Told My - MA Non-Resident LTC was not an acceptable form of ID

NHCraigT

NES Member
I was at the Sovereign Bank, on Northeastern Blvd, in Nashua, NH today, about 4:00 pm.
I had a check, made out to me, that I was cashing.

Since I do not have any accounts there, the teller asked me for a "second" form of ID (The first one was my NH driver's license).

I gave her my MA Non-Resident License to Carry.

She said: "This is not an acceptable form of ID, but I'll accept it this time".

(???huh???)

I said: "Its an Official State ID......That - isn't an acceptable ID?".

She Said: "No, but like I said, I will take it this time".

I asked: "What is an acceptable form of ID?"

She said: "A credit card".

I left it at that. I just wanted to cash my check and move on out to finish up a lot of errands.

My thoughts - A MA Non-Resident LTC is:

An official, Legal, State Isssued ID, with Photo, Full Name, Address, Date of Birth, Height, Weight, Hair color, eye color, place of birth, and signature - (that I have to supply fingerprints for) - And it is not an acceptable ID....?????????????

But a "credit card", with only a signature.....is?????????

Comments?

Any thought?

Last edited:
I said: "Its an Official State ID."......"That - isn't an acceptable ID?".

If it truly was not an acceptable form of ID, she wouldn't have accepted it, yes?

Reeks like an anti-gunner to me.

That was my thought. Possibly her way of a "protest".

Any other comments?

This whole deal of what's acceptable and what isn't is full of FAIL.

A credit card is OK, while a LTC isn't?
Anybody can apply for a credit card under a fake name, with no photo, and with no .gov cross checking or verification at all, but that's OK.
Here's one that really pisses me off, in NH if you show an expired DL for proof of age to purchase alcohol, they won't accept it. WTF ?????
Wouldn't it stand to reason that if you were over 21 when the ID was issued that you'd still be over 21 when the ID expires?

[banghead]

Maybe there is a list of acceptable forms of ID and this was not on it. Then maybe she did you a favor by taking it, possibly putting her own job at risk. She then told you that she would do it this one time so that you do not come back and complain at another teller for not taking it.

For example
You- "Why wont you take this as an ID, let me speak to your manager"
Manager-"Hi, I am the manager" "
You- "Debbie wont let me use this as an ID, and I was here just yesterday and Linda was very accomodating and acepted it right away"
Manager- "Well I am very sorry, Linda made a mistake and I will adviser her of the coporate Policy"

Sadly Linda was fired shortly there after

Just another Point of View, I only suggest this because I have been in a few work situation where I either did someone a favor and it bit me in the ass. Or I did someone a favor and they did not even realize I did them a favor, thought i was just jerking them around and then probably complained about me to their friends after they left.

in NH if you show an expired DL for proof of age to purchase alcohol, they won't accept it. WTF ?????
Wouldn't it stand to reason that if you were over 21 when the ID was issued that you'd still be over 21 when the ID expires?

why would you carry an expired license?

about the gun ID:

I said: "Its an Official State ID."......"That - isn't an acceptable ID?".

If it truly was not an acceptable form of ID, she wouldn't have accepted it, yes?

Reeks like an anti-gunner to me.

agree.

if they couldnt take it, she wouldnt risk her job. Unless she is really stupid, or thinks you are hot. lol. go get her number, see which one it is.

Earlier this year I had left my drivers license in my cycling bag the night before and didn't have it at the liquor store while on the way home from work. I offered my LTC as identification and the clerk read it then dropped it like it was some evil hot potato. Then informed me that he could not accept my ID. It even has my thumb print and date of birth! He muttered something about gun nuts as I left, beerless and confused. I still refuse to go back to that store.

Earlier this year I had left my drivers license in my cycling bag the night before and didn't have it at the liquor store while on the way home from work. I offered my LTC as identification and the clerk read it then dropped it like it was some evil hot potato. Then informed me that he could not accept my ID. It even has my thumb print and date of birth! He muttered something about gun nuts as I left, beerless and confused. I still refuse to go back to that store.
How are we going to know which liquor store to avoid if you don't tell us which one it was ?

