Tour of Hopkinton Sportsmen's Prior to Tonights Meeting

I will be heading over to Hopkinton Sportsman's tonight to turn in application. I was wondering if any members would be around who would mind showing me around prior to the meeting.

Throwing it out there.

Thanks, Jason

I was wondering about joining Hopkinton being I lived there half my life and all of my faimly is from there.

If anyone wants to pm me about details it would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you in advance, Joe

Rather than PM, I'll post it here anyone to read:

Facilities
- 6 position 50 ft indoor pistol range, all conventional pistol calibers (no black powder or rifle caliber Contenders)
- 100 yard outdoor range
- 200 yard outdoor range
- 3 short (10-12 yard) outdoor pistol pits
- Two 25 yard outdoor pistol ranges under construction
- Two lighted skeet fields
- One lighted trap field

Access
- 24x7 indoors unless a conflicting event or maintenance activity is going on
- Daylight for outdoor rifle/pistol ranges
- Skeet/Trap machines open a few times a week. Machines are not self-serve outside
those hours, but you can bring your own thrower any time during daylight hours

Magazine capacity restrictions
- You must have this place confused with some other club :)

Holster draw
- Outdoor ranges only

Guest policy
- Pretty flexible, but only members who have passed a shooting test can use the 200 yard range

Cost
- $125 initiation
- $130/year
- 5 work hours (many opportunities, or just propose a project and get permission to do it)

Fuddism
- We got rid of that years ago along with the mag loading limit

Access
- Card key issued. Written test required for outdoor ranges. Range test (shoot a few rounds with El-Prez on the indoor range) required to have card key enabled for indoor range. 200 yard test (show you can keep rounds on targets at that distance and have equipment to see your hits from the firing line) required to use that range.

I joined the night of the op. Good facilities, easy rules and a bunch of good people.

Just waiting on my membership card to come so I can get the range quals behind me, then mrs zbomb will have to drag me off the range.

Big thanks to Mike (ipscdrl) and Rob for the tour and answering my questions.

I highly intend on joining this club! I just want to make sure I read that right there is an indoor range? and the access is 24hrs 7 days a week??

Absolutely read it right. It's actually the same reason I joined, thinking I would only ever shoot at paper after work and at night so I didn't have to worry about sharing the line with other people and waiting to reset targets. Once you get to know the guys at the club though and they force you to shoot at a uspsa practice on a wednesday and then use their rifle on the outdoor range and have you race a friend on the outdoor plate racks followed by bringing out the texas star and polish plate rack...

I haven't been in the indoor range since the winter and now I dread shooting paper. HSA has so much to offer and so many fun people to shoot with. If you want to come check out the club I can show you around today when I get out of work, shoot me a pm if interested.

Absolutely read it right. It's actually the same reason I joined, thinking I would only ever shoot at paper after work and at night so I didn't have to worry about sharing the line with other people and waiting to reset targets. Once you get to know the guys at the club though and they force you to shoot at a uspsa practice on a wednesday and then use their rifle on the outdoor range and have you race a friend on the outdoor plate racks followed by bringing out the texas star and polish plate rack...

I haven't been in the indoor range since the winter and now I dread shooting paper. HSA has so much to offer and so many fun people to shoot with. If you want to come check out the club I can show you around today when I get out of work, shoot me a pm if interested.

PM'd

Yes and Yes.

YES

The club has been improving for the past few years. Some of the projects completed over the past few years include:

- Added 200 yard rifle range
- Added pistol pits
- Cleared land for 2 new 25 yard pistol ranges, finalizing arrangements for the final build-out
- Locate well (for decades, nobody knew where it was), upgrade equipment, bring well head up to code (i.e., above ground)
- Replace 40% efficient oil furnace with 96% natural gas and have gas run to the club
- Replace ailing card key system with a modern one
- Fixed lighting on trap field
- Replaced screwed up trap machine with one that actually works
- Poured regulation dimension concrete trap shooting pad
- Added 40ft conex box for pistol range storage
- Added downrange warning lights on rifle range

^ I grew up on Haydenrow and used to play in the woods and found it one day with my sister (because back then kids played outside)

;) Im sure it was hard for the women to find the men back in the day

Does anybody know the hours there open so i can drop off my application?
I ask because I work nights and i dont want to show up to early or to late.

Last edited:
You'll have to show up in person to either a Board of Director's meeting or a general meeting. These take place on the first and second Mondays of each month respectively in the evening. Check the calendar at www.hsasports.com for times.

OK wasn't 100% if I had to go before or just show up at a meeting I'll be going on the 3rd.

I need to stop by there myself. The 3rd is a holiday, are you sure there's a meeting that night? Their calendar says there is, just seems odd they would meet on Labor Day.

I need to stop by there myself. The 3rd is a holiday, are you sure there's a meeting that night? Their calendar says there is, just seems odd they would meet on Labor Day.

i was thinking the same, I have tried to call some people on the web site, I haven't been lucky I was hoping someone from here would shed some light on if there's going to be a meeting or not.

Chopper Man, Shaggy -
Calendar my error - corrected to read the 10th. Please be there about 715PMish. Application, some bucks, membership in either GOAL or the NRA, LTC. Look forward to meeting you.
Bob
(aka - El Prez)

Back
Top Bottom