• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thin blue line car decal

Obie1

NES Member
I had the great fun of driving about 800 miles over the long weekend. I noticed way more than a few of the above on cars. My question is do you guys pay any attention to these?

I pay attention and profile the driver especially when it's the front plate. It's definitely getting popular.
For what it's worth I work with the kid who's got the sticker. No affiliation whatsoever. Tells me that cops wave to him occasionally.

Most cops i know don't even look twice. People think they are get out of a ticket stickers not to mention you get them very easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NOPue stripe is for The Law and top black is for the public and bottom black is for The bad guys.( I think)
Close.
Youre either " us" or "them" . Depending on who you believe, the thin blue line gayness goes back to the Frank Serpico days, and it was all about the corruption, you were either on board, or you werent, and you were the enemy. Its pretty stupid in my opinion, I dont want anyone knowing im a cop if im in my pov

My father (R.I.P.) was LEO and he gave me one of these to stick on the rear window of my old Chevy Blazer. I never thought much of it, just figured it was to show support for the job. I got pulled over in Falmouth one Summer afternoon for blowing through a red light (It was yellow turning to red as I passed under the light) and the officer asked for my lic and reg, then asked what the sticker on my back window was. I said "Which one? There's a few back there.", and he responded "The thin blue line." I told him my father gave it to me and he asked about my father and what town he worked for and so on. He gave me a verbal warning and that was it.
Now maybe I would have received a warning regardless, because my driving record is near perfect but I assume that little sticker didn't hurt. When I got rid of that Blazer I never bothered to search out another Thin Blue Line sticker to put on my new car. Just because my father was a cop doesn't mean I have anything to do with that, so to me it's sort of false advertising. The year before he went into the soldier's home my dad also gave me a MCOPA sticker to put on my windshield and I did. Then I learned how unfriendly the MCOPA is to gun owners so I removed it.

You can find the TBL stickers and even MPA stickers for a few bucks on the big bad auction site... Anyone can appear to be a cop. I think a lot of real cops prefer not to display any stickers or what. If they need a pass, they have a badge and ID.

As far as the MPA stickers, I think it is illegal to have a union sticker on your car if you have no affiliation.

Where did you get that sticker son?

The internet sir.

Here is your ticket .

Sent from my Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk Pro - typos are from the GD auto correct unless they are funny substitutions those I'll take credit for.

My father (R.I.P.) was LEO and he gave me one of these to stick on the rear window of my old Chevy Blazer. I never thought much of it, just figured it was to show support for the job. I got pulled over in Falmouth one Summer afternoon for blowing through a red light (It was yellow turning to red as I passed under the light) and the officer asked for my lic and reg, then asked what the sticker on my back window was. I said "Which one? There's a few back there.", and he responded "The thin blue line." I told him my father gave it to me and he asked about my father and what town he worked for and so on. He gave me a verbal warning and that was it.
Now maybe I would have received a warning regardless, because my driving record is near perfect but I assume that little sticker didn't hurt. When I got rid of that Blazer I never bothered to search out another Thin Blue Line sticker to put on my new car. Just because my father was a cop doesn't mean I have anything to do with that, so to me it's sort of false advertising. The year before he went into the soldier's home my dad also gave me a MCOPA sticker to put on my windshield and I did. Then I learned how unfriendly the MCOPA is to gun owners so I removed it.

When TBL plates and stickers were first available it looked like a good idea. Once everyone and their brother put one on their car mostly bought on fleabay, maybe not so much. Also depends where you park your car . . . most of Brockton and some parts of Boston might not be such a good idea.

MANY cops put MPA stickers on their cars, those of their family, etc. My late chief once gave me one and told me to put it on my car, that was a long time (and many cars) ago. He also gave me a MCOPA sticker and I told him no way in hell that I'd put that on my car . . . and that was long before I knew that they are more radical than Brady!

Farva anyone?
mEi5zKIRxv8eFnyH9t9eTDQ.jpg

And yes its illegal to have a MPA sticker if you have no affiliation to it, there's a member number on them that are registered to the person they were issued to.

Damn, that is one ghey law. I wonder if its illegal to have an IBEW, IAFF, or other union member sticker on my car? [rolleyes]. Actually, I don't want any union stickers on my car, but having a law against it is beyond ridiculous.

As far as the MPA stickers, I think it is illegal to have a union sticker on your car if you have no affiliation.
It is, and the MPA stickers are serial numbered and can be traced back to the issuee.

Moreover, I don't know of any cops who have TBL stickers or plates anymore. They only seem to be on everyone else's car now.

And yes its illegal to have a MPA sticker if you have no affiliation to it, there's a member number on them that are registered to the person they were issued to.

WAT?

I wonder if its illegal to have an IBEW, IAFF, or other union member sticker on my car?
042.gif
. Actually, I don't want any union stickers on my car, but having a law against it is beyond ridiculous.
The law is against displaying such an emblem to make a fraudulent representation - for example, selling yourself as a union electrician when you are not. When someone without LE status displays an MPA sticker in the "traffic stop visible position", it is reasonable to assume it is being done to create the impression one is off duty LEO or family thereof, and therefore immune to citation for minor violations.

You can find the TBL stickers and even MPA stickers for a few bucks on the big bad auction site... Anyone can appear to be a cop. I think a lot of real cops prefer not to display any stickers or what. If they need a pass, they have a badge and ID.

It's something like a $20 fine for the fraudulent display of a trade union or professional association emblem. Good luck trying to get a prosecutor interested if it's an electrician who is a non-member of the IBEW showing a sticker, but they will spare few resources prosecuting this $20 offense for an MPA sticker. The MPA serial numbers all stickers and has an active campaign "do not tolerate these on civilian vehicles".

The obvious purpose of these is traffic stop courtesy, as evidenced by the primary recommended location (top of rear window) and secondary location (passenger side window).

Last edited:
MPA sticker got me a verbal warning one of the rare times I have been stopped. The cop asked me about it then told me to slow down. It was one of those 30MPH down a steep hill traps. I guess it depends on the cop who makes the stop.

The law is against displaying such an emblem to make a fraudulent representation - for example, selling yourself as a union electrician when you are not. When someone without LE status displays an MPA sticker in the "traffic stop visible position", it is reasonable to assume it is being done to create the impression one is off duty LEO or family thereof, and therefore immune to citation for minor violations.

It's something like a $20 fine for the fraudulent display of a trade union or professional association emblem. Good luck trying to get a prosecutor interested if it's an electrician who is a non-member of the IBEW showing a sticker, but they will spare few resources prosecuting this $20 offense for an MPA sticker. The MPA serial numbers all stickers and has an active campaign "do not tolerate these on civilian vehicles".

The obvious purpose of these is traffic stop courtesy, as evidenced by the primary recommended location (top of rear window) and secondary location (passenger side window).

Nice euphemism.

Back
Top Bottom