When I was just out of high school I worked at a bank as a teller. We were told that only a few things were acceptable as I.D. like the girl told the OP today. So one day an older lady comes in and wants me to cash her check and when I ask her for I.D. she gives me her LTC and I told her that I couldn't accept it as I.D. She said to me "If you only knew how hard it was to get one of those you'd realize that it's a real I.D." I ended up taking it and double checking the signature card we had on file. Now this was a very long time ago and I certainly wasn't anti-gun, but was just doing what I was told to do.

Maybe there is a list of acceptable forms of ID and this was not on it....

I thought of that too.

I don't consider myself infalible, and I realize that there could be some other factors. Thus, I did not push the issue at the bank. That is why I only made the 1 statement to the teller, ragarding the "Official State ID, and then asked her - What was acceptable?".

It is entirely possible - that she was going off of an offical "Bank List of Approved and Acceptable ID's".

....However, there is also "common sense". I do realize that there are a lot of people that live, and work in the "black and white" mentality = What I mean is; the concept that "things" are either "this"...or "that"....if they are not, then its "not acceptable" - and they don't know how to think with common sense & practicality.....

Thanks for the comments. I made the OP, in order to get some opinions and thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
i have been in businesses that wont accept a resident ltc as an id. it doesnt matter whether it is a primary id or a secondary one. i know that this next statement is going to be hard to believe, but the rmv will accept any ma firearms license or fid as an id. its in their drivers license manual.

Last edited:
I tried to buy liquor with my pistol permit after losing my drivers license but the cashier said "sorry i need a drivers license". It's amazing I can buy a deadly weapon with the permit but i can't get a bottle of Red Stag...

One thing worth noting, your LTC is worthless in a liquor store, at least in MA. MGL doesn't indemnify the store owner if they accept other forms of ID other than the ones set out in MGL for alcohol purchase. An LTC is not one of them.

The clerk wasn't trying to be a jerk, it's more or less the law in MA.

-Mike

One of the reasons for limiting the list of acceptable forms of ID is so that the tellers / liquor store clerks will be able to recognize the ID as matching the other examples they've seen.

I could print a facsimile of a non-existent college's ID, if the only qualification was that it contained a picture of me and a reasonable imitation of the account holder's signature.

Most places in MA won't accept a LTC either.

There seems to be lists of "acceptable IDs" and I'd guess that gun permits don't appear on many of them.

I recall walking by a young lady trying to deal with a brain-dead clerk in the old Jordan Marsh in South Shore Plaza. She was trying to use an American Express Travelers Check and her Passport as ID. The clerk told her that a Passport was "no good as an ID"!!

Don't expect common sense to be used in gov't or retail.

Any thought?

The bank has some some dumb-ass policies.

A MA resident LTC was sufficient to get me on airplane in Chicago for me a couple years ago. The TSA guy didn't even blink.

I wouldn't attribute "anti gun" that quickly, it's entirely possible she didn't know what a NR MA LTC was supposed to look like, so she had no way of verifying it's veracity. If I gave you an official ID from... I dunno... Brazil, would you take it as genuine, or ask for something else that looked familiar? I don't know what I'd do.

It sounds like the Bank is going for the easy insurance.

You give them your DL info. They have your name and address.

They want a credit card for ID. Now they have a credit card account number.

They flip it over to see the signature. Now they have the 3 digit security code on the back.

They have everything needed to charge your account if the check turns out to be bad.

Just sayin'

It sounds like the Bank is going for the easy insurance.

You give them your DL info. They have your name and address.

They want a credit card for ID. Now they have a credit card account number.

They flip it over to see the signature. Now they have the 3 digit security code on the back.

They have everything needed to charge your account if the check turns out to be bad.

Just sayin'

Sounds plausible, but that would never happen. They only use it for I.D.

