Took my wife shooting last week

I took my wife to the range last week for the first time. I’ve been a licensed gun owner for almost 10 years (married the whole time) and it hasn’t been until recently that she said she wanted to come along. For the most part she hasn’t care much about guns..she’s from a country in South America that has seen its share of violence over the decades (she has even been close-by during 3 shootings (unharmed)). I didn’t have to convince her at all: she offered to come along in an effort to spend a little more time together.

I brought along a Glock 17 9mm, Mossberg 590 12 ga. and a Bushmaster XM15-E2S A2 5.56/.223 (although she only wanted to try the Glock). We spent some time before going to the range reviewing gun safety, handling the gun (unloaded), etc. She was a bit in shock when we first arrived listening to the other shooters firing their weapons...I spent some time talking her through gun handling, grip, aiming, loading a magazine, etc. Then I took a few shots to demonstrate and then let her loose. Here is what her first target looked like at 5 yds. (minus the bull’s eye which was mine):

DSC03605_nes.jpg

and again at 7.5 yds. (she thought that 10 yds. was too far away for this first visit):

DSC03609_nes.jpg

She watched while I took a few shots with the 590 and XM15. She didn’t seem spooked by them…we left after an hour and a half. I though she did really well for a beginner…she even said that she’d come again [grin]

Nice! Rep for taking her. Not bad, first time out and all on the target except 1 flyer!

Now talk my wife into going [laugh] (she doesn't like loud noises, wears my hearing protectors when we watch fireworks [laugh])

Back
Top Bottom