Told My - MA Non-Resident LTC was not an acceptable form of ID

I went through this with Bank of America. They do write the credit card number down and will charge the amount to the card if they later determine the account the check is drawn on has insufficient funds. This obviously defeats the whole point of cashing the check and they were very deceptive in continuously asking me for second "identification, like a credit card".

The solution is to show them a passport--it's the only thing that shuts them up.

So they're not imaginative enough to think that the guy writing rubber checks might also have maxed out his credit cards? [laugh]

So they're not imaginative enough to think that the guy writing rubber checks might also have maxed out his credit cards? [laugh]

Not applicable. I'm talking about checks written to me by someone else using a BOA account. The first thing they ask is if you have a BOA account, which if you have one they then tie up the funds in your account for a period of time. If you don't have an account with them then they ask for a credit card so if the funds dry up or the check is forged the have recourse to get their money back.

OK you guys I'm not at ALL surprised places won't take the MA LTC as ID. I'm surprised we've gotten to four pages of "they don't like guns" and "they don't know what it is". Have you compared the MA driver's license to the LTC? I don't know about you but I don't have a microscopic hologram printer like they use for the driver's license. My $100 printer is more than capable of printing the plain black text (and color photo) on the thin piece of plastic that's called an LTC. You just get a printer that's capable of photo printing and it can handle the ink used to print on plastic.

Anyone can make a fake LTC with a fake birthday and/or picture. Yeah it's a crime but so are the fake driver's licenses that 20 year olds use now. Laws don't stop them. LTCs are just MUCH easier to print off at home than driver's licenses.

...the rmv will accept any ma firearms license or fid as an id...

Correct...http://www.mass.gov/rmv/license/AcceptableId.pdf

One thing worth noting, your LTC is worthless in a liquor store, at least in MA. MGL doesn't indemnify the store owner if they accept other forms of ID other than the ones set out in MGL for alcohol purchase. An LTC is not one of them.

The clerk wasn't trying to be a jerk, it's more or less the law in MA.

-Mike

Yup, pursuant to M.G.L. c.138 s.34B...

What forms of identification are acceptable to prove that someone is twenty one years of age or older, so that person may be served, delivered, or allowed to possess or purchase alcoholic beverages?

If a licensee is charged with permitting the service, delivery, or possession of alcoholic beverages by a person under 21 years of age, under current state law, a licensee has a defense only if the licensee can affirmatively prove that prior to permitting the service, delivery or possession of alcoholic beverages by a person, the licensee requested, was shown, examined and reasonably relied on either:

1. A valid Massachusetts driver license,
2. A valid Massachusetts Liquor Identification card,
3. A valid Passport issued by the United States government, or by the government, recognized by the United States government, of a foreign country,
4. A valid United States issued active duty Military Identification Card.

Reliance by a licensee on any other form of identification to determine proof of age does not give the licensee a defense.

http://www.mass.gov/abcc/faqs.htm#j2

I was at a BoA before. I had lost my wallet and needed to get cash to to get a new license. This guy in front of me goes to cash his paycheck even though he does not have accounts with the bank. When its my turn, I tell them my sad story and offer up my direct deposit pay stubs of proof of my account. They decline me, and I ask why did you cash that guys check without ID. Their response "We know him, he comes here all the time." I was not pleased. Happy ending. Some guy found my wallet and googled my address and called my parents. He gave it back. And I quit BoA after that.

Sounds like policy or something.

-Mike

This. Financial institutions develop very specific transaction requirements regarding all kinds of situations. The teller was probably just following what they determined was viable for that scenario. It's the same at my work but nothing is written in stone as long as it's not required by law.

I went through this with Bank of America. They do write the credit card number down and will charge the amount to the card if they later determine the account the check is drawn on has insufficient funds.
Unless this is a BOA credit card with contractual right of offset, use of a credit card to guarantee a check is a direct violation of the credit card agreement as it is seen as an attempt to use the credit card's service without payment of the fee. I've seen merchants that stamp a contract on the back of a check authorizing a credit card charge of the check bounces, but this does not negate the merchant's contractual agreement with the credit card company.

