Thinking about a SBR.

Ok, so I'm reading about what is needed. I've asked a few questions. I've requested the Form 1 from the ATF so I can start looking over that.

So, I guess the next thing is I was going to do this with the Chief. I wasn't going to set up a trust, plus it seems that NFA trusts are not really happening in MA from what I'm reading.

So, if and when I do move forward...what would I need to bring to the chief besides the forms needed for him to sign? Is there things that I need to have here in MA? I'm guessing a copy of my C&R?

You may also need fingerprint cards and a passport size photo. Your PD might provide the fingerprint cards, my FFL provided me with two when I had my form 4 done.

Last edited:
you don't need a c&r for the cop signoff, or for a sbr.
i have 2 had my dlr help me w/ the forms, he had the fingerprint cards
got those done for free at the local statepolice barracks
police dept will not have the correct print cards.
cop needs the forms filled out, they review and should sign.

garyz

Last edited:
Yea, but what I'm getting doesn't need to go through an FFL, correct? I'm just buying an Upper. I've been trying to find out if I need a dealer to accept the SBR Upper or not. I can't do much of anything... because if I do do this, it's going to be with the Zombie Lower. So, it's next year before I even think about doing this...as my understanding is I would need the serial number off the lower, as well as have it engraved before I send in the paperwork.

Speaking of...can I have what I want engraved as far as name and location? Or, does it have to be the same as I put on my Form 1? I was wonedering if I could use C-pher Lastname instead of Christopher Lastname.

Yea, but what I'm getting doesn't need to go through an FFL, correct? I'm just buying an Upper. I've been trying to find out if I need a dealer to accept the SBR Upper or not. I can't do much of anything... because if I do do this, it's going to be with the Zombie Lower. So, it's next year before I even think about doing this...as my understanding is I would need the serial number off the lower, as well as have it engraved before I send in the paperwork.

Speaking of...can I have what I want engraved as far as name and location? Or, does it have to be the same as I put on my Form 1? I was wonedering if I could use C-pher Lastname instead of Christopher Lastname.

#1. No you don't need a dealer to recieve the upper, (but you can't have it till your form is approved, assuming you have the lower already). So either don't order it till the forms come back, or have it shipped to a friends house.

#2. You need to engrave what is listed on the Form. BATF has flip-flopped a few times if full first name is needed or first initial is OK, or even all initials. I would strongly recommend engraving EXACTLY what the form says...

#1. No you don't need a dealer to recieve the upper, (but you can't have it till your form is approved, assuming you have the lower already). So either don't order it till the forms come back, or have it shipped to a friends house.

I wasn't going to order it until then anyway. And, right now I don't have the money. So it's a Moot point anyway. And, I would hate to buy the upper, and then find out that my chief won't sign.

#2. You need to engrave what is listed on the Form. BATF has flip-flopped a few times if full first name is needed or first initial is OK, or even all initials. I would strongly recommend engraving EXACTLY what the form says...

OK, So I'll wait for the forms and find out what it says. I wouldn't mind putting C-pher Lastname...if I have to...as Christopher Lastname is long. Unless I can use my initials. That would be cool.

So, I guess the next thing is I was going to do this with the Chief. I wasn't going to set up a trust, plus it seems that NFA trusts are not really happening in MA from what I'm reading.

NFA Trusts are Ok in MA. Read all of this: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/82494-MA-NFA-Trust-Notice-Big-Issues

Then call Joe,
Hickson Law Group, P.C.
51 Taylor Street
3rd Floor
Springfield, Massachusetts 01103
413.732.7708Phone:
413.375.9888FAX:
E-mail: [email protected]

NFA Trusts are Ok in MA. Read all of this: http://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/82494-MA-NFA-Trust-Notice-Big-Issues

Then call Joe,
Hickson Law Group, P.C.
51 Taylor Street
3rd Floor
Springfield, Massachusetts 01103
413.732.7708Phone:
413.375.9888FAX:
E-mail: [email protected]

The MA trust issues have been resolved (at least for the time being). I will say that Joe Hickson played a HUGE part in getting this resolved behind the scenes.

That's good to know...but if I can do it directly through my PD, then I'm going to go that route. Granted I'm of limited knowledge, but I don't see why I shouldn't do this. I don't plan on having a TON of NFA Stuff. I'm pretty sure that this will be the only one that I do. That's saying that I do build it. LIke I said, I'm still gathering information. And, also where I don't have a TON of money...going this way will be the least expensive route for me.

...but if I can do it directly through my PD, then I'm going to go that route. Granted I'm of limited knowledge, but I don't see why I shouldn't do this...

I tend to agree with your logic here, if you can just get a CLEO sign off I will ussually recommend such, fewer potential "pit falls" than the other methods.

There are of course some circumstances when an "other method" may be beneficial, even if CLEO sig. is obtainable, but for the most part, individual w/ CLEO is the "cleanest" method.

Back
Top Bottom