• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This guy is skilled !

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Last edited:
BREAKING NEWS............Mr. Talbot, who made some guns out of wood is being treated at a local hospital after his grandson tossed the guns into the wood stove saying, "I was cold and was too lazy to go get another log". Sorry Gramps.

In other news, Mas. AG Maaaaaatha Coakley will now drop all legislative arm twisting that was in progress to ban said wooden firearms.......

Just Kidding.....SWEET!

BTW, I think bamboo works fine as a spring, my back scratchers haven't broken in over 20 years. [smile]

Wooden springs aren't hard to make. Just like metal springs, they have to be smooth without having nicks or thin spots. Also, because of the fibrous nature of wood, you want to avoid having grain "runout". Ideally each fiber of wood goes from one end of the spring to the other. This is best accomplished by splitting straight-grained stock close to the finished size before shaping. Some woods are better than others; such as red and white oak, hickory, and white ash which are all "springy" and tough. Adjusting the thickness of the spring controls its power.

Here's a gate I made for the top of my stairs. The spring for the latch is made of red oak (from a piece of firewood).

gate.jpg

Wooden springs aren't hard to make. Just like metal springs, they have to be smooth without having nicks or thin spots. Also, because of the fibrous nature of wood, you want to avoid having grain "runout". Ideally each fiber of wood goes from one end of the spring to the other. This is best accomplished by splitting straight-grained stock close to the finished size before shaping. Some woods are better than others; such as red and white oak, hickory, and white ash which are all "springy" and tough. Adjusting the thickness of the spring controls its power.

Here's a gate I made for the top of my stairs. The spring for the latch is made of red oak (from a piece of firewood).

gate.jpg

If you have dogs, do they open it yet?

Back
Top Bottom