• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Those with, or that have fired the P938...

I have had this gun on my short list for a couple of years now, and obviously now that it is MA compliant it is much more "available" to us MA folks without the usual "MA surcharge" for non compliant guns. Anyway, being new to the MA market, it is difficult still to see them in stock regularly at most gun shops, yet I have been seeing sometimes 4-5 per week for sale in the classifieds here, which makes me wonder WHY?[hmmm] If it is such a good gun, why are people so quickly wanting to flip them when they may have had it for a couple of months at most? The gun looks good in theory, so I have to wonder if maybe it sucks to shoot or something? Reliability reasons? Maybe it's that people think it's too much to spend on a mousegun, so they flip it for something more substantial? Personally speaking, I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around spending DOUBLE what I paid for my M&P BG for a gun roughly the same dimensionally but in 9mm (which I would prefer), but paying double for the caliber increase alone isn't worth it to me at this point. Then seeing them all for sale really makes me wonder WHY? Please discuss...

I personally haven't had any issues with mine in aprox. 300 rounds. The flush fit magazine was a nightmare for me, I couldn't shoot it. With the 7 round extended mag w/ pinky extension turned it into a dream to shoot.
IMO people might be turned off by the price tag, the concept of a SAO pocket pistol, OR have feeding issues. I'm yet to hear someone purchase one recently with feeding issues, so I'm not sure if Sig tweaked anything?
To me, it's extremely comfortable to carry IWB or pocket.
The reason you're seeing more of them pop up is because it's that time of year where more people are looking for summer carry options. Perfect time to put it in the classifieds.
If you're anywhere near me, you're welcome to try mine out

I have had this gun on my short list for a couple of years now, and obviously now that it is MA compliant it is much more "available" to us MA folks without the usual "MA surcharge" for non compliant guns. Anyway, being new to the MA market, it is difficult still to see them in stock regularly at most gun shops, yet I have been seeing sometimes 4-5 per week for sale in the classifieds here, which makes me wonder WHY?[hmmm] If it is such a good gun, why are people so quickly wanting to flip them when they may have had it for a couple of months at most? The gun looks good in theory, so I have to wonder if maybe it sucks to shoot or something? Reliability reasons? Maybe it's that people think it's too much to spend on a mousegun, so they flip it for something more substantial? Personally speaking, I'm finding it hard to wrap my head around spending DOUBLE what I paid for my M&P BG for a gun roughly the same dimensionally but in 9mm (which I would prefer), but paying double for the caliber increase alone isn't worth it to me at this point. Then seeing them all for sale really makes me wonder WHY? Please discuss...

Logical theory but it doesn't work here on NES. If your theory worked here, then you would also have to ask why so many people are selling Glocks here and if there is possibly an issue with them as well. The fact is that you will find lots of everything here . People sell here for many reasons. If it helps, I have a 938. It has never failed to feed anything so far, is more accurate than such a small handgun has a right to be and in general I find it to be a great carry/conceal handgun. You are welcomed to try mine before you decide, if you like. Remember that you usually get what you pay for. There is a good reason why your M&P BG was half the price of the 938. You'll know that as soon as your hold/fire a 938.

Last edited:
Thank you for your offers and thoughts on why they are possibly for sale so quickly. Lima85, while I would normally have thought like you about maybe they are being marketed because of the time of year, that would definitely hold true in the case of something like the p238 that has been available for years now, but in the case of the 938, it only became compliant a couple of months ago, and all of the dealers in this part of the state (western MA) that I spoke to said they were so deeply back ordered that they wouldn't expect to see them for a long time, which is why I am so confounded seeing them for sale so quickly in the secondary market.

Logical theory but it doesn't work here on NES. If your theory worked here, then you would also have to ask why so many people are selling Glocks here and if there is possibly an issue with them as well. The fact is that you will find lots of everything here . People sell here for many reasons. If it helps, I have a 938. It has never failed to feed anything so far, is more accurate than such a small handgun has a right to be and in general I find it to be a great carry/conceal handgun. You are welcomed to try mine before you decide, if you like. Remember that you usually get what you pay for. There is a good reason why your M&P BG was half the price of the 938. You'll know that as soon as your hold/fire a 938.

