Too many temptations

SKS Ray

NES Member
Since I've started surfing diferent WTS forums, I've found wayyyy too many milsurp temptations. Some sites have a feeding frenzy of "I'll take it" replies when a good deal pops up. I've seen some rifles that I could easily grab in a heartbeat but have to be careful of spending. Just last night I had to pass on a 1950 Tula SKS with early features like square gas block and hole in the receiver latch. Price was pretty fair for the rifle and it would have made a great addition to my collection but I could easily lose myself and go spiralling into the deep hole of debt.[crying]

I have been on for me personally, a real tear. Since Christmas:
1 Mosin PU repro sniper
2 M44's
2 K31's
1 Type 53
1 M91
1 SVT40 (on the way)

The problem I am having is trying to slow down while seeing all this good stuff out there!

I have been on for me personally, a real tear. Since Christmas:
1 Mosin PU repro sniper
2 M44's
2 K31's
1 Type 53
1 M91
1 SVT40 (on the way)

The problem I am having is trying to slow down while seeing all this good stuff out there!

Having been collecting for a while its easier to hold back when I see deals out there since I already have some nice examples of whats available these days. Kinda like a checklist.
My 1 weakness though are Mosins with nice furniture and SKS rifles.[grin] Oh, and .22 trainers. Gotta stay away from those because some are pretty cheap and once you get a few you wind up wanting them all because they're cheap to shoot. Problem is after you buy some of the cheaper ones you want the high end more desirable ones like Mauser and Enfield trainers.

Being fairly new to milsurps, I find them like Lay's chips. There's so many varieties and they're fairly cheap compared to other firearms, and great fun to shoot! Not to mention the cheap ammo, yeah! In the past month I've bought:
1942 Russian 91/30
1944 Finnish M39
1942 German BYF Mauser
Must.....resist....

...I could easily lose myself and go spiralling into the deep hole of debt.[crying]
Been there done that got the tshirt and the scars.

I tend to go in spurts. Dig a hole and then stop buying for a while. Dig another hole. Well my spurt since Jan went too far...AGAIN and I've got to back off.

I should have sold one BEFORE I bought the one last Wed, but where's the fun in that.

Maybe I need a 12 step program for my SDA (Senseless Desire to Aquire).

This is one of the biggest reason I have have NOT allowed myself to get my C&R. I'd go broke.

My problem is that I can only fit one more rifle in my gun cabinets. When I do that I can get no more until I get a new cabinet to put them in. I don't know how I can do that with out the Mrs finding out !

There's a method to the madness.

If you only have a few firearms (say fewer than a dozen), the Mrs will notice right-off if you buy another one.

But... if you own 20 or more, she'll never notice the occasional new addition (unless she's actually counting).

So, the solution is the more guns you buy, the less likely she'll notice any new acquisitions. [wink]

There's a method to the madness.

If you only have a few firearms (say fewer than a dozen), the Mrs will notice right-off if you buy another one.

But... if you own 20 or more, she'll never notice the occasional new addition (unless she's actually counting).

So, the solution is the more guns you buy, the less likely she'll notice any new acquisitions. [wink]

That's how i've been getting away with it. But, when I had to buy another safe, well-that's a story for another time.....

Bonz....

My problem is that I can only fit one more rifle in my gun cabinets. When I do that I can get no more until I get a new cabinet to put them in. I don't know how I can do that with out the Mrs finding out !

When you do need another cabinet let me know. I was pricing steel doors today and will be buidling my vault soon. I'll have about 4 cabinets to get rid of at around $70 each already built.

When you do need another cabinet let me know. I was pricing steel doors today and will be buidling my vault soon. I'll have about 4 cabinets to get rid of at around $70 each already built.

Keep me in mind when you start selling. I'm going to need another cabinet soon. As in about a month ago. [grin]

Gary

Ok, so thats 4. Looks like all of them are spoken for pending future sales. I didn't even have to list them in the classifieds. [smile]
It won't be untill the vault is finished, or at least has the door hung, but I'll PM you 4 with info and pics if needed once I clean them out.

I started my collecting 4 years ago with percussion lock & flintlocks, but because of $$$ & availability I recently started looking into Milsurps & think I'll stick with them. They're more readily available, easier to find, easier to find parts for & well for one, I can actually shoot them, unlike the old percussions & flintlocks I have. For the price I pay for one percussion long arm, I can buy 5-10 Milsurps. :)

I like the fact that I can find guns from $100 to $200 range & hopefully 20 years, or 30 years from now these milsurps may be worth much more :)

I can relate to the buying binges very much.. In last couple of days I bought a M39 from WGA, a GEW88 off AuctionArms & a 2nd Gew88 off GunBroker.

I have to stop though til I get more $$$..

I still want so many different ones.

I'd like to get;

Russian M91
GEW 71/84
Schmidt-Rubin Model 1889 straight-pull
Mauser Model 1871
Portugese Kropatschek 1886
Vetterli-Vitali Model 1870/87
Mannlicher-Carcano Model 1891
Swedish Mauser Model 1896
Chilean Mauser Model 1895

Cabinets almost ready

Well, my steel door is being installed today.[smile] I'll be busy all Sunday and should be finished by the end of Memorial Day weekend.
Those of you who wanted cabinets get first dibs as mentioned. I'll have them all lined up in my hallway downstairs for pick up here at my place in New Bedford.
A few of the cabinets have minor damage, a few dings and dents here and there that I smoothed out. Its amazing that the companies can't pack and ship these without them getting banged up.
One of them has a light installed that I will throw in for free, one has a heavy duty hasp riveted to it for extra security.
None have the upper shelves installed because long rifles won't fit with them in place but I have them in case anyone wants them.
I may also be selling a larger one thats equipped for scoped rifles to make it 5 total, and possible a small Stack On pistol safe. If my Father doesn't need those 2, out for sale they go.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom