Trader John's Winchester NH.

Believe me I'm not looking for a fight just info. I read that this man is not overly popular. I recently shopped there while on vacation and found him to be a decent enough guy. I was there on two occasions and bought a revolver having it sent on to my FFL. Anyway to continue I see that someone posted that his shop is for sale. Sorry to here it as I wanted to pass through there again in the future. To my eyes his store was like falling into Alladin's cave and having the Genie pop out. My wife said that I literally began rubbing my hands together upon walking in without even realizing that I was doing so. Can someone in fact confirm that he is going under? There is still a lot of temptation there that I would like to buy.

I can see why he is not overly popular.

I was just up there earlier this week to pick up some ammo. While I was there I noticed a really nice rifle. The price was right so I pulled out a credit card and had him charge it. It wasn't untill I got home I noticed he bumped the price up by $10.00.

That pissed me off.
fuming.gif

I'm not one to begrudge someone the right to make a living but when you sneak in an extra charge the way he did, then I have a problem. IF he had a sign up SOMEWHERE informing me he was gonna do that I wouldn't have minded so much. The rifle was worth it.

So I am posting this here where his potential customers are and now they know why he is not overly popular. I will not spend another dime of my money in his shop.

Last edited:
This shop has a great inventory and I find myself taking rides there on rainy weekend days. He has a great inventory and some great deals. I never spent much time talking with the guy, he strikes me as a bit crusty. I'll still go in there on occasion, never know what you'll find. I hope he sticks around.

Stopped in today as we were on our way home from Keene (scenic route). Had to convince my wife I didn't plan the stop (I actually didn't, though if I'd remembered it was there I would have).

Anyhow, he isn't overly friendly (I interupted his gardening) but wasn't unfriendly. The shop is well supplied. An impressive collection of long arms, from muzzle loaders to AR's. I bought some reloading supplies (picked up the wrong box though... grrr... anyone need .45 255gn SWC's? I've got a bunch... next time: take one last look!). Prices looked on the high end of reasonable, but ok. It is a 45min+ drive to the nearest other shop, so he's got kind of a captive market.

By the way, I didn't get the surcharge MrTwigg encountered. That would bum me out too.

Matt

Last edited:
his prices are on the high side for guns.
i stop there every now and then when i'm passing through on the way to wally world or going to a friends house that isnt to far from there.

I was at this shop earlier this month. I received excellent service as well as a friendly reception. The prices on guns were more than fair as compared to my region. Feeling no need to dicker I bought a handgun and rifle from him and not having to pay sales tax was icing on the cake. I observed his interaction with other customers and found him to be decent and helpful. Next year when we pass through N.H. I plan on buying here again.

Shopping Johns

I used to stop in there whenpassing through on work. I find he is like many owners, I let him know upon entering if I'm looking to buy something and what I'm looking for. If I'm just browsing I inform him that I'll grab his attention if and when needed so he can concentrate on other things. He is knowledgable, and will talk if he thinks your a serious buyer.

This guy has quite a selection but the prices are Very high, he is definitely not friendly (unless maybe your his age or older) but that seems to be common with many gun shop owners. Carl from Four Seasons and the Guy from Guns & Gun Parts are the only shop owners I met that are actually friendly. Its 2014 and Trader John is still in business so I guess the rumors were not true after all.

I went there recently, and they had SO MUCH ammo it was unbelievable. It's all at "gun store" prices but not outrageous, 30 for .357, 20 for 9mm, etc. The guns seemed pricey and the man and woman weren't exactly the friendliest but they weren't mean. A guy kept talking to the man and he carried on a conversation somewhat, but he made me feel awkward for dawdling around like I was interrupting him and he thought I was a thief. The woman told me I could only have 2 boxes of 380 when I got to the register which was fine I understood, and the transaction went smoothly. It seems all small gun store owners are like that in my experience, they don't like talking. You'd think that wouldn't be the case but there it is.

Stopped by there today. Agree pretty much with all of the above comments. Appears there is a very slow turnover of used guns. The ones I saw there 6 months ago have not moved (and are still way overpriced). Seems to do a respectable job a a deer registering station, the tally board was nearly full with 5 today.

We certainly got the gambit here, high prices, very high prices, not out of line prices, the guy is friendly, almost friendly, unfriendly, and crusty. This is why I love social media. As for his mark up, he ought to do what four seasons seems to do, everything is marked up 4% in anticipation of a credit card sale and it automatically comes off for debit or cash. No one notices so all is good. [laugh]

We certainly got the gambit here, high prices, very high prices, not out of line prices, the guy is friendly, almost friendly, unfriendly, and crusty. This is why I love social media. As for his mark up, he ought to do what four seasons seems to do, everything is marked up 4% in anticipation of a credit card sale and it automatically comes off for debit or cash. No one notices so all is good. [laugh]

I've been there a couple times myself and found the guy just glared at me. Seemed okay when I asked questions but I did not feel welcome there at all. I don't get that attitude because you rely on word of mouth in a business like that.

Back
Top Bottom