• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

This can't be from headspace....

Found a bunch of these 30-06 cases at the range(not mine). Primers are backing out and the it looks like extreme case head separation. Maybe someone had 30-06 in the wrong gun?

thoughts?

20190303_115214.jpg 20190303_115202.jpg

I figured the primers would be flat and flowing into the firing pin hole in an overpressure situation.

Almost looks like someone did a crappy job with a lathe or a grinder to cut those grooves in the case. Very strange. If the rifle put that upper groove in the case, whatever made the groove would likely prevent extraction.

What to the firing pin strikes on the primer look like? Are they cratered? Could have just been a poor job of seating the primers. Overall these cases look like bad juju, and I agree with Uzi2 regarding the danger presented by whoever loads these.

Can we see the headstamp?
Ive seen these before and I think it’s just another weird piece of imported brass. Kind of like that weird 9mm with the step in the case.

I believe I’ve seen them before as Barnaul ammo. I also believe they’re steel, not brass and berdan primed.

Found a bunch of these 30-06 cases at the range(not mine). Primers are backing out and the it looks like extreme case head separation. Maybe someone had 30-06 in the wrong gun?

thoughts?

View attachment 272370 View attachment 272371
IDK why but those don’t look like 30-06, primers backing out can be a few things, loose pockets , loose headspace,low pressure.
My cast loads often produce “raised” primers in my rifle loads when I load my fly fart loads.

Last edited:
Notes:
Since this ammunition is loaded with steel cases, the ring on the base of each piece of brass allows the case to expand upon firing. Since steel does not fire form like brass, this extra ring helps prevent the case from breaking into two pieces during firing.

Bob

Notes:
Since this ammunition is loaded with steel cases, the ring on the base of each piece of brass allows the case to expand upon firing. Since steel does not fire form like brass, this extra ring helps prevent the case from breaking into two pieces during firing.

Bob

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Interesting!

Since steel case, what looks like case head separation could be corrosion from inside out?

Notes:

Bob
Brass plated steel?! Son of a....

Notes:

Bob
What ? So why is all the other steel cased ammo normal? Wolf , Barnul, ect.
Is this something fairly new?
I have shot a ton of steel cased 8mm Mauser and even older wolf ?
This stuff I shot a lot of in a rifle that just hardly passes a Field HS gauge
20 round box - 8mm Mauser 170 grain FMJ Hotshot Steel case Ammo made in Romania AM1990 | SGAmmo.com
I think they do it to keep people from trying to reload it?

What ? So why is all the other steel cased ammo normal? Wolf , Barnul, ect.
Is this something fairly new?
I have shot a ton of steel cased 8mm Mauser and even older wolf ?
20 round box - 8mm Mauser 170 grain FMJ Hotshot Steel case Ammo made in Romania AM1990 | SGAmmo.com

That would be my guess as well. I have never seen it nor heard of it as well until I saw this thread.

Bob

The plating probably helps keep it from sticking in the chamber after it gets hot. Some of that steel stuff doesn't not want to extract because of whatever they put on the case melts and then sticks to the inside of your chamber if you take more than 2 or 3 seconds to fire the next round.

The plating probably helps keep it from sticking in the chamber after it gets hot. Some of that steel stuff doesn't not want to extract because of whatever they put on the case melts and then sticks to the inside of your chamber if you take more than 2 or 3 seconds to fire the next round.
Funny you dont here to much about german solders complaining about steel cased ammo jamming up their rifles. You would think we would see documentary about battles they lost because their rifles had cases jammed up ....
IDK im Just one of those who has not had problems with steel cased ammo in any platform.?

Funny you dont here to much about german solders complaining about steel cased ammo jamming up their rifles. You would think we would see documentary about battles they lost because their rifles had cases jammed up ....
IDK im Just one of those who has not had problems with steel cased ammo in any platform.?

Buy some Barnaul 30-06 (that shit with the cowboy hat guy hunting on the front of the box) and shoot it in a garand and then come back to us after you've got it jammed up nice and good. It should only take a box or two before you get a stuck case. I was lucky my rifle at the time did not tear off the casehead and I still had something to push against with the cleaning rod to get it out.....

Some steel cased ammo does not belong in or anywhere near some rifles.

-Mike

Buy some Barnaul 30-06 (that shit with the cowboy hat guy hunting on the front of the box) and shoot it in a garand and then come back to us after you've got it jammed up nice and good. It should only take a box or two before you get a stuck case. I was lucky my rifle at the time did not tear off the casehead and I still had something to push against with the cleaning rod to get it out.....

Some steel cased ammo does not belong in or anywhere near some rifles.

-Mike
i wont shoot any 30-06 ammo in my M1 unless I have good indication of the burn rate of powder used.
My guess is the steel case was not the problem but more do to a powder burn rate being to slow. ?
I have not shot barnual since the 90s , through a 7400.
Back then Barnual ammo seamed plentiful cheap and satisfactory ? I dont recall the groove? I think I still have some 9mm and maybe even some 308 stashed in the wayback room?
My only thoughts are this groove is used as a place for the steel to go when expanding vs just splitting?

Last edited:
i wont shoot any 30-06 ammo in my M1 unless I have good indication of the burn rate of powder used.
My guess is the steel case was not the problem but more do to a powder burn rate being to slow. ?

Yes that is generally a good idea, but bear in mind this stuff worked fine up until the cases started getting stuck..... it's not the "steel case" so much the problem as
it is the anti corrosion goo/lacquer they put on the cases. Stuff probably would be fine slow fire in a bolt gun...

-Mike

Funny you dont here to much about german solders complaining about steel cased ammo jamming up their rifles. You would think we would see documentary about battles they lost because their rifles had cases jammed up .... IDK im Just one of those who has not had problems with steel cased ammo in any platform.?

Bolt guns and machine guns are a different animal from what I'm talking about, today's semi-autos.

Last edited:
Bolt guns and machine guns are a different animal, I'm talking about today's semi-autos.
Why are todays semi auto 's any different? Heck they all but copy the same 75-100 year old designs .
i think theres a lot going on ... I wonder how many german machine guns puked on laquered covered 8mm?

I don't know how many 75-100 year old ARs you've ever seen, I've not seen one yet.

Machine guns have a high enough cyclic rate to not worry about the round staying in the chamber long enough to stick like an AR.

I don't know how many 75-100 year old ARs you've ever seen, I've not seen one yet.

Machine guns have a high enough cyclic rate to not worry about the round staying in the chamber long enough to stick like an AR.
Ok AR 50 plus year old design , French and Swede had direct gas impingement what 70 plus years ago.
My point is the technology is old. Honestly there has not been much of "new" tech in firearms or smokeless powders/ Cartridges in general ? maybe we have some quicker methods of testing material and faster machines to make them. ? itsd all good and fun if steel does not work for you someone will buy what you dont use.

You do realize that referring to "steel" is like referring to "wood", right?

Pine and Lignum Vitae are both wood, but they have very different properties. Steel is the same way, but from a mechanical properties standpoint, "steel" is even more variable than "wood". Saying that one type of steel case works in such-and-such a gun, so they all should, is like saying that the boxwood handle of a chisel stands up to pounding with a mallet so balsa wood should as well.

The Barnul ammo is the way it is because of the particular steel they use, and the geometry of their case- which is prone to cracking if there's excessive headspace in the gun that fires it. Normal brass can stretch enough to compensate. Other steels can (probably) stretch enough to compensate. Their steel maybe can't.

As a result, Barnul felt that to not kill people with crappy guns, it was necessary to include a feature that would allow their cases to stretch without failing. It's probably ignorant to second guess them.

With that said, don't reload this shit.

Another factor wrt steel cases sticking in a gun is the case body geometry. Some cartridges have a larger body taper. Ppl like to blame it all on coatings but that is not the complete picture. A cartridge with a greater taper is going to have greater bolt thrust but also have better extraction characteristics. Cartridge designs with less taper are going to have less bolt thrust but might have a harder time extracting steel/dirty chamber.

I have had shooters with the green boxed Romanian 8mm that is out of spec.; couldn't close the bolt on his Mauser.
I ended up pulling it apart and sized it again, so it could be chambered and fired off.
I've seen other forums with similar complaints on this brand of ammo.

I have had shooters with the green boxed Romanian 8mm that is out of spec.; couldn't close the bolt on his Mauser.
I ended up pulling it apart and sized it again, so it could be chambered and fired off.
I've seen other forums with similar complaints on this brand of ammo.
Man you have some free fime!
OMG re resized steel! Cant be done! Lol
Im sure "junk" find s its way out of the factory.
i gave up shooting any steel ammo except for x39 in the sks/Ak . I do have about 2000 rounds of steel cased 22lr russian ammo Junoir brand left.
its about 40 yrs old. Shoots pretty darn well to.

Back
Top Bottom