• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Thin blue line car decal

You run a car's plate all because of a sticker on the car and you automatically assume they are shady? Is that even legal to do?

It could be an indicator of something and rise to the level of reasonable suspicion. Street experience teaches certain things about people and behaviors and vehicles. Some people catch on, Savvy cops look for certain things and certain behaviors, and no its not profiling, more like behavioral assessment screening. Simple fact people reveal a lot by how they drive, what they drive and even what and how they display on their vehicles, and no its not about their "right" to display what they want on their cars, call it a hunch, a "feeling" or whatever, some cops got it and some don't.

This answer is gonna offend certain libertarian types but it does not in any way diminish the truth of the matter.

Last edited:
It could be an indicator of something and rise to the level of reasonable suspicion.
So does that mean that having any kind of sticker on your vehicle that an individual LEO takes exception to; where no crime is taking place, gives that LEO reasonable suspicion look up your plates?

Last edited:
So does that mean that having any kind of sticker on your vehicle that an individual LEO takes exception to; where no crime is taking place, gives that LEO reasonable suspicion look up your plates?

You don't need RS to run a plate.

So does that mean that having any kind of sticker on your vehicle that goes against an individual LEOs preference or ideals gives that LEO reasonable suspicion look up your plates?

You are never gonna get it and I'm not going to argue with ya. I didn't say that, and you are lacking in critical reading skills. If you want to argue find another homey cuz I ain't playing. It's not about predjudice, or ideals. Most cops are pragmatists. They know that bad guys and trouble makers act in certain ways, exhibit certain behaviors, it's not about ideology. The ones that are bullies behind the badge and are JBTs are a different category all together. It's being street smart and either you got it or you don't, it's that simple. I'm not a cop. I work with cops, some I'd trust on the mean streets of Lowell, Lawrence or Fitchburg with my life because they know what they are doing, they are street smart, others I'd feel safer with a troop of girl scouts and my Swiss Army knife, maybe those are the cops you are talking about, and frankly you want to turn this into a usual JBT I know my rights NES rant, and it gets old Bubba Gump. Find another huckleberry.

No shit? Well you learn something new everyday. I mean I always figured LEO looked up plates regardless of a crime taking place but I figured it was a against policy or something.

Some departments have cameras in their cruisers that are hooked up to optical character recognition software that automatically looks up any plate that happens to get in front of their lens. Perfectly legal apparently.

You are never gonna get it and I'm not going to argue with ya. I didn't say that, and you are lacking in critical reading skills. If you want to argue find another homey cuz I ain't playing. It's not about predjudice, or ideals. Most cops are pragmatists. They know that bad guys and trouble makers act in certain ways, exhibit certain behaviors, it's not about ideology. The ones that are bullies behind the badge and are JBTs are a different category all together. It's being street smart and either you got it or you don't, it's that simple. I'm not a cop. I work with cops, some I'd trust on the mean streets of Lowell, Lawrence or Fitchburg with my life because they know what they are doing, they are street smart, others I'd feel safer with a troop of girl scouts and my Swiss Army knife, maybe those are the cops you are talking about, and frankly you want to turn this into a usual JBT I know my rights NES rant, and it gets old Bubba Gump. Find another huckleberry.
I wasn't arguing with you at all. I was actually trying to get more clarification because it seems kinda wrong (to run plates with no probable cause that is). So there is no need for a Maginot Line defense. lol.

No shit? Well you learn something new everyday. I mean I always figured LEO looked up plates regardless of a crime taking place but I figured it was a against policy or something.

The courts, at least in MA, had ruled there is no expectation of privacy in your plate results.

Despite how BS I may think that is, police and other data terminal users must also abide by NCIC, DCJIS, and CORI regulations that bar queries for improper purposes--for example, to find out what type of car Tom Brady drives or to lookup where the cute Dunkin Donuts cashier lives.

I wasn't arguing with you at all. I was actually trying to get more clarification because it seems kinda wrong (to run plates with no probable cause that is). So there is no need for a Maginot Line defense. lol.
Think about it like this. When you run checks on a plate, all you're doing is looking at records. Meaning you're looking at information that the government is already aware of and has already entered into one or more databases.

