The Sheriff arrest an INDIAN i think??

I made a trip to my favorite TOY-Store today, Kittery Trading Post.
and i could not leave that darn rifle behind the counter, i had to see it up
close, it was chuka-block full of cosmoline! "sniff, sniff, ahh the sweet smell,
it was like perfume on a Victoria,s Secret Model. the long stock the round BUTT
well you know what i mean!! i could not leave her there alone to be man-handled, so i took her to my place to be man-handled!! anywho i hope
JON J pops in and lets me know just what i have here.
it looks like a S.M.L.E. number 1MK111 but i believe it is from INDIA an
ISHAPOR it has a crest and under the crest is

CREST
RIFLE
.762mm 2A1
R.F.M i think the last letter is M ??

so what do i have and where in JON J when you need him????

thanks sheriff dudley

Yup, sounds like an Ishy, the date, the .308 cal, 2A1. There should be a bolt through the stock. Known as an "Ishy" bolt. RFM, maybe RFI? RFI=Rifle Factory Ishapore.

Last edited:
Is there any reason not to buy an Ishapore rifle? I kind of like the idea of a .308 SMLE from the ammo standpoint. Actually, from what I've read 7.62 Nato and .308 commercial are not the same round and 7.62 MilSurps should not be shot with .308 commercial. I think the chamber pressure is higher on the commercial weapons.

Speaking of which there are a couple of dealers out there that will ship to C&Rs. They have both #1 MKIII and #4 MKI rifles. One site has US Savage made weapons. All of them are listed as Good to Very Good condition. In real terms what can I expect if I order one of these?

Gary

Savage rifles are hot right now and I'd say these are a buy em while you can rifle. I paid for a handpick and it was worth it.
BTW, congrats on the Ishy Sheriff. I have a No.4 Mk1 with the "ishy" screw (big ugly wood screw through the stock that they thought strengthened em)
I don't have one in 308 though, and those are a neat little piece of military history. Lots of internet reading info out there on them including a piece recently done on surplusrifle.com

S.D.nabs an injun

Thanks JON J i knew you would be out there eventualy!! and i think what
you said about the R.F.M. being R.F.I.is correct because the I is faint
especilly unber that great paint job or is that called walmart spray blueing?
i might be in the Plymouth area this weekend i have to hookup with
pilgrim for some horse trading??mabbe??
thanks again for the info! now i have to go out and play with the toys that iv picked up recentley cause im all out of Kittery Gift certificates!!
oh where on the stock is the (ishy-bolt) located??

thanks again pardner Sheriff Dudley

Garys said:
Actually, from what I've read 7.62 Nato and .308 commercial are not the same round and 7.62 MilSurps should not be shot with .308 commercial. I think the chamber pressure is higher on the commercial weapons.

The chamber specs are slightly different. MILSPEC 7.62 NATO, especially US M80 Ball, M118 Match, M852 Match and M118LR are fairly hot loads. Indian 7.62 is hit and miss. Some cartridges are moderately hot, some not so hot (poor quality control). My recommendation is to be careful what ammo you use in a 7.62 SMLE, or 7.62 Small Ring Mauser. The rest of the guns should be OK, especially the semi-autos.

Good find...I just purcahsed a No1 MkIII SMLE India from Aim Surplus a while back they had these for $79 in good condition. I believe its in 303 britt but i'll check it out. I don't know too much about britt's.

BTW:I never heard about shooting 7,62nato or 308win out of a SMLE they do convert these actions to 45/70. I trust the Britt manufactured SMLE action to be very strong. But is the India action different? Its the small ring Spanish Mauser in 308 Cetme that is the problem but they say you can shoot the lower side of the 308win reloading specs in it but i haven't tried it in mine yet. I been thinking of converting it to 7,62x39 russian.

I have heard of problems with Indian 308 ammo with the cases splitting too besides the powder charge being too low to past max too. I have a ammo can full of indian but i may pull the bullets and change the powder/charge. There have been accidents with indian in fluted chambers like the Cetme.

Last edited:
Sheriff and the injun

Hay Bill check out the shooting mil-surp rifle.com. sight, on the Main page,
scroll down and see the artical about the last Enfields that were made,
that is the exact rifle im talking about and it tells about using stronger steel
and hardening proceses, etc;also further down that page it gives the whole story about .762 / versus / 308 Cal. and by the way i took her out for a test drive today, as my friend says " its a Yankee gun" she,s a KEEPA!

Take Care Sheriff Dudley!

BigBill said:
Good find...I just purcahsed a No1 MkIII SMLE India from Aim Surplus a while back they had these for $79 in good condition.

Bill, are you in MA? I just checked Aim Surplus' website and found the following:
-MASSACHUSETTS CUSTOMERS: 01 FFL Dealers may purchase handguns that are on the MA approved for sale list, rifles without high capacity magazines. No C&R firearms sales. No high capacity magazine sales to anyone or dealer in MA. No Ammunition Sales.

Sounds to me like they don't know our laws and are just plain afraid of our AG. [angry]

Back
Top Bottom