Thoughts on military ammo cans?

So I was checking Craigslist and found 40 mm ammo cans for sale in Malden, MA. They are reported as excellent and of course they are waterproof. What are the collective thoughts on their use? Would they be good for Primers, loaded ammo, etc? They have the removable top and would appear to be "Not to Heavy" once loaded up with stuff? Should I pounce on these and what are your general thoughts on the utility of Ammo Cans? I hope this is the right forum to post this.

I have been looking around for 40mm cans for a while, jump on them! Even if you re-sell them ,they're worth it, imho.

In for at least one [laugh]

I use them and they are great. More then anything I just use them for ammo as they are ammo cans lol.
Depending on the price its a good investment, they last!

They are "ammo" cans, so yes, they're good for ammo.

You don't want to carry a full one though, they get heavy.

I have a couple, and I use them for "long term storage" using smaller ammo cans for transport and daily use.

I have a bunch in different sizes that I picked up over the years. I love them, they are durable, waterproof and easy to stack and store. I use the big ones to store my main ammo supplies and rotate out of those for what I am taking to the range and what not. I also use the smallers ones for some not as common rounds. I modified one so I can lock it with a padlock as well in case I need to transport a lot of ammo somewhere. Long term storage would be great in them, fill em up, throw in some o2 absorbers and some moisture absorbing packets and you're good to go for like....ever.

First, Do not put primers in an ammo can, it becomes a bomb. No not by legal standards but by common sense standards.[/B]
As for ammo, anything larger than a .50cal can with loose ammo in it becomes difficult to move and carry, boxed ammo is ok because you can only fit about 1/3 the amount.
A 50cal can loaded with loose loaded.45acp ammo weighs around 70lbs and 9mm isn't much lighter.

A 50cal can full of just 230gr fmj bullets will ruin your back if you move it incorrectly.......I know, I've done it.

They are great for storing about anything that you want to keep out of the elements and as posted above, you cannot have and will likely never have enough of them. I loaded a van completely full of them from a place in Ohio once and thought that ought to last me for life. That was not the case and I needed more within a very short period of time.

If they're priced right, buy them, just beware of their weight once you fill them up.

They make great first aid kits, great for storing knives, camping cooking utensils, binoculars, VHF/UHF ham radios or a CB, tool box, reloading tools, as a portable or temporary gun locker if its secured down to something and can't be carted off easily, torch tips, welding wire spools(the small ones) fitting and hardware assortments, ect. ect.

First, Do not put primers in an ammo can, it becomes a bomb. No not by legal standards but by common sense standards.[/B]
As for ammo, anything larger than a .50cal can with loose ammo in it becomes difficult to move and carry, boxed ammo is ok because you can only fit about 1/3 the amount.
A 50cal can loaded with loose loaded.45acp ammo weighs around 70lbs and 9mm isn't much lighter.

A 50cal can full of just 230gr fmj bullets will ruin your back if you move it incorrectly.......I know, I've done it.

They are great for storing about anything that you want to keep out of the elements and as posted above, you cannot have and will likely never have enough of them. I loaded a van completely full of them from a place in Ohio once and thought that ought to last me for life. That was not the case and I needed more within a very short period of time.

If they're priced right, buy them, just beware of their weight once you fill them up.

They make great first aid kits, great for storing knives, camping cooking utensils, binoculars, VHF/UHF ham radios or a CB, tool box, reloading tools, as a portable or temporary gun locker if its secured down to something and can't be carted off easily, torch tips, welding wire spools(the small ones) fitting and hardware assortments, ect. ect.

This pretty much sums it all up for the OP! Good answer. +1

They are "ammo" cans, so yes, they're good for ammo.

You don't want to carry a full one though, they get heavy.

I have a couple, and I use them for "long term storage" using smaller ammo cans for transport and daily use.

^^^
This.

They definitely get heavy when filled up. I have a few that I use for long term storage as well. They are rock solid, I love them.

What's the difference in size between a 40 and 50 cal can?

I love them, find a better container for moving ammo around. Weight issue is true though, I use 30cals for 45fmj.

They also work as Faraday cages if you're worried about that sort of thing. Wife even used them for some Vera Wang glassware when we moved, as they wouldn't get crushed.

every once in a while Sportsmans Guide will have them for like 6$ shipped with coupons if your member, stock up then.

Last edited:
Not long ago KTP had the 40mm cans for $14.95 needless to say a bought some

Yup, I bought 2 of them and put them to good use, but I should have bought a few more to actually use for ammo storage

0321122.jpg

I took the covers off of some and stacked them up on their sides, they make great shelves inside a safe.

When I was downrange, I took a 32ct 40mm can (they also come in 48ct cans), and linked two 100 round belts (two .50 cans) of .50 BMG to double my Ma Deuce turret capacity without a potential reload.

Almost 10 years ago when I was in the best shape of my life, and I still have nightmares about how heavy that can was when I had to hoist it onto the roof. When mounted, it was so heavy it made M1025 turret bearings bind up so much I often had to have my driver stop short to swing the turret to 12 o'clock.

I use 30 cal ammo cans to store my anmo.

Seems every few weeks, I need to buy more. Strange :)

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom