This bank wants to track suspect credit card sales of guns and ammo. Why can't it?

Pay cash.

I usually use my CC for every single purchase that I can for the cash back, but... I pay cash for guns.
I get what you are trying to do, but unless it's a face to face with cash, there's a record. I didn't look at your location, but even face to face you have to log it somewhere in mASS right?

I get what you are trying to do, but unless it's a face to face with cash, there's a record. I didn't look at your location, but even face to face you have to log it somewhere in mASS right?

Not trying to hide any gun purchases at all, kinda impossible in MA anyways. I just pay cash for guns and the OP was concerned with CC companies knowing your business, not the gov.

Don't want CC companies knowing about your purchases, use cash. Worried about gov knowing your gun purchases? Move to a "free" state and buy everything using the Glock loophole.

Not trying to hide any gun purchases at all, kinda impossible in MA anyways. I just pay cash for guns and the OP was concerned with CC companies knowing your business, not the gov.

Don't want CC companies knowing about your purchases, use cash. Worried about gov knowing your gun purchases? Move to a "free" state and buy everything using the Glock loophole.
Ok, I see the difference. I live in about as free a state you can be in, I would say 'Thank God', but no way I'd ever move to mAss or any other blue hellhole.

CB credit card just blocked an on-line transaction. They said the merchant put in an extra layer of security. I called them a liar. I told them they blocked the transaction.

Then they asked for my cell phone number so they could send me a code. I told them to to go off themselves.

They can either cancel my account or leave me the iff alone.

They didn't know whether to crap or go blind....

I'll be cancelling that account.

Anyone have a good bank for credit cards?

Oh yeah, I was buying a pair of pants and shorts off a tactical site. They don't even sell firearms or ammo.

CB credit card just blocked an on-line transaction. ...

Anyone have a good bank for credit cards?
To be fair, any good credit card fraud department is going to risk false positives, blocking desired transactions.

Lithic (Privacy.com) has an interesting model, but you lose the "float".

So let me get this straight: a bank wouldn't have a problem if someone makes $9,000, $26,000 or $95,000 worth of purchases in a very short (or relatively short) period of time, but if it involves guns it is problematic?

So let me get this straight: a bank wouldn't have a problem if someone makes $9,000, $26,000 or $95,000 worth of purchases in a very short (or relatively short) period of time, but if it involves guns it is problematic?
it involved pants. they don't sell guns....

it involved pants. they don't sell guns....

For a second I was wondering "what the hell are you talking about". Then I looked at your previous post. LOL

Edit: Bro! For real? [rofl] Look who else shops there, apparently
E_l8iubX0AAo6UT

It is not about flagging suspicious sales, but giving banks the option to configure their system to deny approval of any charge submitted by a denounced category.

This is already in use elsewhere. I have a Mastercard tied to by FSA (Health care flexible spending account). Not only is the merchant type tagged, but the purchase categories are so approval will be denied for any products not on the "FSA Approved" list.

Categories are also used to assess merchant fees. The fee level depends on the type of card (yes, merchants pay more when you use a Visa Signature card instead of a different version of Visa card; merchant type (supermarkets and gas stations pay a lower percentage); type of transaction (card present gets a lower rate than online of phoned in card number); etc. It would be trivial for banks to put gun stores on the "deny" list or for Visa or MC (not sure about the individual banks) to set the percentage fee for the gun store category (an intermediary generally adds another fee on top of this). I learned lots of cool stuff when developing an interface to the CC processing system before vendors like Stripe eliminated the need to understand a lot of details.

Last edited:
This bank wants to track suspect credit card sales of guns and ammo. Why can't it?

Imagine if banks decide to track certain medical transactions if Roe gets overturned...
Wow, this guy is a POS. None of those things was a crime until the person decided to commit a crime with the tools.

So what are they going to do, stop lawful transactions just in case?

The man who shot up the Pulse Nightclub in Orlando, killing 49 people, put more than $26,000 on credit cards.

And the shooter who killed 59 at a music festival in Las Vegas charged almost $95,000.

"We have an obligation to address crime that is being facilitated through our system," Sims Brown said.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren, D-Mass., and a group of nearly 40 congressional Democrats are urging credit card companies to track gun and ammunition purchases. It would be the first step to facilitating the collection of data that could help law enforcement identify domestic terrorism threats, they say in a letter sent last week to executives at Mastercard, Visa and American Express.
It sure feels like there is a very coordinated effort throughout the woke financial sector to create ‘private’ gun control. I wonder if it is being driven by interaction with the ATF, etc like the censoring of private speech by coordination between government and social media. Also, wouldn’t this enable the card companies to create a gun registry? The credit card transactions include our names and what we bought and the card company knows our addresses, etc. Seems like another example of actual fascism where government coerces private companies to do their bidding.
Doubtful. It isn't as if any other card issuer is better.
So far it doesn't appear that Discover is on board.

Last edited:
So if the CC companies have ostensibly become agents of the state, wouldn't they be subject to that pesky Constitution and now require a warrant, issued by a judge based on probable cause of a crime being committed to search your transactions? Can't have it both ways.

So if the CC companies have ostensibly become agents of the state, wouldn't they be subject to that pesky Constitution and now require a warrant, issued by a judge based on probable cause of a crime being committed to search your transactions? Can't have it both ways.
Generally that is only true when the state asks them to take an action. If a business takes it upon themselves to act as snitches out of a sense of civic duty, without being prompted or directly incentivized/blackmailed by law enforcement, generally no civil rights issue is raised and the warrantless data is admissible.

For an example of loopholes, see for example the Right to Financial Privacy Act ((12 U.S.C. 3401)
RFPA said:
3401. Definitions
For the purpose of this chapter, the term --
(1) "financial institution" means any office of a bank, savings bank, card issuer as defined in section 1602(n) of title 15, industrial loan company, trust company, savings association, building and loan, or homestead association (including cooperative banks), credit union, or consumer finance institution, located in any State or territory of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, or the Virgin Islands;

(2) "financial record" means an original of, a copy of, or information known to have been derived from, any record held by a financial institution pertaining to a customer's relationship with the financial institution;

Nothing in this chapter shall preclude any financial institution, or any officer, employee, or agent of a financial institution, from notifying a Government authority that such institution, or officer, employee, or agent has information which may be relevant to a possible violation of any statute or regulation.
Such information may include only the name or other identifying information concerning any individual, corporation, or account involved in and the nature of any suspected illegal activity. Such information may be disclosed notwithstanding any constitution, law, or regulation of any State or political subdivision thereof to the contrary. Any financial institution, or officer, employee, or agent thereof, making a disclosure of information pursuant to this subsection, shall not be liable to the customer under any law or regulation of the United States or any constitution, law or regulation of any State or political subdivision thereof, for such disclosure or for any failure to notify the customer of such disclosure.

Back
Top Bottom