The bank has some some dumb-ass policies.

A MA resident LTC was sufficient to get me on airplane in Chicago for me a couple years ago. The TSA guy didn't even blink.

I wouldn't attribute "anti gun" that quickly, it's entirely possible she didn't know what a NR MA LTC was supposed to look like, so she had no way of verifying it's veracity. If I gave you an official ID from... I dunno... Brazil, would you take it as genuine, or ask for something else that looked familiar? I don't know what I'd do.

And yet, in Chicago....the TSA wouldn't let me on the plane when I showed them my TSA-ISSUED TWIC as my photo ID.

Unless this is a BOA credit card with contractual right of offset, use of a credit card to guarantee a check is a direct violation of the credit card agreement as it is seen as an attempt to use the credit card's service without payment of the fee. I've seen merchants that stamp a contract on the back of a check authorizing a credit card charge of the check bounces, but this does not negate the merchant's contractual agreement with the credit card company.

They DON'T ask for a credit card to to guarantee the check, they ask for two forms of identification, "a photo id and one other, like a credit card". [wink]

I was willing to show them my credit card if they didn't write down the numbers but the manager told me they do record the numbers and expiration. Then when pressed she did confirm they will charge the amount back if the check is later determined to be unpayable. It's a game they play. It was pissing me off because they kept trying to float the money on my credit for weeks instead of "pay on demand".

Use your passport and they don't even ask for a second id.

Last edited:
They DON'T ask for a credit card to to guarantee the check

Then when pressed she did confirm they will charge the amount back if the check is later determined to be unpayable.

If they are collecting the card # to with the intent of charging it if the check bounces, they are attempting to use it to guarantee the check.

The reason for a 'second form of ID' is to get you to produce a credit card.

A credit card is then available for them to charge back if your check is no good, etc.

You screwed up their plans by having a valid second form of picture ID that didn't give them the 'charge back' option.

What if you had a driver's license that expired 20 years ago, with a format so old the clerk didn't recognize it, and a picture so out of date they couldn't tell it was you?

I was referring to a somewhat recently expired DL for the purchase of alcohol.
But, for the sake of arguement, let's say I did produce my first DL with a photo taken when I was 17.
That would have expired when I was 22, so add 20 years and I'm now 42.
How many people still look to be under 21 by the time they reach 42?
This is not the planet Ork, we don't age backwards.

A few years ago I just got off the plane from overseas (military) and me and my buddy, who picked me up stopped at a store for some (well deserved) beer. My Ma drivers license expired while serving overseas ( legally the license is valid because I was in the military overseas). The Guy at the counter would not except it with the expired date. So I went to give him my military ID and he would't even look at it. So I just slid the beer over to my buddy and said here you buy it. Boy was I pissed and let him know it. I think got him better by letting my buddy buy it rather than walk out. Some people are just to dense.

I said: "Its an Official State ID."......"That - isn't an acceptable ID?".

She Said: "No, but like I said, I will take it this time".

If it truly was not an acceptable form of ID, she wouldn't have accepted it, yes?

Reeks like an anti-gunner to me.
Not possible. The bank is in New Hampshire.

Last time I checked, bank tellers were a step or two above fast food restaurant employees in the attitude/education/judgement continuum.

There's a liquor store near me that requires a second "ID" for anyone whose license says they're under a certain age. They accept credit cards, as I think they're mostly looking for something else with your name on it (ie...fake license is the only thing that says "Bob Smith" on it, the rest of your wallet says "Jim O'Connor"). It's a moot point if you jack someones wallet, but it's still a decent CYA move.

And another thing. When you hand me an Credit Card that has your picture on it, but NO signature, don't act all surprised and pissy when I DO ask for ID. Because if you read the back of the CC it says, "NOT VALID WITH OUT SIGNATURE". So technically I should refuse that card.

