• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Tough lesson learned...

Open doors are out of date by decades, even out here in rural Kentucky where most people are armed and know all their neighbors.

The wrong person, high on what ever, might want more than your TV and a cup of coffee, they might want your life.

I highly suggest you reassess your security protocols, regardless of where you live. It's not paranoia, it's just good common sense self preservation.

Ehhh not necessarily. I work in security and an interesting point was brought up by my old boss. His philosophy was leave the doors unlocked and arm your security system, once they enter the alarm goes off and you wont have to buy a new door. If they want to get it, they will. All door locks are incredibly useless and can be easily bypassed.

Some of my other favorites I hear from people " I have a big dog". Ok again if I am hell bent on getting to you your dog is not going to stop me. Most dogs are easily persuaded by food. Or again someone shows up to kill you, your dog goes nuts comes to the door or window and you put a round through them.

One of my other all time favorites " I have cameras". Oh really? good for you. Again they are completely useless against someone hell bent on ending you. Sure they can be visual deterrent for your basic package thief but will only put your death on video. If you have someone smart enough coming after you they will get rid of any video evidence.

But it is truly incredibly how far a fake badge and a vest can get you, all you have to do is act like you belong there. People are incredibly stupid and gullible. I will show up to homes and caretakers will be there, they will not let me in because they were not instructed to do so by the owners. They always apologize to me, but I always tell them there is no need. I be sure to reinforce they did the right thing before just letting me in the home.

They always apologize to me, but I always tell them there is no need. I be sure to reinforce they did the right thing before just letting me in the home.
"You are not going to turn a good man violent by being firm with him, but you may turn a scumbag away who thought you were an easy target."

- Kevin Owens, Fieldcraft Survival

Ehhh not necessarily. I work in security and an interesting point was brought up by my old boss. His philosophy was leave the doors unlocked and arm your security system, once they enter the alarm goes off and you wont have to buy a new door. If they want to get it, they will. All door locks are incredibly useless and can be easily bypassed.

Some of my other favorites I hear from people " I have a big dog". Ok again if I am hell bent on getting to you your dog is not going to stop me. Most dogs are easily persuaded by food. Or again someone shows up to kill you, your dog goes nuts comes to the door or window and you put a round through them.

One of my other all time favorites " I have cameras". Oh really? good for you. Again they are completely useless against someone hell bent on ending you. Sure they can be visual deterrent for your basic package thief but will only put your death on video. If you have someone smart enough coming after you they will get rid of any video evidence.

But it is truly incredibly how far a fake badge and a vest can get you, all you have to do is act like you belong there. People are incredibly stupid and gullible. I will show up to homes and caretakers will be there, they will not let me in because they were not instructed to do so by the owners. They always apologize to me, but I always tell them there is no need. I be sure to reinforce they did the right thing before just letting me in the home.

If a broken door/casing is the only expense I encounter by having 20 seconds of warning of someone invading my occupied home, I'll take it.

Just from your contradicting statements in the above post, I wouldn't hire you or your company to watch my garden.

If a broken door/casing is the only expense I encounter by having 20 seconds of warning of someone invading my occupied home, I'll take it.

Just from your contradicting statements in the above post, I wouldn't hire you or your company to watch my garden.

It was a simple idea to avoid unnecessary costs associated with a break in. You aren't going to submit an insurance claim for a petty break in.

It is a simple difference of opinion to have doors locked or unlocked. As I also said above, if someone wants in they are getting in. Who's to say you would even hear it?

Chill pal

It was a simple idea to avoid unnecessary costs associated with a break in. You aren't going to submit an insurance claim for a petty break in.

It is a simple difference of opinion to have doors locked or unlocked. As I also said above, if someone wants in they are getting in. Who's to say you would even hear it?

Chill pal
Chill?[rofl]Nah, I'd rather discuss the reality of locked doors while home.

You make a lot of assumptions....... that is not a good trait or mindset for someone who works in "security". Never assume anything.

