• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

tnw areo survival rifle opinion ?

What makes it a Survival Rifle and not just a PCC? On their site I was hoping to see "rust proof" or a Kalashnikov-like demonstration of it being pulled out of the mud and operating flawlessly.

It's more expensive and more than a pound heavier than a Sub2000. BUT, I love that they sell an 80% kit for about half price[thumbsup]

Last edited:
People can add “survival” or “tactical” to a roll of toilet paper and there’ll be a bunch of people that jump on it.

Just reading reviews from their own website I’d stay away. Barrel nut screw keeps coming loose, multiple failures, stove pipes, and one guy that has been having issues and a month later still hasn’t heard back from customer service.

Doesn’t sound very promising. IMHO the best “survival” rifle is the one your trust the most personally in your collection and are familiar with inside and out. Keep it clean and oiled and talk to it often.

Last edited:
I think if you're looking for good reviews you'll find them and if you're looking for bad ones you'll find more. Happy customer tells 3 people, pissed off customer tells 10. If you look hard enough you can find enough bad reviews on a Glock 19 to make you stay away. I've wanted to get one of these in 10mm for a while, then they came out with the pistol but at that point I will just stick with a G20. Its still on my list of "I want it" right next to the SU16C. "Survival"? No, "Defense"? No. Not at least I put 1000 rounds through it and it proves itself reliable enough. Just a cool range toy until it proves otherwise. If you question reliability, call customer service and get clarification on the issues you have seen. Are they friendly and receptive to your inquiry? Are they knowledgeable? Even the P320 had severe issues when it came out, now look where it is. Please follow up with pm if you do get it. Good luck

I have one with 9mm and .40 barrels and bolt faces.
The barrel nut is held tight by a set screw on top of the receiver--never had a problem with it. With the barrel removed and the stock collapsed it will fit in a back pack. I've never had a problem with it's reliability. I don't use/see it as a "survival" gun, but as a range toy. Much more robust than a Sub2000, but heavier and more costly.

People can add “survival” or “tactical” to a roll of toilet paper and there’ll be a bunch of people that jump on it.

Just reading reviews from their own website I’d stay away. Barrel nut screw keeps coming loose, multiple failures, stove pipes, and one guy that has been having issues and a month later still hasn’t heard back from customer service.

Doesn’t sound very promising. IMHO the best “survival” rifle is the one your trust the most personally in your collection and are familiar with inside and out. Keep it clean and oiled and talk to it often.
I'm bored so ill continue:
Barrel nut comes loose - maybe some locktite or proper torquing? I had the same issue on my AR castle nut but i though channellocks were good enough to tighten it. No locktite, didnt stake it.
Multiple failures? what kind of failures? ammo? feeding? what mags are being used? brand new oem, surplus with worn springs, korean big sticks? Magazines cause about 90% of all feeding issues. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning and lube? .40 and 10mm rounds may not feed as easy as 9mm because of their shape. Take 10 seconds with a dremel and polishing compound to the ramp to give it a fighting chance.
Hasn't heard back from customer service- did he send one email and nothing else or has he made multiple phone calls and emails? not saying anyone is right or wrong but there's always two sides and people tend to exaggerate when they're mad.

I think the "survival" part was the design of the takedown barrel, making it a bit more compact for carry in a bag. However, you have to keep in mind that when this thing came out, the only real competition for backpack ready, non-NFA PCC's was the Keltec Sub2000 and the much more expensive MPX (and there the folding stock is no-go in some states). There are dozens of options these days, so calling this "survival" is now a bit of a stretch. Not to mention any AR pattern PCC is inherently takedown as well when you separate the upper and lower halves.

My main gripe with this design is that it is very AR-like, but doesn't have LRBHO.

I'm bored so ill continue:
Barrel nut comes loose - maybe some locktite or proper torquing? I had the same issue on my AR castle nut but i though channellocks were good enough to tighten it. No locktite, didnt stake it.
Multiple failures? what kind of failures? ammo? feeding? what mags are being used? brand new oem, surplus with worn springs, korean big sticks? Magazines cause about 90% of all feeding issues. Maybe it just needs a good cleaning and lube? .40 and 10mm rounds may not feed as easy as 9mm because of their shape. Take 10 seconds with a dremel and polishing compound to the ramp to give it a fighting chance.
Hasn't heard back from customer service- did he send one email and nothing else or has he made multiple phone calls and emails? not saying anyone is right or wrong but there's always two sides and people tend to exaggerate when they're mad.

Don’t know what to tell you, I lost interest in it 5 mins after posting what I read on their website.

Back
Top Bottom