When purchasing alcohol (at least in CT) The only accepted forms of ID are:

State drivers license
State Issued ID Card
Passport
Green card
Military ID

So I don't think its an ANTI looking to bust your balls or a conspiracy against you/us.

I work in retail and gladly accept LTCs when given them instead of a drivers license I mean its got a picture. But if my boss gave me a list of IDs and it was not on it I would not risking my job. (or in the case of alcohol, the business owners liquor license)

Sounds plausible, but that would never happen. They only use it for I.D.

Well, at least the OP didn't walk into Bank of America. They want all the approved Ids and a thumb print on the back of the check.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't sit right with me. Mass DPS, the FBI and my local PD have my prints, a bank..., not deserving enough in my book.

I tried to buy liquor with my pistol permit after losing my drivers license but the cashier said "sorry i need a drivers license". It's amazing I can buy a deadly weapon with the permit but i can't get a bottle of Red Stag...

I used mine once in a liquor store, the clerk said "I don't know if I can accept this" and called the manager over. The manager looked at it and said to her "if he has a gun, give him anything he wants" then walked away.

[laugh]

When purchasing alcohol (at least in CT) The only accepted forms of ID are:

State drivers license
State Issued ID Card
Passport
Green card
Military ID

So I don't think its an ANTI looking to bust your balls or a conspiracy against you/us.

I work in retail and gladly accept LTCs when given them instead of a drivers license I mean its got a picture. But if my boss gave me a list of IDs and it was not on it I would not risking my job. (or in the case of alcohol, the business owners liquor license)

MA also has a list of acceptable ID's for alcohol/bars. LTCS are not on it. Nor are Texas Pistol Permits, College ID's, Police Officer ID's, or the countless other IDs people try to use on a daily basis to get into bars. If I was checking IDs and someone gave me an LTC, I would think it was them trying to be a tough guy showoff. Give me a passport/Drivers License like everyone else. I'm not impressed that you have an LTC etc.

This is nothing.

A packie in Warwick, Rhode Island wouldn't take my military ID back when I was stationed in Newport until the guy behind me chimed in and said to the girl, "Miss, that's a federal ID ... it's better than a driver's license."

Still can't figure out why she believed him and not me.

I couldn't find my license a while back, so I went to the liquor store anyways with an expired license and expired passport. They wouldn't accept them. Nor would they accept my pistol permit. Sure it's policy, but it makes no sense to me.

A couple years ago in Mass. I cashed a check at a bank I didn't have an account at and they wanted a second form of ID. I handed over my LTC, and the female clerk said "Oh, an FID Card." I didn't correct her, but she didn't seem to be a stranger to guns. I've used LTC's as secondary ID at banks other times as well without hassle.

Here's one that really pisses me off, in NH if you show an expired DL for proof of age to purchase alcohol, they won't accept it. WTF ?????

What if you had a driver's license that expired 20 years ago, with a format so old the clerk didn't recognize it, and a picture so out of date they couldn't tell it was you?

Think that's bad? A Mass. License to Possess a Machine Gun allows you to possess a machine gun, but you can't buy or possess ammo, high cap mags or even pepper spray with one.

Well, at least the OP didn't walk into Bank of America. They want all the approved Ids and a thumb print on the back of the check.

I'm sorry, but that just doesn't sit right with me. Mass DPS, the FBI and my local PD have my prints, a bank..., not deserving enough in my book.

Many banks already have the ability to run their employees prints.

http://www.aba.com/products/fingerprinting.htm

They can get driver's license, registration and other info too.

I went through this with Bank of America. They do write the credit card number down and will charge the amount to the card if they later determine the account the check is drawn on has insufficient funds. This obviously defeats the whole point of cashing the check and they were very deceptive in continuously asking me for second "identification, like a credit card".

The solution is to show them a passport--it's the only thing that shuts them up. At one point BOA was continuously delaying my business checks by holding the funds for two weeks so I started cashing the larger checks for cash with my passport and walking the funds over to citizens. It really made the tellers nervous. [laugh]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom