THOUGHT I kaboom'd an oldie...

Decided it would be a mouse gun day, so I bought out the 32acps.
First time firing the Sauer Und Sohn M1930, five rounds in the slide failed to return to battery.
I didn't have a borelight, and not enough ambient light so out comes the Beretta Tomcat for some mousegun fun.

When I got it apart (which I figured it out without having to look it up!) the M1930 had a ring visible in the chamber end of the barrel. Ran a patch from the muzzle end it it came up with a ring of brass?
I've never seen a rim separation, tho I suppose it's possible.
The ammo was Fiocchi FMJ.

Is this rim separation? It doesn't seem likely that this is jacket skiving off.

IMG_0430.JPG IMG_0431.JPG IMG_0433.JPG IMG_0434.JPG IMG_0435.JPG IMG_0436.JPG

Last edited:
Can you zoom in a little closer?

Ha ha, just kidding. I've never seen such a thing. Is maybe the jacket coming off a little each round in one spot, forming a ring? Can you look down the barrel and see if there's anything wrong with the barrel (a hump or bump)?

Looks more like brass than copper. What's the thing that looks like a rim on the left side of the brass 'ring'?

Can you zoom in a little closer?

Ha ha, just kidding. I've never seen such a thing. Is maybe the jacket coming off a little each round in one spot, forming a ring? Can you look down the barrel and see if there's anything wrong with the barrel (a hump or bump)?

I can, actually! I have several different photomicroscopy options at my office. :p

Definitely brass colored, not copper.
Checking now to see if I can get an idea about the shape of the rolled versus flat portions.

I added a few pictures of just the ring, better focused and zoomed in.
It legit looks like a case rim stuck in the chamber and separated from the case.

Whoa, I've never seen anything quite like that. You know who might be able to help? The guys over at www.reddit.com/r/reloading. While this isn't a reloading related incident, if it had something to do with ammunition they're the special kind of autistic savants that could tell you what it was.

Whoa, I've never seen anything quite like that. You know who might be able to help? The guys over at www.reddit.com/r/reloading. While this isn't a reloading related incident, if it had something to do with ammunition they're the special kind of autistic savants that could tell you what it was.

Hmmm... Autistic savants. My kinda crowd. I'll try over there.

Back
Top Bottom