Thinking about building an AR

As the title says I am thinking about building an AR (saw a few at Tombstone and instantly fell in love, but the price...)

Anyways, I need suggestions about who and where to order a kit from and just about how much money am I looking at as opposed to just getting one from a store.

Check out Dennis at First Firearm Defense.... He had a few stripped and complete lowers and butt stocks..... I am sure then will not last this weekend....

Its very hard to find parts for them now. I am still waiting on a Stag upper group buy I did back in Mid November. Stripped lowers are at a premium now too. All in all I will be into mine for $749. I paid $599 shipped for the complete upper and $150 for a stripped lower. 4 Seasons had a complete lower and stock for $379, not sure if they still do.

The two that I saw were 1k for one and $1500 for the other. One had an adj. butt and the other had a reg butt stock. The one with the reg butt was an M&P, not sure what the other was. The Warden was out in the car and I had limited time to take it all in.

If by adjustable you mean collapseable then maybe its a pre ban AR which would explain the high price. I would think for $1500 it would be pre ban. The other one sounds about right. I would think you would pay $900-$1200 for a post ban AR since the election.

I have a pre ban and will also have a post ban when the upper comes in. I'd just do it yourself. Save the money for a complete rifle and buy upgrades for the one you build.

Parts have been hard to find, barrels have been particularly difficult. I can find sources for just about everything else. Let me know if you need help finding any parts, if I have a source for that part I would be happy to pass it along.

Everyone's posted prices seem about right, if you get lucky you should be able to do one for around $700 still, but that's given you can find things without the Big-O markup.

When you build your own you can just about spend as little or as much as you want depending on the parts you go with. You can probably go as low as $700 and after that the sky is the limit. When I put my Stag all together I think I am about $1100-$1200 in the hole thus far. If I replace the trigger and BCG like I plan that's another couple hundred right there.

I've been waiting for BCG's to get back in stock. Barrels are part of the big delays right now. Then there are gas blocks and flip up sites, rail systems, scopes and optics, etc. There is so much you can do with an AR15. You could even get a flare launcher that resembles a grenade launcher.

Where's the most likely place to get a complete upper from right now, or are they backordered everywhere?

No I haven't yet contacted Remsport.

I am also giving it a shot, picking up my lower, parts kit, and stock on Monday, just trying to figure out my best bet for getting a complete upper right now.

I think your best bet right now would be to check the Equipment Exchange on
www.ar15.com

The key is to know exactly what you are looking for. The more "tactical" you get the more money it is going to be and the harder it will be to find.

Back
Top Bottom