Security is not a "one and done" issue. The best security is layered, starting as far out as practicable.

Locked doors simply provide another barrier "layer", just like fences, gates, walls, dogs, properly placed boulders, steep sided ditches, closely spaced concrete filled posts, thorn bearing plants, etc. Add to those, cameras, electronic annunciation, dogs, geese, peacocks, ducks, etc.

Good "active security" is a man or men with guns and sharp eyes.

I've been told that with a hardhat, a safety vest, and a clip board that you can get into a lot of places, but the home security video of this home invasion unfortunately validates the point:
Worked fine when I was in college and we wanted to do some "campus exploration". Also found the answer "we're doing a feasabilty study" worked nicely, but there were unable to find the map to the utility tunnels we requested.

Chill?[rofl]Nah, I'd rather discuss the reality of locked doors while home.

You make a lot of assumptions....... that is not a good trait or mindset for someone who works in "security". Never assume anything.

Security is not a "one and done" issue. The best security is layered, starting as far out as practicable.

Locked doors simply provide another barrier "layer", just like fences, gates, walls, dogs, properly placed boulders, steep sided ditches, closely spaced concrete filled posts, thorn bearing plants, etc. Add to those, cameras, electronic annunciation, dogs, geese, peacocks, ducks, etc.

Good "active security" is a man or men with guns and sharp eyes.

Yeah well aware how security works and there is no one solution, again if you read my above post about how people rely on dogs and cameras. I made no assumptions I asked if you would even hear it. Depending on the size/layout and points in the home. You could be working out with headphones on and not hear it, you could be showering, could be in your workshop with tools. I simply pointed out that IF you chose to leave a door unlocked you would not have to replace said door.

As I type this in my house with all my doors locked (which is MY belief). I was simply pointing out a different belief and opinion in regards to securing a property before you chose to attack me. Welcome to the internet where people have discussions and share different ideas. Holy hell.

Yeah well aware how security works and there is no one solution, again if you read my above post about how people rely on dogs and cameras. I made no assumptions I asked if you would even hear it. Depending on the size/layout and points in the home. You could be working out with headphones on and not hear it, you could be showering, could be in your workshop with tools. I simply pointed out that IF you chose to leave a door unlocked you would not have to replace said door.

As I type this in my house with all my doors locked (which is MY belief). I was simply pointing out a different belief and opinion in regards to securing a property before you chose to attack me. Welcome to the internet where people have discussions and share different ideas. Holy hell.

Your first post was pretty dismissive of just about every security layer people have mentioned. Yes, we're all aware that a determined attacker can defeat many of those precautions but it doesn't mean they're useless as your post implied. Yeah, I know my cameras won't actually stop someone but when I'm home, I know long before anyone gets to the door that they're coming. And I found a new setting that notifies anyone approaching that they're being recorded, Amazon guy definitely took notice earlier, lol. And the doors are locked and yes, I know they can get through those too. And my alarm system is usually on in Home mode and I know that won't stop anyone either. I don't have a dog but many here do and that's another layer, and yeah they're susceptible to food once you gain access to them.

So yeah, if Delta Force wants to rappel through my window at o'dark thirty they'll get me I'm sure. If some meth head decides to sprint up to my house, smash the door down and come inside, he will although I'll have some notice. I would suggest that many of us here have more than adequate security, your determined attacker notwithstanding.

Your first post was pretty dismissive of just about every security layer people have mentioned. Yes, we're all aware that a determined attacker can defeat many of those precautions but it doesn't mean they're useless as your post implied. Yeah, I know my cameras won't actually stop someone but when I'm home, I know long before anyone gets to the door that they're coming. And I found a new setting that notifies anyone approaching that they're being recorded, Amazon guy definitely took notice earlier, lol. And the doors are locked and yes, I know they can get through those too. And my alarm system is usually on in Home mode and I know that won't stop anyone either. I don't have a dog but many here do and that's another layer, and yeah they're susceptible to food once you gain access to them.