Some departments have cameras in their cruisers that are hooked up to optical character recognition software that automatically looks up any plate that happens to get in front of their lens. Perfectly legal apparently.

Those plate readers don't do "live" database queries though. Mainly to save on cell data usage.

Every day or few days, a database of plates that have problem statuses attached to them (owner has a warrant or suspended license, vehicle registration is revoked, etc.) are downloaded to the computer running the plate reader. All that is stored is the plate and the reason for the problem status, no personal info is stored.

When a plate is read and gets a "hit", the operator of the reader has to confirm the hit to ensure the problem status hasn't been fixed since the last database download.

... Every day or few days, a database of plates that have problem statuses attached to them (owner has a warrant or suspended license, vehicle registration is revoked, etc.) are downloaded to the computer running the plate reader. All that is stored is the plate and the reason for the problem status, no personal info is stored. ...

So.... Register the car in another state to defeat the readers. (And save a couple bucks on insurance, too!) Nice. Thank you!

Until its discoved you dont live in another state !! MA always gets their dough.

It's my earnest desire to make it true. That's based not just on political viewpoints, but also on economics (too expensive to live here), population density (I need room to stretch my legs) and climate (I'm too old to enjoy the blizzards anymore).

The courts, at least in MA, had ruled there is no expectation of privacy in your plate results.

Despite how BS I may think that is, police and other data terminal users must also abide by NCIC, DCJIS, and CORI regulations that bar queries for improper purposes--for example, to find out what type of car Tom Brady drives or to lookup where the cute Dunkin Donuts cashier lives.

Do you know what a "III" or "Triple I" look-up is? MSP did it on a Pakistani national earlier today and I've never heard of it.

ETA: Nvm - found it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Identification_Index

Last edited:
Our plate readers check the out of state plates, too

They may check the out of state plates too. But, does that database download really identify every page in the county that is being sought after for an offense?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

Do you know what a "III" or "Triple I" look-up is? MSP did it on a Pakistani national earlier today and I've never heard of it.

ETA: Nvm - found it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Identification_Index
Triple I is part of NLETS, which is the system that links all the state databases. Every LTC applicant gets run through III as well.

In MA, most all state and local agencies access all these various databases via DCJIS, the old Criminal History Systems Board in Chelsea, which is also home to the Firearms Records Bureau.

Well I guess it's good that they're saving the taxpayers a few bucks on the 3G bill.
It's not even so much of a money thing, but that fact by the time info comes back after querying the state database, the oncoming car would be long gone. It's quicker to keep the info on the local computer.

Reader alarm goes off, you take action to make sure you don't loose the car, and confirm in the live database.

My issue with the readers is that it wouldn't be a leap to log the dates and times of every read it makes. Compare that log with the date and time of cruiser GPS fixes and you can essentially log where every vehicle you pass on your shift was at any given time. Put those plate readers on every car in an agency, and bam--your location is logged any time you pass a cop on the road. Considering most of us pass a cop every time we leave the house, you could see where this leads.

Last edited:
It's not even so much of a money thing, but that fact by the time info comes back after querying the state database, the oncoming car would be long gone. It's quicker to keep the info on the local computer.

Reader alarm goes off, you take action to make sure you don't loose the car, and confirm in the live database.

You are spoiled my friend!

Back in the early 1980s, access to LEAPS was strictly thru a paper-tape query typed in teletype style. To give you an idea of how "good" the system was, I stopped a car, called dispatch to run a query (long before computers in cruisers were even a dream) and was back at the station before the query came back . . . 45 minutes after running the query, I tore the yellow sheet off the teletype with my response!!

Do you know what a "III" or "Triple I" look-up is? MSP did it on a Pakistani national earlier today and I've never heard of it. ETA: Nvm - found it, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interstate_Identification_Index

Triple I is the Interstate Identification Index and it indicates whether a person has a criminal record with prints on file and what states or if the FBI has prints on file. It's routine and been around forever. They run a Triple I on you when you apply or renew your LTC, it's basically your national criminal record.

Back
Top Bottom