I thought about the Glock comparison but most Glocks have been out for a long time, and there is such a huge profit to be made on the non compliant ones that it is easy to understand people flipping them to buy something better or more expensive that they want more. I do hear you on the quality part, but having held and compared a 238 side by side with the new BG, I didn't feel like the gun had a huge quality difference to justify DOUBLE the cost. The perceived quality difference may be due to the metal construction vs. poly frame, but to me that wasn't an advantage because it added weight. In the case of the 938, the added weight is likely necessary to mitigate some of the recoil bite, but in a .380, I'm not sure it matters much, which was why I discounted that in .380-.380 comparison. I do appreciate your offer of trying it, however, I'm not sure on your location as to how feasible that would be. I do also appreciate your feedback on the accuracy as that is always an important comparison factor with any gun.

- - - Updated - - -

Mine has been great, I recommend the hogue grip model, it feels much better than the stock grips.
I won't be selling mine anytime soon

I was thinking that the Hogue, or maybe the VZ type grips would be a big factor in controlling it with such a small grip area - especially with big mitts like I have.

I love mine, I have the hogue grip model and prefer the 6rd flush mag. It is easier to shoot with the 7rd mag but I don't have a problem with the 6 at all.

I shot one the other day. Put about ten mags through it. Shot great, no cycling issues and very accurate for a small gun. Kept all shots on a 6" plate at ten yards ripping through mags pretty quickly.

The only problem I had is that it is way too small for my hands. I also had a hard time with the safety, only putting it on, off was not a problem, but this gun only has around 2-300 rounds through it, so it may need to be broken in a bit.

This one had the Hogue grips. As others have said, you can feel the quality as soon as you look at it and pick it up. It just may be at the car shoot if you want to try it. I will ask the owner if she is bringing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ok Bri... I didn't shoot it, but I did handle it.... I'll just say this.... THE TRIGGER SUCKS!!! My cucumber finger felt like it was getting pinched, I can't even explain how many lb pull it was, but it was a lot and just felt different than any other trigger. I'll take my Shield trigger feel over this one any day... especially after a little APEX massage.. heck, I'll even take the long pull of my M&P380 over it... That's about all I got for now.... go down to Guns Inc and check one out if you haven't already, they have a few in stock.

I fired a 238 and the trigger was perfect. The 938 trigger was stiff and gritty. After replacing with a polished skeleton trigger and lighter springs, it shoots well.

I fired a 238 and the trigger was perfect. The 938 trigger was stiff and gritty. After replacing with a polished skeleton trigger and lighter springs, it shoots well.

that sounds reasonable... for $750... I would have to save my pennies.. and then some for the trigger job... be an expensive gun.. but I like guns.... and that's the bottom line. I'm running out of guns to buy. This one could be on my list ... just because it's a gun and I don't have one. [grin]

You're over dramatizing/complicating something that is really simple. It comes down to 3 things, or a combination of them...

-It's still not a PM9. (It still has all this crap hanging off it, not exactly the best thing for pocket/deep carry)
-On top of that, ignoring MA BS, it's still more expensive than an entry level PM9 is.
-Some guns are rumored to have teething problems. I have no doubt there are a few sketchy guns out there with people trying to
dump them.

The P938 is another one of "these" kinds of products...

I pretty much yawned loudly when it was announced. A lot of people were like "ZOMG ANOTHER SMALL 9mm in MA! BWEAH!! but then they figured out that we already had better guns floating around in the same, or nearly the same size class. Then they got cold feet.

-Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok Bri... I didn't shoot it, but I did handle it.... I'll just say this.... THE TRIGGER SUCKS!!! My cucumber finger felt like it was getting pinched, I can't even explain how many lb pull it was, but it was a lot and just felt different than any other trigger. I'll take my Shield trigger feel over this one any day... especially after a little APEX massage.. heck, I'll even take the long pull of my M&P380 over it... That's about all I got for now.... go down to Guns Inc and check one out if you haven't already, they have a few in stock.