So yeah, if Delta Force wants to rappel through my window at o'dark thirty they'll get me I'm sure. If some meth head decides to sprint up to my house, smash the door down and come inside, he will although I'll have some notice. I would suggest that many of us here have more than adequate security, your determined attacker notwithstanding.

LOL I'd love to see someone come to my house and attempt to gain entry by offering our GSD food. (signed damages and video waivers are mandatory). [rofl]

Worked fine when I was in college and we wanted to do some "campus exploration". Also found the answer "we're doing a feasabilty study" worked nicely, but there were unable to find the map to the utility tunnels we requested.

Hahaha, today you'd probably be held in jail for some type of "terrorism planning" [smile]

Agreed.
Like has been said before; if they want us bad enough, they'll get us eventually.
Yet, every security precaution that we put in place will put the circumstances more in our favor and give the bad guy an opportunity to make more mistakes.

Back when I lived in the city, was common for the homeless & junkies to wander the neighborhood at night, rattling door handles looking for an unlocked door.

Same deal with car doors.
Rb6fRA9.gif

As to the door - leaving it locked gives you a couple of seconds to prepare, and also provides evidence that you did not invite or lure the subject into your home (important in MA where everyone is assumed guilty in self defense cases until proven otherwise).

The typical locked door is useless against a determined attacker. Thats a fact. However it does slow them down, makes noise, gives you a heads up, gives your neighbor an opportunity to see something shady going on, etc. My doors are always locked, including the storms. (storm door locks are even more useless, but its another layer for them to deal with). A couple of stories...

Back in the day I worked for a woman whose father was forced into the basement of his home at gunpoint, hogtied face down on the floor (thought he was going to die right there) and robbed by a guy dressed as a UPS driver. Rang the bell holding a box and when the father opened the door, he pulled a gun and forced his way inside.

Second story was something I remember seeing on probably the Discovery Channel years ago. Older couple murdered, cops are interviewing the suspect. Guy had kicked in the door at night, held them at gunpoint, raped the wife then killed them both. At one point the guy bragged to the cops about how he made it to their bedroom before they were even out of bed. Cops asked if he had been in the house before and when he replied no they asked how he was able to get to the bedroom so fast if he was unfamiliar with the layout of the home. He responded that he had watched the house for a few nights and saw that the last light to go out was always at the same window, which he concluded must be the bedroom. Shows how cunning some people are and also shows the down side of having routines, whether at home or away.

The 10-15 second warning by having my storm door and entry door locked as well as my dogs barking will probably be the difference between life and death.
I have cameras and agree that they will only be useful after the fact...

Are mortal enemies hell-bent on killing a specific person really that common? I don't think anyone hates me enough to ignore all of my layers of security but they sure are likely to make a burglar move on to the house on the block.

Dogs & doors are for deterrence, delay, and detection. Video cameras are evidence for the prosecution.
Are mortal enemies hell-bent on killing a specific person really that common? I don't think anyone hates me enough to ignore all of my layers of security but they sure are likely to make a burglar move on to the house on the block.
Only in the movies.

This mindset is why today's engineering students are graduating with no practical knowledge of, or experience, in explosives.

Just to clarify, that is not my mindset, I think everyone should have knowledge in and experience with explosives. I was referring to the mindset of government, thinking that there is a boogieman in everything they're not involved in. [thumbsup]

Just to clarify, that is not my mindset, I think everyone should have knowledge in and experience with explosives. I was referring to the mindset of government, thinking that there is a boogieman in everything they're not involved in. [thumbsup]
The lab session are the "gotcha" đź’Ł

Two to three story condos and apartment buildings with balconies are easy targets. So many people at my place tell me they don't lock their slider or windows because they're on the upper floors. I tell them some guy shows up looking like a contractor with an extension ladder doing work on the building and no one will think any differently. As for kicking doors in, there's generally no need. For some bizarre reason a lot of people just use the door knob lock and never use their deadbolt.

Back
Top Bottom