This kind of made my blood boil

Their house, their rules....

In general, I tend to agree with this sentiment and I'm fully OK with voluntarily playing by the house rules. So long as it is voluntary.

The implied "But" is this case stems from the use of law to enforce what would be in any other case 'Discrimination'.

SAF, Comm2A and others are correctly pursuing 2A as a Civil Rights Issue. If keeping and bearing arms under 2A is truly a Right (and it is...) then private, commercial businesses cannot discriminate based on exercise of that Right. Discrimination based on race by private businesses is clearly not legal. Like with Rosa Parks, buses can't have "Black Only" sections in the back. A restaurant can't have "White Only" entrances, lunch counters or drinking fountains. It always was unconstitutional and is now recognized as not legal.

IANAL, But until someone who is can improve my understanding, it would seem that "Your House, Your Rules" in this case is quite polite but not constitutional as the rules in this 'house' attempt to discriminate against persons merely exercising their Rights.

I am not expecting the legality of signs like this to magically change of its own accord. But I feel it is important to be consistent as we work to maintain this essential civil right.

In general, I tend to agree with this sentiment and I'm fully OK with voluntarily playing by the house rules. So long as it is voluntary.

The implied "But" is this case stems from the use of law to enforce what would be in any other case 'Discrimination'.

SAF, Comm2A and others are correctly pursuing 2A as a Civil Rights Issue. If keeping and bearing arms under 2A is truly a Right (and it is...) then private, commercial businesses cannot discriminate based on exercise of that Right. Discrimination based on race by private businesses is clearly not legal. Like with Rosa Parks, buses can't have "Black Only" sections in the back. A restaurant can't have "White Only" entrances, lunch counters or drinking fountains. It always was unconstitutional and is now recognized as not legal.

IANAL, But until someone who is can improve my understanding, it would seem that "Your House, Your Rules" in this case is quite polite but not constitutional as the rules in this 'house' attempt to discriminate against persons merely exercising their Rights.

I am not expecting the legality of signs like this to magically change of its own accord. But I feel it is important to be consistent as we work to maintain this essential civil right.

IANAL but I'd think the problem with this argument is that two rights are in conflict with one another. Yes, gun bearing IS a right. But the proprietor of an establishment also has rights. I think the restaurant has every right in the world to disallow guns in their eatery. Personally, I also think proprietors have every right to hang "NO Whites", "No Blacks", "No Jews", "No Gays", "No Irish", "No Computer Programmers", "No Gingers" etc sings in their shops. I think freedom = deciding for yourself who you want to serve and who you don't, and while those decisions may or may not make you a miserable a-hole, it's your property and your right to decide. Additionally in non-ass-backwards parts of the country, no store or restaurant that had any of the above signs hanging in the window would be around very long as the free market would sort it out pretty quickly.

I love all the comprehension fails in this thread. On the DB bar owners twitter feed, he posted a pic of the "correct" sign. That isn't really even relevant, for whatever it is or isn't worth. It's the "idea" behind the posting of it.

-Mike

Holy crap the last 2 pics people posted on his yelp reviews are epic!!!

He's getting hammered, and in the meantime the photo page keeps getting scrubbed.

Last night, there were around 25-28 pics up.

Just before I went to bed, it was down to 3.

This morning there were none.

Now it's back up to 19. [rofl]

Like others have said , his house his rules.
It would be funny though if folks kept going in and asking if Douchebag was there.

I was a bouncer at a bar for 7 years.
An old WW2 Marine who used to bartend at the bar would stop by from time to time and told me how people used to show disrespect for a bar.

Walk up to the bar, order a beer/drink and pay for it. You can leave a tip, but it is not necessary.
Announce "this bar sucks", and dump the beer/drink out on the bar, place the glass upside down and walk out.

Wouldnt the case of wedding cake shop refusing to make a cake for a gay couple and the photograher refusing a gay wedding being ruled unconsititutional actually help make this case for gun owners? If its been ruled on that a business cant discriminate over something like that how legally can a business now discriminate over a "right"? I would think those 2 cases would have actually helped this if someone has the balls to sue.

Wouldnt the case of wedding cake shop refusing to make a cake for a gay couple and the photograher refusing a gay wedding being ruled unconsititutional actually help make this case for gun owners? If its been ruled on that a business cant discriminate over something like that how legally can a business now discriminate over a "right"? I would think those 2 cases would have actually helped this if someone has the balls to sue.

Gun owners are not a protected class.

We are living in a Country where the POTUS has you targetted and harrassed for wanting to teach its Constitution so that doesnt surprise me.

Get a better federal lobbying group and you too can be a protected class and force people to obey your every whim, whether or not they agree with you.

But this has been the way things are since well before Obama.

Doesn't bother me. I would just not patronize the place that insults me and my way of life. He's free to run his business, replete with the signage of his choosing, as its his business.

I don't see backlash harming his business, he's in a college town, its likely they'll embrace him. Free markets and all that. A few years ago, Geno's in Philly (or whoever they compete with) said all patrons must order in English - pissed a lot of people off - I don't see why - its their choice to decide who they serve and how its served to the public.

From looking at yelp it doesn't seem like the owner needs any more help with driving away business. I'd still like to be standing across the street cheering when he leaves to make a bank deposit and gets robbed at gunpoint. Bet he would wish a couple of us "douchebags" were around if that were to happen. What a total asshat.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

It only bothers me that the owner is from NJ and trying to "hope & change" SC. He should go back to NJ and he won't have to put up his sign.

IANAL but I'd think the problem with this argument is that two rights are in conflict with one another. Yes, gun bearing IS a right. But the proprietor of an establishment also has rights. I think the restaurant has every right in the world to disallow guns in their eatery. Personally, I also think proprietors have every right to hang "NO Whites", "No Blacks", "No Jews", "No Gays", "No Irish", "No Computer Programmers", "No Gingers" etc sings in their shops. I think freedom = deciding for yourself who you want to serve and who you don't, and while those decisions may or may not make you a miserable a-hole, it's your property and your right to decide. Additionally in non-ass-backwards parts of the country, no store or restaurant that had any of the above signs hanging in the window would be around very long as the free market would sort it out pretty quickly.

Agreed! And for what it's worth, I'm Jewish.

I
Additionally in non-ass-backwards parts of the country, no store or restaurant that had any of the above signs hanging in the window would be around very long as the free market would sort it out pretty quickly.
Well, there's some bigotry right there. [wink] Unless of course you include MA as "ass-backwards"? [wink]

The key to bigotry is precluding the state from enforcing bigot's opinions...

Without the support of the "Institution" (police and courts), racists are just jerks and will only be able to project their idiocy on their own property which can be avoided. If it can't be avoided, then you likely have involvement of the institution causing this...

I'd go in, eat, and on the tip slot of the bill i'd write, "0 - you can thank the stupid sign on the door"

You'd be penalizing the wrong person. The servers who work there aren't responsible for the stupid-ass policies of the management.

Back
Top Bottom