Trade-in value for an M&P 9c?

Hello,

This may be a dumb question, but after all the recent discussion on these threads regarding the opportunity for swapping barrels on the .40 version of the M&P I've decided I may trade in my 9c for the .40c and I want to know where I stand or what I should be looking for as a trade-in value for my gun. The Gun was purchased in March of this year brand new from Four Seasons at around $520 I believe and has the two extra mags (two have the extended grip, two do not). I have shot a few hundred rounds through it and cleaned it after every trip to the range and it has no cosmetic damage (not that it matters really, but pic below).

I guess my real question is; if a store has a used M&P 40c for sale would be realistic for me to expect to get an even trade as a one for one for the .40c without having to pay additional costs? I want to stick with this S&W platform of gun, but would just prefer to have a wider availability of options. The last time I was at Collector's in Stoneham the gentlemen expressed some interest in purchasing my gun because apparently the 9mm has been selling very quickly, so I don't believe the 9 to be necessarily any less in demand or valuable to a potential buyer than the .40, but I know that when considering any trade-ins with a potential dealer they usually win out when it comes to profit-margins and I'm at a certain disadvantage. I guess I'm just looking for thoughts and opinions really and appreciate any input or advice.

2zjkx94.jpg

Last edited:
if a store has a used M&P 40c for sale would be realistic for me to expect to get an even trade as a one for one for the .40c without having to pay additional costs?

I wouldn't expect a straight up trade from most dealers unless they got the .40c for next to nothing. IOW, they're in business to make money. What you propose doesn't look like it has a positive expectation dollar-wise. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

You understand the difference between trade in value and private sale value, right? I'm not trying to be rude, just asking because it's not always apparent. A dealer will take something in trade only to make money on it. Your 9c may be worth more in a private sale than it is worth to a dealer because the dealer has to factor in his margin whereas an individual just wants a cool firearm for a decent price.

I wouldn't expect a straight up trade from most dealers unless they got the .40c for next to nothing. IOW, they're in business to make money. What you propose doesn't look like it has a positive expectation dollar-wise. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask.

You understand the difference between trade in value and private sale value, right? I'm not trying to be rude, just asking because it's not always apparent. A dealer will take something in trade only to make money on it. Your 9c may be worth more in a private sale than it is worth to a dealer because the dealer has to factor in his margin whereas an individual just wants a cool firearm for a decent price.

Thank you, I appreciate the response and I do understand that. The reason I ask is because I don't want to necessarily deal with a private sale if I can do a one-for-one swap which may or may not be possible without added fees. I love this gun and don't want to sell it, simply considering a swap and if I have an idea of the general value I'll at least feel I have a less likelihood of being taken advantage of.

Also, for reference, there has been no trigger work done on this gun.

You will always lose money trading in. The gun store makes money by buying at wholesale and selling at retail. If you insist on selling it, sell it privately.

Exactly!!! Your much better off trying to private sale it for $450. There was someone new last night looking for one. But seems like his thread got deleted.

www.mp-pistol.com is good specific site for m&p's that might be a good place to move it.

I wouldn't expect any more $300 from a dealer if trading it in, the chances of a fair swap are also very slim for guns as common as those, the dealer has to make some money on the deal to go through with it.

There's some chance that FS will cut you a better deal since you bought the first one there. Carl does care about keeping his customers happy. Maybe not an even trade, but maybe not too far off, either.

My estimate: A used M&P 9c will sell new just around the $500 mark. Used from a dealer, in the $425 range. So, assuming an 18% consignment commission, that leaves you with $348.50 in your pocket.

A lot of value is lost, similar to a new car purchase, when the gun leaves the "showroom".

thank you all for the input! I expected this to be the case but just wanted to receive some input from the people here, I greatly appreciate it!

Why not change your 9c into a 40c by changing the barrel and mags?, I believe it's the same platform. A shop would give you $350-400 for the 9c and sell it used for a $100 more.

I wish I could, that's really the problem I'm having- the 9 does not have this capability, only the higher caliber models.

My bad your are right, using a Storm Lake conversion barrel you can go from a 40 to a 9. Due to differences in the size of the breech face between the 9 and 40, you'd have to buy a new slide assembly, you might as well buy another gun. Sorry for the stupid suggestion.[sad2]

As a general rule, consignment gets you the most $$; trade-in second; and out right sale to a shop the least - although just like cars, the amount allowed for a trade can vary with how much the shop owner is making on the gun being sold to you. Selling via FTF througs NES can sometimes do better than consignment, but is limited to 4 per calendar year in MA.

I have two thoughts.
1) Determine a dollar amount that would work for you. Let's say it's your gun plus $100 or maybe only your gun plus $50. Go to the gun store and make that proposal. If they're literally swapping gun for gun and making a few $$ in the process it might not be a bad deal for them. I'm thinking there has to be at least a few bucks in it for them though.
2)Trade with an individual. There may be someone here who wishes they bought the 9mm. I think that's your best bet for a straight up trade.

Last edited:
My experience is +/- 60% for trade purposes 50% if you want all out cash. There always exceptions to that rule though. Case in point I had a Browning low wall in 22 Hornet that I got what I paid it when I sold it at KTP.
Got bit by the AR bug used the money to buy my first AR.

I've got a better deal for you... I have a 40c in perfect shape with a remsport trigger job (<5 lb. & smooth pull). PM me to discuss a trade... I need a cheaper round for IDPA.

Back
Top Bottom