PRIVATE LESSON AAR
ONSIGHT FIREARMS TRAINING
BEN DEWALT
www.oftllc.us

July 11, 2019
New Bedford Rod & Gun Club, New Bedford, MA
11:30am -4:30 P.M.

KATE's AAR
(ATTENDED AND WRITTEN BY A 14-YEAR-OLD GIRL)

I, as well as my father JEFF_WATCH, were trained by Benjamin DeWalt, owner of OnSight Firearms Training. Ben came all the way from NY to train us. Once he arrived we set up, Ben had us first review firearms safety rules:

1. Keep your finger off the trigger until your gun is pointed at the target and you have made the decision to shoot.

2. Never let the muzzle cross anything you are not willing to destroy.

3. Treat all guns as they are always loaded.

4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

After this quick review, he continued to elaborate on these going into more details on each rule. Then, Ben went over what we would do if one of us got severely injured, calling 911. After the quick review and medical instructions, we started to shoot from the 7-yard line. The targets we were shooting at were bulls-eye targets (my dad called them B8 targets), and due to me being a little shaky- not being used to the recoil of the gun- Ben had me take a deep breath and shoot all of my rounds in my magazine into the target so that I would get more used to the gun.

---

After a couple of shots into the targets, Ben began to teach me the basics on shooting:

• The proper stance when shooting-right leg back, foot 45-degree angle.
  • Keep your shoulders forward over your hips, elbows bent, arms straight, proper holding of the gun without gaps.
  • How to rack the gun
The next technique was the trigger pull technique, which they called trigger reset. It helped me with less movement of the gun, better aim, and shooting the gun quicker. This technique was pressing the trigger, once the gun fired I would hold the trigger to the rear and letting it out slowly until I heard it click. Trigger-reset helped with my aim and let me reflect more on what I could be doing better with my grip and posture rather than the position of my gun.

After the trigger reset, we continued to do holster work, in which I had to listen to his instructions on how many rounds to shoot and when. The word “up” was used to fire the rounds. One round into the target, then return back into the holster carefully.

---

For the remainder of the class, we repeatedly changed the shape of the targets. Ben first changed our targets to a box and we would try to make all of our hits into the box. After the shots, Ben would then circle on our paper the missed shots and have us assess what we were doing wrong, as well as inform us on what he thought we could do better. We continued this exercise with a small circle in the middle and then a target with a big circle, doing the same assessment of what we could learn from each shot. The constant changing of targets was not only to help with the aim, but was to help our brains adjust to the change in target.

The last exercise was one that had six boxes on four pieces of paper and each box had a number to the left of them (typically the top box had a one and the bottom box of the page had a two). Each number was how many rounds we had to shoot into the boxes. In this, we also had to shoot each box on the paper clock-wise. Due to it being the end of the day I was beginning to get tired and messed up on that exercise. While I was aiming, I pressed the trigger and the gun didn’t go off because my grip was not tight enough on the safety, but I thought a bullet was caught. So I stopped what I was doing to check but before I could look my index finger, it slipped on the trigger, the gun fired and caught me off guard and shook me up. No one was hurt and nothing was damaged, because two of the safety rules were followed. The gun was pointed in a safe direction and the muzzle did not cross anything I did not want to be destroyed. The bullet hit the ground between me and the target, I was just scared half to death. LESSON LEARNED!

My father when shooting messed up the order and the rounds into the target.

Debrief

At the end of the training, we shared our thoughts and what we could do better. I learned the following:

• A tight grip on the gun is very important
  • Don’t overthink shooting unless needed
  • Make a habit of keeping the index finger on the side of the gun in the ejection hole.
  • Keep head up straight, looking at the target
  • Make stance and arm position a habit
  • Practice, practice, and practice.
Overall Benjamin DeWalt was a great instructor and I learned a ton! I will take more instruction with him!

MY DADS AAR IS HERE: OnSight Firearms Training PRIVATE LESSON w/14 yr old daughter

8OmW71t.jpg

Pretty well done. One point though, finger in the ejection hole has me confused. Seriously. Maybe edit to get the message she is trying to convey.

Pretty well done. One point though, finger in the ejection hole has me confused. Seriously. Maybe edit to get the message she is trying to convey.

Thank you
She was saying that she was told to keep her index finger (trigger finger) high off the trigger on the ejection port when she had not made the decision to pull the trigger.

Back
Top Bottom