Thoughts on military ammo cans?

/As for ammo, anything larger than a .50cal can with loose ammo in it becomes difficult to move and carry, boxed ammo is ok because you can only fit about 1/3 the amount. A 50cal can loaded with loose loaded.45acp ammo weighs around 70lbs and 9mm isn't much lighter./
This. I love my .50 cal cans...

Great cans. Great price too. I picked up a few, should have grabbed more. Tools, screws and nail carrier. Tons of uses not just ammo. Get them while they last!!!

Good luck on the ammo cans.. I ordered a few but I doubt they'll come in. I've had some bad luck dealing with The Sportman's Guide. They 'back order" the stuff cause they don't have it in stock. Then when they have enough confirmed orders they order the stuff. The us government doesn't sell ammo cans directly to the public any more, They have contracted the sales of most Gov stufff out to a contractors and people bid on lots of cans,,, check out http://www.govliquidation.com/ and type in ammo cans in the search block. If Sportmans guide doesn't win the bid ,,,no cans for us!!
I also hear that ammo cans are going to be more scare in the future because of a few changes... 1) Ammo used for Military training in the USA will be packaged in cardboard boxes, not cans ( a cost saving for the Gov...cardboard boxes are cheapier than metal cans and card board is easier to dispose of. 2) Used ammo cans are being seperated from their covers in the DMRO centers. This way people wanting complete ammo cans will have have to bid/win on two lots...one bid/win for cans themselvesf and another bid/win for the can lids that go for the cans! More bids equal more profit!! There are a lot more people and companies going after ammo cans ...the demand is up, the quantity available going down and the price going up! I hope they can honor the deal...but I'll be surprise if they do. Good Luck all!!

If anyone is looking for some ammo cans, I did see some Ammo cans for sale at Collectors Arms and Ammo in Merrimack NH this weekend.
I bought a few and there is still quite a few left... Good Hunting all!

I'm open to correction on this, but I recall being told that military ammo cans were designed to blow out the gaskets if the pressure increases too high inside the can.

Is this not true?

That may be true, but I still don't want my primers inside a metal container. It will get very hot in a fire and could cause all the primers contained to explode, and now your ammo can is shrapnel.

SAAMI recommends storing primers in a 1" thick wooden box or cabinet. Primers will not absorb moisture even in a humid environment. Some desiccants packs is all you need.

Primer storage:

In Zip-Loc bags with dessicant packs. Buried in sandy soil on a hill.

-tapatalk and Devin McCourty blow chunks-

I'm open to correction on this, but I recall being told that military ammo cans were designed to blow out the gaskets if the pressure increases too high inside the can.

Is this not true?

I'd heard that too.

But a more interesting part of this is that unlike powder, primers don't burn faster under higher pressure.

Restrained gunpowder turns into a bomb, restrained primers don't.

Back
Top Bottom