Thinking of an AR assembly...

Sweeney

NES Member
I don't know why, but I'm thinking of assembling an AR. I'm leaning towards a Gibbz side charge upper. It will definitely be a side charger of some make...perhaps my own if I feel ambitious. I like the the clean lines...no forward assist or protruding case deflector. It would be free floated and I'm contemplating 300 Blackout with a 16" barrel. A muzzle device is optional...maybe just a thread protector for starters. Maybe an optic like an Aimpoint PRO, maybe just irons or both. It will also definitely have a JP Silent Captured Spring recoil/buffer assembly. I hate the cheese grater sound of the standard AR spring.

My thoughts are; clean lines, light weight...simple.

Purpose (because someone will ask); Because I need another project so I have an even 20 going on at the same time...and I just want to.

I'm shopping for parts. I can get an 80% lower for free and I have some random AR bits lying around. I also have a block of aluminum, some 4130, a Bridgeport, Rockwell lathe, a couple of welders and I'm close to having my cnc mill rebuilt. I also have just enough ability to be dangerous.

Thoughts on barrels? Rainier?

Thanks! I looked at those. I think the Matrix is simply the Gibbz system on an upper with case deflector and forward assist...neither of which I want. I also want the non reciprocating charging handle on the left side.

Last edited:
The Eisenach is right side charging. The other two are manufacture by Gibbz and 'branded' for others I believe.

Thanks! I looked at those. I think the Matrix is simply the Gibbz system on an upper with case deflector and forward assist...neither of which I want. I also want the non reciprocating charging handle on the left side.

I was going to go this route and I still might ....I just had to many random parts around to finish my 18" bull barrel biuld to spend more money. I really need to get into a nice scope so my funding is going there.

The Eisenach is right side charging. The other two are manufacture by Gibbz and 'branded' for others I believe.

Reached out to Eisenach this morning. They told me they're releasing a left-charge, right-eject upper this year.

No.No. Here was their response:

"No, we prefer having a robust attached handle to engage rounds into and out of the chamber like every other semi-automatic firearm."

"No, we prefer having a robust attached handle to engage rounds into and out of the chamber like every other semi-automatic firearm."

Their comment makes no sense. AR,FAL and HK types have non-attached, non-reciprocating charging handles. M1 Garand, M1 Carbine, M14 have non-attached but reciprocating charging handles just to name some.

I think they're just taking a simpler route. You could take any AR upper, mill a slot then drill/tap and screw a handle into the bolt carrier and have a side charging, reciprocating handle.

Granted, their attached handle allows it to act as a forward assist if you feel it's needed as does the handle on an M1, M14...or any bolt action for that matter. Then again, I wouldn't want to be smacking the handle as they have it and its attachment designed for fear of bending or breaking it.

Last edited:
It's possible that they're going that route to protect their product line. If they released a standard SCU design, they'd lose a ton of BCG sales.

This, do eeeeeet.

8f984955f040b92b395f397cb8b6885d.jpg

Hmmmm ......

My bad, Ben. I thought you were responding to the quote I got from Eisenach.

I think that IS the Matrix upper in the photo, though. If it isn't, it looks just like it.

My bad, Ben. I thought you were responding to the quote I got from Eisenach.

I think that IS the Matrix upper in the photo, though. If it isn't, it looks just like it.

It was more of a wtf are they talking about.
Most non reciprocating side chargers do t have a forward assist but it can be made to have one .
I was planing on buying one for my dmr but I already had a upper kicking around .
I think a few companies are selling the same one now under there name .

The Rousch Sports looks nice. Though I don't want the forward assist or 'standard' case deflector, I do like their track for the charging handle.

Back
Top Bottom