Ok, done venting.

There's a liquor store near me that requires a second "ID" for anyone whose license says they're under a certain age. They accept credit cards, as I think they're mostly looking for something else with your name on it (ie...fake license is the only thing that says "Bob Smith" on it, the rest of your wallet says "Jim O'Connor"). It's a moot point if you jack someones wallet, but it's still a decent CYA move.

Yeah, I work in MA some times and have a CT DL. When I go to buy Liquor they have a sign that says "Out of State ID's Require Second Proof of Identification" I think its just to prevent fake out of state IDs for the locals. Yet I have never been asked for any second documentation.

I agree its a Moot point for a stolen wallet but i think its to curb the out of state Fakes....

4306077305_1a6b226934.jpg

Yeah, I work in MA some times and have a CT DL. When I go to buy Liquor they have a sign that says "Out of State ID's Require Second Proof of Identification" I think its just to prevent fake out of state IDs for the locals. Yet I have never been asked for any second documentation.

I agree its a Moot point for a stolen wallet but i think its to curb the out of state Fakes....

4306077305_1a6b226934.jpg

I got turned down in NJ for this reason. Glad they kept me safe from evil beer. If I didn't have a MA LTC ID (didn't have it at the time) I wouldn't have a second form of official picture ID. I am not in the habit of carrying my passport 24/7. They wouldn't accept my school ID.

I recently had to have two picture ID's for my mortgage broker's license. I used my DL and my MA LTC. They accepted it with no questions.

"State ID", or "State Issued ID":

Wouldn't a MA LTC, or MA Non-RES LTC, be considered a "State" ID?

It is issued by the "Commonwealth of Massachusetts", (That's what is printed, in Bold, right across the top of the ID)

Last edited:
Right. Because it is SOOOO much easier to get a MA LTC than a driver's license

Actually, it could because is it SOOOO much easier to forge a MA LTC that an MA driver's license - and that's before you factor in the fact that tellers are already very familiar with what drivers licenses look like, and less so with LTCs. The driver's license has a hologram, two photos of difference sized, a fine printed pattern that covers both the photos and the drivers license; and a logo/emblem a bit more elaborate than a small blurry state seal on a white background. Anyone with an ID Printer, a PC and criminal intent can forge a pretty decent replica of an LTC, but a driver's license poses a considerably different challenge.

Actually, it could because is it SOOOO much easier to forge a MA LTC that an MA driver's license - and that's before you factor in the fact that tellers are already very familiar with what drivers licenses look like, and less so with LTCs. The driver's license has a hologram, two photos of difference sized, a fine printed pattern that covers both the photos and the drivers license; and a logo/emblem a bit more elaborate than a small blurry state seal on a white background. Anyone with an ID Printer, a PC and criminal intent can forge a pretty decent replica of an LTC, but a driver's license poses a considerably different challenge.

Good Point.

The require a Chinese restaurant menu pick (one from each of three lists, can only use each item for one list),

[laugh]

I was referring to a somewhat recently expired DL for the purchase of alcohol.
But, for the sake of arguement, let's say I did produce my first DL with a photo taken when I was 17.
That would have expired when I was 22, so add 20 years and I'm now 42.
How many people still look to be under 21 by the time they reach 42?
This is not the planet Ork, we don't age backwards.

The question I was getting at is how easy is it for them to match your identity to the license? Your age is irrelevant if your face doesn't resemble the picture enough to determine that it's you handing them the ID. Not everyone looks their age, and since the legal age to buy is based on an arbitrary number, everything else falls to the side.

Maybe CYA for the store owner's peace of mind, but it's not legal CYA for them.

BTW if you travel regularly to Canada, you can get a Passport Card. Much more convenient than the paper passport, and easier to secure.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry and is more convenient and less expensive than a passport book. The passport card cannot be used for international travel by air.

Back
Top Bottom