthless as a trade gun, but invaluable as a throw away piece that you would not mind losing to cops after a righteous shooting.

The Walther P99 doesnt have a 10 lb trigger. What I am saying is that going from a sigma to a M@P is not the only or best step up, one bad trigger to another.There are other models that are available in the poly frame striker fired weapons. But your right with a trigger change the M@P is a fine gun.

If it's AG compliant and a striker fired or DA gun, it has a 10 pound trigger. The fact is that the M&P is available new in Mass, and the Glock is not.

I'm wondering how that would be since S&W makes the 99 and uses the same standards as they do with their other guns on making them MA compliant.

I agree on keeping the Sigma. To add insult to injury, S&W now offers a $50 rebate and two free magazines with the purchase of a Sigma or M&P. Keep it and use it in situations where you don't want to risk a "nicer" gun. Rainy days at the range, shooting surplus ammo, etc.

Yup, according to the 4 seasons website, for $299 -50 rebate = $249, you get a sigma + 4 mags. As a trade in you will be lucky to get 100 bucks.

With that said, I'll offer $125 for any used sigma 9mm. [laugh]

Last edited:
You won't get much for that pistol. They sell new for under $300 so I would imagine they would give you around $150 or so? Either way the upgrade to the M&P will be worth every penny you lose on the Sigma.

Without a trigger job, what is so much better about them?

The design of the sear/striker is a lot different. A ton can be done to make the trigger better. Some people on mp-pistol.com forums have gotten their pull down to under 3 pounds! The polymer on the M&P went through over 40 variations by MIT engineers to get it right. There is a steel chassis embedded in the frame of the M&P. The rails are replaceable. It's got a light rail. There are plenty of things going on for the M&P over the Sigma. When I traded mine into 4 Seasons I got $125.

The ergonomics are adjustable and and far superior. For me at least, the weight and balance are much better. AND they aren't being given out wholesale to Afghani and Iraqi forces.

Thanks guys. That is what I was looking to hear. Never really heard the differences laid out.

Source, maybe I have yours... I'd buy a couple more for $125...

I'm wondering how that would be since S&W makes the 99 and uses the same standards as they do with their other guns on making them MA compliant.

On a P99AS if you don't decock it (after loading)
you get a longer pull that breaks at about 5-6 lbs or so,
from first shot. That's just the way the gun is set up.

In a "decocked" state, it's probably in the range of 8-10 lbs firing
from DA, depending on how much the owner has dry fired
it. (I find the P99 and SW99 triggers get better with use).

Remember that the AG's standards are basically a bunch of
invented/made up on the fly crap. There are no "metric tests"
you can subject a gun to to make it "AG compliant". All the
manufacturer can really do is make educated guesses as to what
they can try to get away with, then attempt to sell it and see if
they get any flack over it or not.

-Mike

Back
Top Bottom