• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

The Powderhorn, Hyannis, MA

These guys are still living up to their reputation.
A friend of mine who recently received her LTC stopped in a couple weeks ago and was treated rudely. She was derided for asking questions and they acted as though letting her handle a couple different models of pistols was a huge bother. A couple remarks about "women and guns" were made which caused her to feel very uncomfortable. It was as though they didnt want to make a sale. She had the cash in her pocket but walked out after 15-20 minutes.
I warned her but she was in Hyannis and stopped in while driving by.
She wont be going back.

I stopped into Powder Horn finally with my daughter. At first we got the hard looks but I asked about O/U shotguns, he asked to see my LTC and once I showed him they fell over themselves to show both of us everything they had in O/Us. Two really nice old timers who treated my daughter very well, (good thing)
I also met the owner and he seemed fine. Funny when you read the threads some shops are good to people and not to others. maybe all the shops get together to screw with people!

I liked powder horn when I used to work in hyannis. I think they tend to come across as grumpy because there is an endless stream of vacationers coming in to kick the tires, and they probably waste a ton of time on people that are just killing time and have no intention of making a purchase. Once they realize you are serious, they open up a bit. Not defending their way of doing business, just my observations

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I liked powder horn when I used to work in hyannis. I think they tend to come across as grumpy because there is an endless stream of vacationers coming in to kick the tires, and they probably waste a ton of time on people that are just killing time and have no intention of making a purchase. Once they realize you are serious, they open up a bit. Not defending their way of doing business, just my observations

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Problem with the logic, it that as an owner, you never know who the tire kicker is and who's ready to buy.

You're forgiven, Len, we were just ribbing you. No apologies needed.

How do you shoot them? :D

Adam

It's a new Mass compliant safety device. [lol]

NO, you just have to shake them really hard to get them to go off...

Sure.

Go ahead and laugh it up, everybody.

I give it six months before somebody in the MA Executive Office of Public Safety or AG's office reads this thread and thinks "Oooo, yes, triggerless--that's what we'll insist on next for firearms to be on the list!"

They get an endless line of people with out any license asking tons of questions with no intent to buy and illegals window shopping I can only imagine that I would grow tired of it. It can be a very bust place and they have taken care of me over the years.

The Powderhorn

As a Cape resident for over thirty years, I'm sorry to say that I cannot recommend The Powderhorn. I expect prices on Cape to be a bit higher then the "major" retailers such as Cabella's but the prices in general are not competitive. I cannot recall any attempt to update or maintain the store interior. In short, its dull and dirty.

When you operate a business in a small town, it's essential to build relationships with your local customer base. Marc and the employees however are indifferent at best and all too often condescending and rude.

I've seen Marc get short with people, but I've never seen most of his employees condescending or rude. Some of them are just the opposite, in fact.

I've seen Marc get short with people, but I've never seen most of his employees condescending or rude. Some of them are just the opposite, in fact.

I would agree. Jerry is gem, very helpful and not at all condescending. It's Marc who goes off the deep end now and then.

Like everyone else has already stated place sucks...The last incident..me and few buddies called up talked to some lady asked her if she had any Federal 3 1/2" 00 buck...She replies we've got loads of it. Drive over there and some tool kid tells us they never carried it and only have 3" 000 buck and that we should us that instead because 00 sucks....OK DEER KILLER... The one that was the icing on the cake was when i wanted the R-15 in 204 ruger. Mark said he was going to a show and would call me with a price as that was the easiest and quickest way to do things..He called me with the wrong gun and a 2300.00 price...I explained wrong gun and wrong guy.. He preceded to tell me, no that was what I told him to order..told him where to go and called four seasons...Drove up and picked up the R-15 for 1050.00 the next day....

THE CAPE NEEDS A DECENT GUN SHOP....somthing like fourseasons.. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THE POWDERHORN...

Like everyone else has already stated place sucks...The last incident..me and few buddies called up talked to some lady asked her if she had any Federal 3 1/2" 00 buck...She replies we've got loads of it. Drive over there and some tool kid tells us they never carried it and only have 3" 000 buck and that we should us that instead because 00 sucks....OK DEER KILLER... The one that was the icing on the cake was when i wanted the R-15 in 204 ruger. Mark said he was going to a show and would call me with a price as that was the easiest and quickest way to do things..He called me with the wrong gun and a 2300.00 price...I explained wrong gun and wrong guy.. He preceded to tell me, no that was what I told him to order..told him where to go and called four seasons...Drove up and picked up the R-15 for 1050.00 the next day....

