Took the Mosin apart tonight

Garys

NES Member
And I got it back together with no parts left over. Actually a pretty easy weapon to strip down. I printed out the directions from Surplusrifle.com, but figured out almost all of it without referring to them. I figure if a semi literate Russian soldier could do it... <G>

Anyway, the rifle is in really good condition. I followed another member's advice and used some Break Free to loosen the Cosmolene around the barrel bands. Other than that, it was easy to take apart. A little oiley, so I cleaned it with Break Free and M7-Pro. I noticed a couple of very small rust spots, but they cleaned up pretty well. The chamber was very clean, so nothing was needed there. I ran the Bore Snake through the barrel and not much gunk came out, which was good. The bore is very clean and shiney.

I cleaned the wood with Simple Green and Orange Glo, but there is still a bit of Cosmolene where the barrel bands sit. That's going to need a bit more work when I get a chance. The Orange Glo does shine up the wood very nicely.

I left the bolt for another night. I'll take that apart and clean and lube it. Afte that it will be ready to shoot. I'll have to see if I can find some cheap ammo at Holbrook this weekend. If not, I'll head back out to Marlboro in April and hope for some bargain ammo.

Gary

Two things... invest in a small, and I mean small, flashlight that lets you see inside the chamber. This will let you spot any gunk that you may have missed. A cheap dental mirror and set of picks helps too. Sometimes its hard to see up high in the chamber. Think of it as when the dentist cleans yer teeth, only w/out the pain.[laugh]
Only use your Bore Snake when your doing a quick clean up either at the range, or when you're getting ready to shoot after the rifle has been sitting for a while with oil in the bore. New rifles should get a dry patch pushed through from the breech and out the muzzle with the bolt removed. In some cases you'll actually see a cosmolene snake come out of the barrel. Times like that are when pouring hot hot hot water down the barrel with a funnel will help to loosen up and melt the cosmolene. (i'll post a pic this weekend of a funel and tube gizmo I made that works great for corrosive ammo clean up with hot water) Then after some brushing and patching, a bore snake can be used to get any excess crap left inside form the regular cleaning.
If you've gunked the bore snake with cosmolene already, don't sweat. Just soak it in some hot soapy water, rinse well and hang it to dry. They last a long time with regular cleanings.

Almsot forgot.. any left over cosmolene thats stuborn can be softened up with heat from a hair dryer, then scrubbed away with an old toothbrush and simple green.

I forgot to mention that I have and use a small LED flashlight. It has a flex neck and makes a pretty decent bore light. Just don't aim it directly up the bore, lest ye be blinded. [frown] OUCH! I followed your suggestion and did look in the chamber. I'll do the patch thing tomorrow night. I'm really surprised, and pleased , at how clean this gun is. The Bore Snake came out almost as clean as it went in, but I'll still give the rifle a once over with a patch. No doubt your tips will really come in handy when I get the SKS with the complimentary Cosmolene. [crying]

I still have to take the K31 apart and later this week or early next week the Savage made Enfield should be arriving. I think my wife is starting to worry about me. Still, this is a much cheaper (and safer) mid life crisis than collecting blonds!

Thanks for the tips.

Gary

Milsurps 4 Me said:
Almsot forgot.. any left over cosmolene thats stuborn can be softened up with heat from a hair dryer, then scrubbed away with an old toothbrush and simple green.

Cool. I also bought a cheap heat gun, but I think it's too hot and could do more harm than good.

Probably better to buy a cheap hair dryer than try to borrow the wife's. <G>

gary

How's the finish on the wood? When I got mine it had a colored shellac type finish that was flaking in a few places. I decided to strip it off and what I found was a laminated stock. The colored shellac finish completely covered the grain. After stripping it and coating it with BLO, I ended up with this:

mosin38.jpg

Back
Top Bottom