Thinking of putting together a GHB

So I was watching this YouTube video last night

http://youtu.be/L_WPSKR1V0Y

http://youtu.be/L_WPSKR1V0Y

It seems to be a pretty good general idea of how to make myself a Get Home Bag.

I'm new to EDC and I've never really been into prepping, but since about 9 months ago when I got my LTC-A and started carrying every day, I've been thinking about the "what-if's" a lot, and it dawned on me that since I'm at work all day every day, there is a good chance that if something were to happen, whether its SHTF or just a major snowstorm or what have you, I figure it's time I start getting prepared, and to start I want to make myself up a GHB, I case I had to walk home to my family.

I only work about 15 miles away from home, I live one town south of Worcester, and work in the city on the West Boylston line. I figure if something happened and I was on my own, walking home, through the city could be potentially dangerous, since I always have my M&P40 with 2 extra magazines locked up in my car right outside the office, I figure I'm on step ahead of the majority of the sheep who might be out on the streets trying to get home along side me. However I figure a gun is a great start, but I should start putting together something a little more comprehensive.

Anybody got any ideas of a store in Central MA where I might be able to get most of the typical items that would go inside this Get Home Bag? I would like to try to get as much as I can locally, and without breaking the bank! Haha I know that's probably asking a lot. I already have an excellent, large Swiss Army Brand back pack, seems to be really durable with lots of space.

Sorry for the long post, just wanted to explain what I'm thinking about doing, I figure a lot of you probably have experience in this department, and can give me some really great advice, whenever I need help, or suggestions, the best ones I get always come from NES

Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
You can get pretty much everything you'll need at Walmart. Supplement what you can get there with some stuff from a sporting goods chain (Dicks, Sports Authority, etc.), and maybe a few tools from a place like Home Depot or Lowes.

Any particular reason you're going shopping big-chain stores locally? I've had good luck with Amazon for getting a lot of items I needed for a GHB.

I also recommend making a spreadsheet of what you have in your GHB, and any expiration dates for things like First Aid, Water Purification, and Rations/Power Bars.

Good luck and have fun!

Any particular reason you're going shopping big-chain stores locally? I've had good luck with Amazon for getting a lot of items I needed for a GHB.

I also recommend making a spreadsheet of what you have in your GHB, and any expiration dates for things like First Aid, Water Purification, and Rations/Power Bars.

Good luck and have fun!

I hadn't really decided on where to get everything, I don't particularly like going to big retail stores, actually I was kinda hoping for a store that specializes in outdoors, but not necessarily Dick's where I can sort of walk around and browse for things you know?

Not really sure where to go tho, is there a particular survival page on Amazon where I might find a lot of what I'm looking for?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

REI is a good place to pick up things. I know it's more expensive than Amazon, or Wallmart. But they do sell quality stuff. I pick up mountain house meals from the one near my office.

<snip>Not really sure where to go tho, is there a particular survival page on Amazon where I might find a lot of what I'm looking for?

Don't fall into the "Survival Supplies" trap, it's all marketing.

Pick a store, pick any store but before you buy anything, think of where your might be at whatever time of day when you are furthest from home then...

Think how long it would take to walk home from there, a couple hours or a day or two or three ?.

Then think of the areas you'll be walking home through; is it urban like a city ? Surburban, mostly houses and few shops ? Are you rural with nothing nearby ?

What kind of skills will you need to get home and how much can you comfortably carry ? A tarp weighs less than a tent but if you can build a debris hut you won't need either.

Not everyone can stash a backpack with a tent, sleeping bag, extra clothes and three or four days of food & water in their car or at work. Can you ?

Can you cache anything you might need along the way ? Even if it's only a couple pouches of Mountain House and some energy bars that's something you don't have to carry. A bicycle and supplies stashed in a U-Lock U-Store place can be a lifesaver.

A Get Home Bag is a very personal item. There is no list of things which will work for everyone. Think of what it will take to get you home comfortably and in good health.

I had a camelbak BFR laying around in my garage. It comfortably swallowed the goodies I need to walk home from work. It now sits in my trunk. And I do believe as it sits now it could eat a broken down AR.

My view is to over pack something the size of a plastic storage bin for the trunk. That way you can have extra stuff. when the apocalypse of choice happens you can take what that particular event requires and leave the rest in the car. There is no way any one bag can cover all possibilities (or even the most likely) so its best to have as many choices as you can fit in a bigger (non-carryable) bag....

just my .02

I agree that most of the stuff people try to sell you for a "SHTF, GHB" you probably won't need in an actual emergency. If you're 15 miles from home, think about stocking your HOUSE with supplies and just make sure you always have a good pair of boots, hiking socks, bottles of water, raincoat, hat, good quality flashlights with extra batteries, maybe a GPS, a charged cell phone, with you so that you can get home to your supplies. And a weapon of course. And you'll need a backpack to haul it. And make sure your family knows what to do, where to go and how to contact you in an emergency. You're not going to starve to death 15 miles from home.

If you work in a city, the scenario I picture as most likely to require a GHB is a 9-11 style type event where transportation is shut down and large numbers of people are walking home; there is confusion but not chaos except at the immediate site of the event. (Other scenarios are possible of course, and you may have a different view of what is likely.)

A lot of items listed above would be useful in that scenario. In addition, goggles and an N95 mask would help keep dust and debris out of your eyes, nose and mouth -- think of the video footage of 9-11, and the choking dust cloud that raced down the streets. And a good street map or gas station-style atlas of local towns is an important navigational tool that doesn't rely on technology.

Just a thought...

If you work a good distance from home (as I do) a map wouldn't be a bad thing to keep in your GHB. I take 95 almost the entire way to work (+/- 45 miles each way). I don't think I'd be able to get home taking back roads only.

15 miles.

My worthless opinion : keep it small , you don't need a fishing kit , you don't need 3 forms of fire making , you don't need a tent , or an heirloom seed bank.

Walking shoes , seasonal weather appropriate clothing , including a raincoat - it can rain even in February. Keep that stiff in the trunk of your car.

In your backpack have 2 meals , water , a first aid kit , a compass and map , a flashlight , a knife or multi tool , and maybe a big effing can of bear spray. A wad of cash big enough to bribe a stranger to drive you home wouldn't hurt.

You're going to walk until you need to stop , rest an hour or two and do it again.

The first few hours of craziness and people sort of pull together , I wouldn't worry about canabalism until the second or third day ...

Of course , an AK under folder and a few friends wouldn't hurt either , but it's probably going to slow you down if you aren't used to walking for 8 hours.

i work about 30 miles from home. my bag has 2 pairs of socks, an extra belt, leatherman, camelback, flashlight+batteries, poncho, 2 pairs gloves, water filter straw and tablets, small golf towel, small folding stove +fuel tablets, stainless cup, piece of leather (for picking up hot cup/stove) paracord, fire steel, dryer lint (works great for starting fires), first aid kit, bug spray, 30ml bottle campsuds, handwarmers, small baofeng transceiver(with an ed fong j-pole) and a few different types of protein/emergency food bars. i also keep a spetsnaz shovel, hatchet and a couple knives with it. i figure that i may have to hoof it home every time i leave the house.
it's good to have a plan as well. if you have to walk because of a weather emergency, it's probably best to wait out the weather. if you have to walk because of a tinfoil-hat-special type of event (emp, zombies) it's probably best to pick a direction and get going immediately.
know how to use what you have and know as many alternate routes as possible.

Back
Top Bottom