THE CAPE NEEDS A DECENT GUN SHOP....somthing like fourseasons.. DONT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THE POWDERHORN...

There are plenty of people willing to help you get what you need here on the cape..FFL FINDER ..

I've had mixed experiences with this shop. I dropped off my AR upper to have a FSB pinned on and was told it would take 1-2 weeks. I'm seriously debating taking my business up the road to ACME...

I've had mixed experiences with this shop. I dropped off my AR upper to have a FSB pinned on and was told it would take 1-2 weeks. I'm seriously debating taking my business up the road to ACME...

I have no experience with ACME, but if you're on cape and don't want to use the Powderhorn, Dan Dumont down at ODS guns in S Yarmouth is a great guy to deal with.

This is because its sent up the road to the gunsmith who does their work

They are right across from my gym. I peered in the window and it looked closed. I take it This isn't the case?

Well, the gun store is a separate room/building inside the snow mobile shop. He does have rather limited hours (check the website/FB page), but is pretty flexible about them if you contact him and let him know when you can make it down there.

As a Cape resident for over thirty years, I'm sorry to say that I cannot recommend The Powderhorn. I expect prices on Cape to be a bit higher then the "major" retailers such as Cabella's but the prices in general are not competitive. I cannot recall any attempt to update or maintain the store interior. In short, its dull and dirty.

When you operate a business in a small town, it's essential to build relationships with your local customer base. Marc and the employees however are indifferent at best and all too often condescending and rude.

I agree 100%

Fred

Thank you for thinking of Acme. We don't pin muzzle devices, sights, etc. We have Mike Pigney in Taunton do them but it sounds like you have a good recomendation from Delta below.

I have no experience with ACME, but if you're on cape and don't want to use the Powderhorn, Dan Dumont down at ODS guns in S Yarmouth is a great guy to deal with.

I did a manshopping day today. Started at The Outdoor shop in Yarmouth, got some .357 ammo, .22 cci mini mag and some targets. I then went down to Hyannis to the Powderhorn to see what their latest pricing was.... Everything was 30 to 40% higher than everyone else. A federal ammo can of .223 (420 rounds) was $189.00, 9mm ammo was $15.99 a box... A Stag #8 was $979.00... I paid $699.00 at Four Seasons 6 months ago... Mossberg 500 was $579.00... God I hate this place... Off to Harbor Freight tools on rte 132 Hyannis... bunch of cheap made in China tools.. But I had to see it for myself. Then on to Home Depot (Hyannis) and then BJ's for a full tenderloin....

Powderhorn sucks, always has always will (until someone buys the place and runs it like a non-douchebag).

A federal ammo can of .223 (420 rounds) was $189.00

Off to Harbor Freight tools on rte 132 Hyannis..

That price for .223 isn't terrible, Four Seasons is only $10 cheaper.

Jealous about the HF, when I lived on Cape, I used to drive to the HF in Providence...

A few weeks ago I emailed a bunch of shops looking for a 6" GP100. Most responded saying they don't have one, they can order one, but they have no idea when it'd come in. Marc, from Powderhorn, replied that he had one in stock and he would hold it for me for two weeks (soonest I could make it down to the shop.) I asked him a number of questions via email and he always responded quickly. When I got to the shop yesterday, I didn't speak to Marc, as he was busy, but I was instead helped by a younger employee. No fussing around, he got straight down to business; not in a rude way, but simply without random useless chitchat. I did overhear Marc ask three teenage-looking tire-kickers for their permits and they didn't have any but rather walked in looking for arrows or something. I think it's reasonable to ask to see an LTC, especially considering that being on the Cape the shop probably gets a lot of "just browsing" folks who aren't licensed. The two shop dogs are great too! Overall, a nice experience; no issues whatsoever.

I recently visited this place while on business travel. All I can say is how can you run a business with miserable people including the owner? First guy looks at me and does not ask if I need help. Saw a guy working there raise his voice to a customer looking to order a pistol. Very condescending with me not knowing that I collect and have extensive knowledge about German made Sigs. Not rocket science but if you treat your customers well your sales WILL increase!

I recently visited this place while on business travel. All I can say is how can you run a business with miserable people including the owner? First guy looks at me and does not ask if I need help. Saw a guy working there raise his voice to a customer looking to order a pistol. Very condescending with me not knowing that I collect and have extensive knowledge about German made Sigs. Not rocket science but if you treat your customers well your sales WILL increase!

Death, Taxes and poor service at the Powderhorn. At least three things in life are certain....

Back
Top Bottom