Thanks for the heads up Jack. I haven't tried the trigger on one yet, but have with the 238, so I guess I incorrectly assumed that they would be similar. I know "most" triggers can be improved with some work and money, kits, or whatever, but for a gun in this price category, in my mind at least, you shouldn't have to do such things unless you were using it for a race gun, or similar (which nobody would do with a mousegun anyway).

You're over dramatizing/complicating something that is really simple. It comes down to 3 things, or a combination of them...

-It's still not a PM9. (It still has all this crap hanging off it, not exactly the best thing for pocket/deep carry)
-On top of that, ignoring MA BS, it's still more expensive than an entry level PM9 is.
-Some guns are rumored to have teething problems. I have no doubt there are a few sketchy guns out there with people trying to
dump them.

The P938 is another one of "these" kinds of products...

I pretty much yawned loudly when it was announced. A lot of people were like "ZOMG ANOTHER SMALL 9mm in MA! BWEAH!! but then they figured out that we already had better guns floating around in the same, or nearly the same size class. Then they got cold feet.

-Mike

Mike, I get what you are saying in general. I haven't compared them side by side, but I believe that the slide (and possibly the frame) is thinner on the 938, despite them having a similar "footprint". I do agree with you though, that the PM9 is more suitable for pocket carry since it has no external features to snag, especially the non-MA model without the crappy, backward safety. Since I don't pocket carry, and likely never will, that is a non issue to me, even though I do like striker fired guns. The part you mentioned about "sketchy guns" is more what I was interested in hearing about because it struck me as being odd that these much anticipated (by a lot of people, myself included) were being flipped so soon after release onto the MA market.

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of like the theory of baby bear mama bear poppa bear in 1911 format.

I have a colt mustang , a commander size and a 5inch 1911. There's a gap there for something between the 380 and the commander. ( I know , my math sucks. ).

I have a colt mustang , a commander size and a 5inch 1911. There's a gap there for something between the 380 and the commander. ( I know , my math sucks. ).

That actually does make sense because the manual of arms is pretty much the same for the whole family you'll have. Extra siblings are always nice...

Don't forget a 3"1911 as well.

Bump

Ive read here that there are problems with 1911s smaller than full size. Would the p938 fall into that category since it is sort of based off the 1911?

Which variants of the P928 are actually Mass compliant? If I look at Sig's web page, most of the 10 variants are not MA compliant.

The P238 has like 5-6 MA compliant versions out of 15 or so.

This could be why they are hard to find new.

Which variants of the P928 are actually Mass compliant? If I look at Sig's web page, most of the 10 variants are not MA compliant.

The P238 has like 5-6 MA compliant versions out of 15 or so.

This could be why they are hard to find new.

I have the one with the rosewood grips. I got it in April at Four Seasons. I think there are other available, but I don't know which ones. I was a little apprehensive about the price, but any other pocket guns I tried (BG, PM9, LCP) I absolutely did not like the way they shot. I am very happy with my 938 and have no remorse about the purchase. I did buy a new trigger and spring, but haven't replaced them yet. I am also thinking about having the trigger mechanism polished.

Bump

Ive read here that there are problems with 1911s smaller than full size. Would the p938 fall into that category since it is sort of based off the 1911?

It is not the same as a 1911. I have a 938 and have had no problems with it. I will say, avoid the nightmare model. The grips on it suck. I got new grips that are the same as the blackwood (AKA the grips are wood) and the gun now feels completely different (for the better). I had no choice on model because I got the employee discount from a friend at the end of 2013. Aside from the grips, none of the models are functionally different. The SAS model has every corner rounded away but that is the only other difference.

I use my 938 in pocket carry with a cheap blackhawk pocket holster. It works pretty well. I still need to get the trigger worked on though to lower the trigger pull as it does affect my groups compared to my SR9c.

Mine has developed a hard trigger pull with what can only be described as a "double click", like the sear/spring is binding and clicking before releasing the hammer.

I don't have one I went with the M&P Bodyguard instead due to price but 4 Seasons had the 938's in stock so if your having problems finding one you should check there.

Back
Top Bottom