Those of you with Ruger Mark 3's

What aftermarket grips do you have on them? Pictures would help....
Specifically interested in those with hogue rubber grips with finger grooves as I am finding conflicting reports on their availability for the Mark 3's.

I have Volquartsen RH target grips for my MKIII Hunter, along with pretty much ever other aftermarket VQ part for it:

Found it all at www.rimfiresports.com. By far the best mod is the drop-in target sear.

6.jpg

Hogue's Mark II grips should work just fine on a Mark III (or a late-model Mark I if you use the included spacer.) Pretty much any decent gun shop should have them in stock. I got mine off the rack at Four Seasons.

Not my gun, but these are the Hogue grips on a MkII. As you can see they shouldn't interfere with the magazine release on a MkIII
RugerMkIITarget_1.jpg

Last edited:
By far the best mod is the drop-in target sear.

Very true. I put one in mine months ago and the trigger is sweeeet now.

I have some a/m plastic grips that have a thumb rest but I don't remember the name. I'll check it out later tonight. I know I bought them from Brownells.

target sear

I have Volquartsen RH target grips for my MKIII Hunter, along with pretty much ever other aftermarket VQ part for it:

Found it all at www.rimfiresports.com. By far the best mod is the drop-in target sear.

6.jpg

Saw it on that site. Can you please expalin how it works, what it does and how difficult it is to install. Thanks

Have you taken your MK III down to the last pin yet? That's another thread entirely. [wink] It's difficult if you haven't done it before. But what it does is replace the original factory sear with a slightly modified, polished one and a sear sping bent at a lesser angle, to lighten up the trigger considerably.

Have you taken your MK III down to the last pin yet? That's another thread entirely. [wink] It's difficult if you haven't done it before. But what it does is replace the original factory sear with a slightly modified, polished one and a sear sping bent at a lesser angle, to lighten up the trigger considerably.

Do they make one for the Mark I ? (wishfull thinking)

Saw it on that site. Can you please expalin how it works, what it does and how difficult it is to install. Thanks

Basically, you tear the gun down to parts, pull the old sear out, drop the new one in, and reassemble. Lots of people can't even handle breaking down a MKIII so I can't comment on difficulty as i've never found anything remotely difficult related to the gun. I refuse to call something hard if all it takes is a basic ability to follow directions closely.

Its just a nicely altered sear that drops the trigger pull, makes it very smooth and break cleanly. A guy at my club who has a nice pardini asked me how much I paid for my trigger job and was shocked that it was a drop-in part and not a pro gunsmith job....

Can someone confirm this?

Hogue's Mark II grips should work just fine on a Mark III (or a late-model Mark I if you use the included spacer.) Pretty much any decent gun shop should have them in stock. I got mine off the rack at Four Seasons.

Not my gun, but these are the Hogue grips on a MkII. As you can see they shouldn't interfere with the magazine release on a MkIII
RugerMkIITarget_1.jpg

I want to make sure that Hogue grips made for the Mark 2 will fit a Mark 3.

Thanks guys

I want to make sure that Hogue grips made for the Mark 2 will fit a Mark 3.

Thanks guys

They will. The only difference between MkII and MkIII grips is the magazine release. As you can see in the picture the Hogue grips don't cover the magazine release like the VQ grips do.

My recommendation: bring your MkIII to your preferred local shop and ask the guy behind the counter if you can try them on. It takes 4 screws and about 2 minutes to put them on.

Yes, they make sears, hammers etc for Mk I, II and III's.
The parts are excellent and the trigger will be very nice afterwards - stock trigger leaves much to be desired.

They will. The only difference between MkII and MkIII grips is the magazine release. As you can see in the picture the Hogue grips don't cover the magazine release like the VQ grips do.

My recommendation: bring your MkIII to your preferred local shop and ask the guy behind the counter if you can try them on. It takes 4 screws and about 2 minutes to put them on.

Exactly right..... My MkIII has Mk2 Hogue grips.....

P1010039.jpg

Yes, they make sears, hammers etc for Mk I, II and III's.
The parts are excellent and the trigger will be very nice afterwards - stock trigger leaves much to be desired.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but who makes a good after-market sear for the MkI?

Thanks for all the replies, suggestions and pictures. Here it is with the new Hogue grips

ruger.jpg

Can't wait to try it at the club.

Here are some nice grips I made for mine. I believe it was stablized buckeye burl, but i can't remember 100%:
3.jpg

4.jpg

And a nice big chopping knife with matching handles:
main.jpg

Wow. Really nice grips tiktock. I need to get into grip-making!

Me too. I've seen people charging OUTRAGEOUS prices for 1911 grips, especially since most of them require almost no skill to produce and can be done with minimal tools. (benchpress, hacksaw, sandpaper and buffer)

Now i can justify buying a 1911 simply to tell my wife I need to use it for fitting and making custom grips...i wonder how many sets i'd need to make to offset the cost of a new 1911...hmmm.....

Back
Top Bottom